Catgut Strings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catgut Strings

I'm not very fluent when it comes to authentic banjos, other than I play an 1887 banjo with modern nylon strings. Since I'm still learning to play, my instructor (who used to be an authentic himself) suggested I use nylon. He informed me recently that if I wanted, I could request by special order authentic catgut strings in order to string it up correctly for events. However, since I'm so new at this, I had a few questions that I thought someone might be able to help me with.

First of all, how much more difficult is it to play clawhammer style with catgut strings on the banjo? Is catgut really the most authentic material to be using for Civil War-era strings, or should I be looking at something different entirely? And finally, how greatly will the catgut strings effect the sound of the banjo/do they need to be strung tighter/looser/same, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Also, if anyone knows of a particular authentic catgut string dealer let me know. There might very well be differences in the quality of catgut strings that I don't know about but would very much like to!
    [SIZE="4"][B][COLOR=RoyalBlue]Eric Michael Burke[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
    [B][I][SIZE="2"][COLOR="SlateGray"]"BLACKJACK!"[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I][/B]
    [I][URL="http://www.saltriverrifles.com"]Salt River Rifles[/URL][/I]

[URL="http://xvcorps.blogspot.com/"]Forty Rounds: Fifteenth Army Corps, 1862-1865[/URL], Blog Owner.

[SIZE="1"][i][U][B][COLOR="DimGray"]In Proud Memorium:[/COLOR][/B][/U]
    [B]Pvt. James Swingler Chandler (3x Great Grandfather)
    [/B]Co. H, 111th Illinois Volunteer Infantry
    [B]Pvt. John D. Linthicum (4x Great Grandfather)
    [/B]Co. F, 118th Illinois Volunteer Infantry
    [B]Pvt. Martin Van Buren Straight (3x Great Grandfather)
    [/B]Co. E, 23rd Missouri Volunteer Infantry
    [B]Cpl. Andreas Schoen (3x Great Grandfather)
    [/B]Co. A, 30th Missouri Volunteer Infantry
    [B]Pvt. Madison Burke (3x Great Grandfather)
    [/B]Battery B, 1st Ohio Volunteer Heavy Artillery
    [B]Pvt. Eli Bell (4x Great Grandfather)
    [/B]Co. C, 31st Alabama Infantry[/i][/SIZE]

Re: Catgut Strings

Since the banjo that you play is not from the period, the use of gut strings really does not add or detract from the overall authenticity. My recomendation is that you stick to the nylon until you move into a period instrument. This is even more true if the banjo is fretted as most gut strings are not "rectified" for fretted instruments and may therefore buzz.

As to your other questions:

Nylon and gut are both just as playable in any style of banjo. Gut give a better "presence" under the finger and I think is a bit easier to play, but only in the correct gauges. You need to get the right string for the tuning used. The advantage to nylon is the long lasting nature of the material. On the down side is a duller tone and lack of authenticity.

So far as authenticity goes, yes gut is correct. To be specific, gut violin strings are correct. This is not true of the fourth string which should be wound in silvered copper wire with either a gut or silk core. Of over 40 period immages (1845-1860) that clearly show the strings, all of them show a wound fourth. This is also confirmed by 10 period paintings that clearly show the silver forth. The period instruction manuals all refer to gut violin strings for the banjo with a guitar of banjo fourth. Guitar strings of the period were plain gut for strings 1-3 and wound silk( post 1830, wound gut before) for strings 4-6. It is important to use period violin gauges to be fully correct. Gut banjo sets not made for the minstrel banjo will be of gauges not documented to be used during ther period. They may also be for the later higher pitched tunings of the 1880's and 90's. LaBella classical sets will not do well on a Civil War instrument. LaBella early banjo sets are quite good .

As for sound, they sound great if they are correct in gauge and well maintained. I prefer them to nylon. So far as tuning goes, if you use violin strings and tune them to the correct period Dgdf#a or as Buckley, Rice and later books show, one full step higher, they the sound will be very pleasing.

The problem with placing these strings on an 1880's banjo is that the nut slots will problably not accept these larger gauges of string. You might have to modify the banjo and if the nut is original, you will be reducing the value of the instrument by doing this.

As for loosening the strings, it depends on the tuning you currently use. If you use the correct set in the correct tuning, there is no problem.

I hope this helps. If you need anything else, I can copy some of my string research for you or provide specific documentation as needed.

George Wunderlich
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]George Wunderlich
    Executive Director
    National Museum of Civil War Medicine and
    The Letterman Institute [/FONT]

Comment

Confused as to the differences between my banjo and one of the period. From my research, I found period banjos to be running for thousands of dollars. I'm not willing to lay down that kind of money for a banjo.

[URL="http://xvcorps.blogspot.com/"]Forty Rounds: Fifteenth Army Corps, 1862-1865[/URL], Blog Owner.

Comment

You are very correct about current banjo prices. I would never use an original however. There are several good reporduction makers out ther who can provide instruments well under $1500 each ( $1500 being the top some can run less than half that).

The differnce between your banjo and a period banjo can best be explained by getting the book "America's Instrument" or "Birth of the Banjo". Both can help. In the simplest terms, banjos before 1865 were rarely fretted, had deeper pots, larger heads and far less hardware than those made after 1870. Peg head shapes and neck profiles are also quite different from the pre- war and post war period. Lastly the vast majority of instruments that had fifth string pegs that came up through the finger board rather than in from the side.

Also, are you learning a period style? The Brigg's, Buckley, Rice and Converse manuals are all reprinted and available from Elderly Music in Lansing MI. These are the correct tutors for the period we portray. The other styles of playing are more modern. This includes most all forms of clawhammer. If the archives come back soon, you can see some very good discussions on playing style. If you use on the book mentioned above you will be in good shape.
        [FONT="Book Antiqua"]George Wunderlich
        Executive Director
        National Museum of Civil War Medicine and
        The Letterman Institute [/FONT]

Comment

George, thank so much for your help! You're obviously very informed on the topic.

Comment

Working...
          X