german civil war songs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: german civil war songs

Although a mix of periods, if you happen upon a song of the period and need the lyricks you might find it here; http://ingeb.org/Volksong.html . Just a thought, but it might help.
    Tony Evans[FONT="Georgia"][/FONT][FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="6"][COLOR="DarkOrchid"][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

"I ain't no damn Yank, I'm a Rebel." My Father's reply to an Australian greeting during WWII.

Comment

Great thread. I've been trying to find some German songs to sing around the campfire and annoy my pards with.
      - Pvt. S. Martin Aksentowitz
      1st California Co. F
      Carleton's Cannibals

[CENTER][COLOR="Red"]Angst kommt; da werden sie Heil suchen, aber es wird nicht zu finden sein.- HESEKIEL 7.25[/COLOR][/CENTER]

[CENTER]"To day we. . . stopped a few minutes to examine the crumbling ruins the walls were defaced with Texians traitors names and Texican Braggodocia but nary a Texican thare to answer to his name or make good his writing on the wall."
      -Eli W. Hazen, 1st California Vol. Inf.[/CENTER]

[RIGHT][COLOR="Silver"]"Credo Quio Absurdum" - ECV[/COLOR][/RIGHT]

Comment

If this thread is still viable: Jerry Ernst has performances of "Morganrot" and "Die Lorelie" in German on two of the CDs of CW music he has available through cdbaby.com I know that he's done research at the Sibley Library of the Eastman School of Music, so if there are questions regarding original tunes or lyrics he may be able to help. The last email address I had for him is jerund at frontiernet.net (forgive the notation, I don't want him flooded by spammers).
        Last edited by styler; 02-01-2007, 01:03 AM. Reason: caught unaware by the resurrection of an anciet thread
        [FONT=Times New Roman]-steve tyler-[/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Lone Guard View Post
          Great thread. I've been trying to find some German songs to sing around the campfire and annoy my pards with.
          Well two songbooks in period attire, one facsimile of an original CW soldiers songbook and one made in the same manner by us with typicaland proven German Civil War songs is still available at Mark Jaeger markj@purdue.edu

For 16$ you get a real nice piece. contact him!
          Jan H.Berger
          Hornist

German Mess
          http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

Jan and Mark,
            I don't know if this has been picked up yet on this thread, but the recent translation of German letters home (Germans in the Civil War) specifically mentions the song "Hinaus in die Ferne" being sung by the 8th New York as they marched into battle at Cross Keys: see http://ingeb.org/Lieder/hinausin.html or http://www.rcaguilar.com/lieder/texte/inferne.htm

I'd love to hear a recording of this, in lieu of which I think I'll try to get a couple verses memorized for the coming season:

Hinaus in die Ferne
            Mit lautem Hörnerklang,
            Die Stimmen erhebet
            Zum mächtigen Gesang.
            |: Der Freiheit Hauch
            Weht kräftig durch die Welt,
            Ein freies, frohes Leben
            Uns wohlgefällt. :|

Wir halten zusammen,
            Wie treue Brüder tun,
            Wenn Tod uns umtobet
            Und wenn die Waffen ruh'n.
            |: Uns alle treibt
            Ein reiner, freier Sinn,
            Nach einem Ziele streben
            Wir alle hin! :|
            Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Super Michael!!
              I am always searching for quotes!! We are already collecting songs for the next edition of our songbook. Another one which was sung by some Germans in the Washington Artillery of New Orleans was " Du, du liegst mir im Herzen"
              If you find more let me know please!!!
              Jan
              Jan H.Berger
              Hornist

German Mess

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

Jan -
                If you still need Du, du liegst mir im Herzen, I have it in Deutsche Lieder: Scherer und Dirts, published in 1913 by the American Book Company. I can scan it (one page) music and lyrics and send it to you.

Robert A. Mosher
                Last edited by Robert A Mosher; 02-06-2007, 12:32 PM. Reason: asnwered wrong post

Comment

Thanks Robert but I have that lyrics.
                  Jan H.Berger
                  Hornist

German Mess

www.lederarsenal.com

Comment

german songs

Hallo Kameraden,
                    I am Lokking for German songs, sung by civil war Soldiers. I know also a lot of them, like "Morgenrot", Du,du liegst mir am Herzen,(I found it in a German book called translated "the last of Eight", a Book of German Volunteers in The washington Atillery of New Orleans, published 1870 in Heidelberg(Germany) and Philadelphia. I looked out for letters , Memories or so on, were a song was called up. I hope that many of you had read such things.
                    Christof Bastert a.k.a Charles Kaiser, Private,
                    Co D, 17th Mo Vol Inf (Re)

In Memory of Anthony and Joseph Schaer,
                    Borlands Regiment/ 62nd Ark. Militia/Adams Inf./Cokes Inf.

German Mess

Comment

Re: german songs

Deutschen Soldatenlieder

Documented songs

“Marseillaise” (Possibly Arbeiter-Marseillaise) (32nd Indiana, reported in New York Times, 20 January 1862. Also mentioned as being played by the band in Chaplain Ganter's (15th Ohio) account of the Rowlett's Station burials in Frank Moore's Rebellion Record.

Schleswig-Holstein Meerumschlungen (I believe this is either mentioned in the 26th Wisconsin regimental history or 26th WVI letters of Frederick Winkler – reportedly played by the regimental band)

Das Treue Deutsche Herz (The Sigel Regiment, 26th Wisconsin)

In der Heimat ist es schoen (same as above)

Morgenrot, Morgenrot (Regimental History of the 9th Ohio (i.e., Die Neuner)

Wohlauf, Kameraden aufs Pferd (Mentioned in a Cincinnati newspaper as requested by August Willich of the 9th Ohio)

Die Fahnenwacht (Regimental anthem of Sigel’s 3rd Missouri Volunteer Infantry: Rowan, S., sel. and transl., Primm, J. N., intro. and comm. Germans for a Free Missouri: Translations from the St. Louis Radical Press, 1857-1862. Columbia MO: University of Missouri Press, 1983.)

Lyrics for all of the above (along with sound files for most) are listed on:

20,000 Volkslieder, German Folksongs, Genealogy, Ahnenforschung, lyrics lyric song Lied Lieder party canciones Oceanside Holiday, sechelt, vancouver, british columbia, bc, canada, kanada, bed breakfast, accommodation, lodging, britisch kolumbien, indianer

Some others to consider:

Ein Heller und ein Batzen (East Prussian tune, dates to at least 1830’s)
                      John Brown’s Body
                      Ein Feste Burg ist Unser Gott
                      Muß i' denn zum Städtele hinaus (1827)
                      Flamme empor!
                      Heckerlied

Some other traditional tunes likely known by many ethnic German troops are "Die Gedanken sind frei," "Ansbach Dragoner" (aka "Hohenfriedburger Marsch"), "Schwarzbraun ist die Haselnuss," and "Drei Lilien."

Auf YouTube findest du die angesagtesten Videos und Tracks. Außerdem kannst du eigene Inhalte hochladen und mit Freunden oder gleich der ganzen Welt teilen.

Auf YouTube findest du die angesagtesten Videos und Tracks. Außerdem kannst du eigene Inhalte hochladen und mit Freunden oder gleich der ganzen Welt teilen.

http://www.liedertafel.business.t-online.de/intro.htm (You can find many many tunes here in addition to the www.ingeb.org site)

Also try some Turnerlieder such as "Turner auf zum Streite."

Perennials like "Deutschland ueber alles" and "Die Wacht am Rhein," while of pre-Civil War origin, at most, do not appear to have been widely sung. "Deutschland ueber alles" did not gain official status as a German national anthem until 1922, while "Die Wacht am Rhein" doesn't seem to have entered wide popularity until the Franco-Prussian War of 1870-1871.

And, for God's sake, stay away from "Ein Prosit." From all indications, it wasn't composed any earlier than the late 1890's.

Bis bald,

Mark Jaeger
                      Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Mark has most of them well covered. (I love singing "Muss i' denn".) I'll only suggest "Kriegslied der Division Blenker", and some others that you can find at http://www.gtg1848.de/ (Geschichtstheatergesellschaft e.V.)

You might also consider some hymns & carols. "Grosser Gott, wir loben dich", "Nun danket alle Gott", "Stille Nacht" and "Es ist ein Ros' entsprungen", would be but a few.

herzliche Grüße,
                        Last edited by GermanDraftee; 11-24-2007, 01:12 AM.
                        [I][/I]Die Gedanken sind frei
                        John Thielmann[I][/I]

Comment

And for the season:

"Stille Nacht", "O Tannenbaum" und "Es ist ein Ros' entsprungen". Silent Night in particular is interesting because I remember reading somewhere that the lyrics were not translated into English until 1863. Of course "Tannenbaum" was a popular melody among Americans as well.

There was a great forum on here once about German songs that we all succesfully collected together, don't know if it is still around on the AC though.

Gut Heil,
                          Your Obedient,

Matthew B. Bursig
                          52nd New York Regt. "German Rangers",
                          & The Daybreak B'hoys Mess

Researching the Life and Times of the 20th NYSV Regt. The "United Turner Rifles"

"Bahn Frei!!"

Comment

Those looking into historical German Christmas songs or hymns might want to check out O Du Froehliche, one of the most popular German carols. It is actually a translation of the original Marian Latin Hymn from the 17th century entitled O Sanctissima, and translated into English as O Thou Joyful Day. If the name doesn't ring a bell, as soon as you hear the beautiful and very singable melody, you will recognize it. You can go on line and hear many recordings, including the Vienna Boys Choir.
                            Eric Marten

Comment

The English translation of "Stille Nacht" that we know was done by Reverend John Freeman Young, then an Episcopal priest in New York and later Bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Florida. And yes, his translation is dated to 1863. (Bill Egan: http://www.silentnight.web.za/history/index.htm Go to the "articles" page and click on "The Florida Connection.")
                              [I][/I]Die Gedanken sind frei
                              John Thielmann[I][/I]

Comment

Herr Thielmann suggested, above, looking at the "Geschichtstheatergesellschaft e.V." web site. One of the songs listed there is "The Why and the Wherefore" an American version of a German "traditional song". The German song is called "Es, Es, Es und Es" and is dated (by one German folk song web site) to the 1780s. I believe you will find it (and a melody file) at the http://ingeb.org/Volksong.html site that someone else recommended above. Lots of dated material on that site, as well as at http://www.musicanet.org/robokopp/Volksong.html.

Without repeating any of the fine material already suggested by others above, some of my own favorites include:

Ins Feld, Ins Feld Mit Hecker (tune:Ich Hatt' Einenen Kameraden)
                                Es Leben Die Soldaten (1813)
                                Ich Hatt' Einenen Kameraden (words: 1809; melody:1825)
                                Der Gott der Eisen Wachsen Liess (1812..and pretty blood-thirsty!)
                                ...and of course...
                                Die Gedanken Sind Frei (1815)

Lebe wohl, Kamerad!
                                Dan Munson
                                Co. F, 1st Calif. V.I.
                                5th Wisc./10th Va.

Comment

Working...
                                X