Bugle choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bugle choices

Been through the forum a bit and found several suggestions on bugles but links are old and no longer any good. I looked around trying to find a decent fairly accurate bugle but have fallen short. I'm afraid that I don't know what all to look for.
    I'm looking for suggestions on what would be a good bugle to look for. I do want this to be playable as well as look proper. I should add that I am an experienced trumpeter having played from jr. High through college and in a couple of orchestras. I just never had need of a bugle.
    This would also do dual duty as I am also looking at playing Taps for military funerals that ask for a bugler.
    Stuart Waldmuller

Re: Bugle choices

The most prevalent bugle (both sides) was patterned on the French clarion (clarion = bugle in French). Single coil wrap. American was often but not always in C with Bb pigtail, in copper with brass furniture. French clairons were imported during the war; all brass. British 1855 duty bugle is NEVER correct.

Likely your best option is a an old Couesnon Bb clarion. Many successful bugler reenactors play one. Not as abundant on that auction site as they were 10-15 years ago, but still around. I looked a couple of months ago on the French version of the auction site, and there were a number listed. There is also an old Mexican army copy of the clairon that plays well; tuning slide/receiver has distinctive grab tabs.

Other options:
    - the Berger repro, if you can find one second hand. I sold mine, didn't play well for me. First production run non-standard receiver.
    - Naumann repro, top notch, haven't seen anybody willing to part with one for years. Yeah, that Naumann who bought Schilke.
    - Amati used to sell a clarion style bugle; needs lacquer removed. Couesnon plays better.

hope this helps

edit - look at other French made brands of clairons, too
    Last edited by bean_counter; 08-05-2017, 09:46 PM. Reason: more info
    Kevin McDonald
    104th Illinois Volunteer Infantry
    Regimental Volunteer Band of Wisconsin

Comment

Thanks a lot Kevin. I missed out on an old French bugle at an antique store a couple of days ago. It would have been perfect. Had I been 10 minutes earlier I could have gotten a good one for $27.
      I'll keep looking for a Couesnon. I'm not in any hurry as I'm needing a lot more for my impression. So, I should be able to find a good bugle.

Once I do, I'll practice hard. I can already feel my chops burning.....
      Stuart Waldmuller

Comment

Ah, the burn. I learned by making a tape of the calls and buzzing them on a mouthpiece while driving back and forth to work.

You might want to look at Jari Villanueva's site if you haven't. http://tapsbugler.com/civil-war-re-e...or-the-bugler/

Good luck!
        Kevin McDonald

Comment

duplicate post
          Last edited by bean_counter; 08-08-2017, 08:44 AM. Reason: oops
          Kevin McDonald

Comment

Originally posted by bean_counter View Post
            Ah, the burn. I learned by making a tape of the calls and buzzing them on a mouthpiece while driving back and forth to work.

You might want to look at Jari Villanueva's site if you haven't. http://tapsbugler.com/civil-war-re-e...or-the-bugler/

Good luck!
            I played trumpet for 15 years from jr. High, through college, and even with some orchestra. I stopped playing and sold my trumpets to help pay medical bills. I found one of my mouthpieces last week. This......this is gonna hurt.
            I've been looking at his site off and on. I've got a lot to learn. I figured that since I won't be able to participate as a soldier that the least I could do is perform my duties as a bugler and know my stuff. So much reading...
            Stuart Waldmuller

Comment

Working...
            X