This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Common (?) Songs

Thank you Mr. Jaeger for your list of songs, I'll be sure to look them up before the season starts. Don't worry about Lili Marlene, I can't even think of the tune to start with and a WWII impression is many years off anyway to start. Merry Christmas!
    Mark Krausz
    William L. Campbell
    Prodigal Sons Mess of Co. B 36th IL Inf.
    Old Northwest Volunteers
    Agents Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Comment

Sorry to burst your bubble Andrew. The Moravian Band of the 26th North Carolina was recognized as one of the finest bands in the Army of Northern Virgina. This brass band's music is published, and includes an early war arrangement of the Irish Jaunty Car tune, "The Bonnie Blue Flag".

Whether or not a brass band, fife, banjo, guitar, piano, organ, or any other instrumentally performed piece was sung with or without instrumental accompaniement I'll leave to your search of the OR's, diaries, and regimental histories. From my knowledge of period music and musicians (professional or amateur) I'd say it was sung by the singers amongst the troops.....in camp, on the march, and maybe even in battle. I have been known to sing Handel's Messiah, Morgenrot (auf Deutsch), America (nice Lutheran Hymn from Sweden), and untold number of instrumentally accompanied pieces...most of them referenced in period writings. Most sheet music, including "The Bonnie Blue Flag" did a brisk business with the soldiers...different verses and arrangements as well.

I do have direct references to "Maryland, My Maryland" being sung by common ordinary soldiers of the Army of Northern Virginia during the 1st Invasion of Maryland while on the march. Of course this instrumentally accompanied tune (also in the 26th NC band music) was in German originally......but that didn't stop the Rebs from singing it....in English, with or without instrumental accompaniement, and with different words.....

RJ Samp
      RJ Samp
      (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
      Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

Forgot to give the Punch Line to my post

I wanted to find out...Has the Bonnie Blue Flag been made into more than what it really was?

Regards,
        Andrew Stebbins

the 26th NC Band, one of the more popular and widely heard bands in the ANV, did in fact have the music for "The Bonnie Blue Flag" as part of it's standard repetoire.

1. recall how far a brass band can be heard at night if you want a clue on by how many this specific song was heard. the answer is Miles. whether the singers in the army sang it later, or concurrently, is best left to your research.

2. the second stanza of the arrangement is another popular song....a Northern Abolitionist song from a New York minstrel song..... yep, it's DIXIE.

so every time they heard the Bonnie Blue Flag played they also heard Dixie, and vice versa.

It is written that the 26th NCT band played this arrangment as HETH moved out of Cashtown on the way to Gettysburg on July 1st, 1863.

RJ Samp
        RJ Samp
        (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
        Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

[COLOR=Red]Hallo Kameraden und Kameradinnen!

Thank you all for trying to redeem and salvage this juvenile Flame Bait/Chain Jerking post.

I would ask that when these appear, please report the Post to the Moderators instead of responding to the posters who like pulling your chains and getting you to respond as part of their games and entertainment.

Please do not reward the behavior, it only encourages more of the same, and emboldens the perp.

Some of the purposes of the AC Forum are to promote and foster serious, researched, and documentable discussion of Civil War soldier impressions, and serve as a research resource for newer progressive authentic campaigner and striving hardcore/authentic members on uniform, equipment, life style, and resource/reference questions.

Even if this type of post were actually sincere, the question here is, at best, Blatant Farbism" (BF), camp fire gossip, and spreading farb culture hearsay. We are trying to have a forum more serious than that. We decline to be manipulated for someone's warped sense of pleasure...

Thank you.

Curt Heinrich Schmidt
          Last edited by Curt Schmidt; 06-24-2004, 07:09 PM.
          Curt Schmidt
          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
          -Vastly Ignorant
          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Working...
          X