De-farbing a fiddle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: De-farbing a fiddle?

[QUOTE=Daniel Partner]Here is a link to a Union soldier's violin that is in the National Music Museum at the University of South Dakota. ttp://www.usd.edu/smm/CivilWarViolin.html

Did anyone notice the guitar-type machine tuners on that Civil War fiddle that belonged to Capt. Cross? I've never seen that before, and those tuners remind me of mandolin tuners. I thought that fiddles of that era would certainly have only friction-peg tuners, but obviously I was wrong. Anyone out there know anything about the kinds of tuners found on that fiddle?

John Keller
    Milford, N.H.

Comment

Re: De-farbing a fiddle?

I play my fiddle without a chin rest, with the instrument on my shoulder. It is not supported by my chin, but by my left hand and shoulder (as seen in the image here: http://www.musurgia.com/ebay/694_1.jpg)

The reason I don't use a chin rest is because I must sing while I play. I can also play with the fiddle down my arm against my upper arm and chest. I don't like this, however, because it does not place my left hand in the best position for playing and incapaciates my little finger.

I've seen images of musicians playing in both positions. What is your opinion of these playing positions? Also, what gauge strings do you use?

Comment

Working...
      X