german civil war songs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: german songs

Christof, you should state that we are already aware of the songs of the Theatergesellschaft and all the other songs we have collected, I mean if you search for more you should state which songs we already have as your question about German songs was already asked here by me a while back.
    I think we mainly search for everyday songs. Christmas and Church songs still sung today were of course alrady in wide use. But we search for songs with provenance in letters etc.
    Thank you!
    Jan H.Berger
    Hornist

German Mess
    http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

Christof, you should state that we are already aware of the songs of the Theatergesellschaft and all the other songs we have collected, I mean if you search for more you should state which songs we already have as your question about German songs was already asked here by me a while back.
      I think we mainly search for everyday songs. Christmas and Church songs still sung today were of course already in wide use. But we search for songs with provenance in letters etc.
      Thank you!
      Jan H.Berger
      Hornist

German Mess

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

Hi Jan,

Well, at least you know that we paid attention to the things that you (and others) told us.

Die herzlichsten Wünsche für ein frohes Weinachtfest und ein glückliches Neues Jahr.

(Feel free to correct my German. I'm still learning.)
        [I][/I]Die Gedanken sind frei
        John Thielmann[I][/I]

Comment

Vielen Dank John! Da gibt es nichts zu korrigieren. Auch Euch allen ein frohes Weihnachtsfest und einen guten Rutsch ins neue Jahr!
          Jan H.Berger
          Hornist

German Mess

www.lederarsenal.com

Comment

Hallo John,
            da kann ich mich nur anschließen,. Allen ein frohes Fest, und ein glückliches Jahr 2008!
            Christof Bastert a.k.a Charles Kaiser, Private,
            Co D, 17th Mo Vol Inf (Re)

In Memory of Anthony and Joseph Schaer,
            Borlands Regiment/ 62nd Ark. Militia/Adams Inf./Cokes Inf.

German Mess

Comment

Hallo Jan,
              what you wrote in your post is correct, but remember I wrote in my first post, that I am looking for Information from out of letters or memorys. I think the Problem is, that Letters or Memorys in German are worthless for the most of the Amerikans, because ththey cannt read them. I have a problem with the Sütterlin typographig too. I think there could be many interresting thinks be written in the letters, but the Amerikan own them, but could not read, and we could read, but we dont own them. So to our american friends, who own such a memorablia, is it possible to copy, and to mail it to us? I have some neighbours who can read it(Sütterlin). I will translate them to english and send back, so that everyone can use the Information.
              Christof Bastert a.k.a Charles Kaiser, Private,
              Co D, 17th Mo Vol Inf (Re)

In Memory of Anthony and Joseph Schaer,
              Borlands Regiment/ 62nd Ark. Militia/Adams Inf./Cokes Inf.

German Mess

Comment

Charles & Jan,
                Am Weihnachtstag, als meine Familie singt "O Tannenbaum" und "Stille Nacht", Ich werde anheben Ein stein von rauchbier auf Ihre Gesundheit und Glück.

John
                [I][/I]Die Gedanken sind frei
                John Thielmann[I][/I]

Comment

:)Danke John!
                  So if anybody might be in possesion of original letters written in German, copies of them would be really a neat thing! The translations would follow;)
                  Jan H.Berger
                  Hornist

German Mess

www.lederarsenal.com

Comment

My turnverein has in their archives many papers pertaining to the 20th NY Turner Regt. I am in the process going through these papers and transcribing many of them. A great deal of them are in German. Unfortunately, the sorting and reading of these documents has become a long process since I started teaching this year, and don't have much time for independent research. When I get more time and if I come across something I can't handle reading/translating I will let our kameraden im deutschland know.

Prosit,

Matt
                    Your Obedient,

Matthew B. Bursig
                    52nd New York Regt. "German Rangers",
                    & The Daybreak B'hoys Mess

Researching the Life and Times of the 20th NYSV Regt. The "United Turner Rifles"

"Bahn Frei!!"

Comment

• Re: german songs

Matt, you are welcome to do so!!
                      Jan
                      Jan H.Berger
                      Hornist

German Mess

www.lederarsenal.com

Comment

Working...
                      X