Questions and Tips needed for the Bugle, Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions and Tips needed for the Bugle, Please

I am a "Fresh Fish" just getting into Civil War reenacting and in the process of teaching myself all the Infantry Bugle Calls from a book & tape set. it is a slow process asI can't read music so am doing it from ear. I really don't know much about Horn music or music in general.

I want to do it right so I would like to ask some tips from some of you out there if I may.

I have a reproduction Bugle ($40, made in India, as seen in most of the sutler catologs) - while it has a decent tone, you really have to have a set of lungs to use it. Is this a decent Bugle to start with or would I do better to just hang it on the wall to catch dust? Would getting a better mouth piece help things?

Second, would an Infantry Bugler have carried a pistol or lugged his rifle along with the rest of the troops?

Third, I have seen Cavalry Buglers with the extra trim stripes across the front of their jackets - did INFANTRY Buglers do this or was this just limited to the Cavalry?

Lastly, any basic tips from other Buglers out there that would help or make things easier would be GREATLY appreciated. :wink_smil

Tks for the help.
    S!
    Last edited by ; 07-05-2004, 02:16 AM.

Re: Questions and Tips needed for the Bugle, Please

Hi Andrew,

It appears the "American Civil War Bugler" website is still down (I couldn't immediately find a URL that worked). However, in the meantime, look at this website:

Taps Bugler: Jari Villanueva - Links

Also, look through previous threads using the above "Search" function as some or all of your questions have been addressed before.

Finally, contact R. J. Samp "Horniste Extraordinaire" as he's as knowledgeable as anyone in this area:

rjsamp@ameritech.net

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
    Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Re: Questions and Tips needed for the Bugle Please

Originally posted by Andrew Fraize
      I am a "Fresh Fish" just getting into Civil War reenacting and in the process of teaching myself all the Infantry Bugle Calls from a book & tape set. it is a slow process asI can't read music so am doing it from ear. I really don't know much about Horn music or music in general.

I want to do it right so I would like to ask some tips from some of you out there if I may.

I have a reproduction Bugle ($40, made in India, as seen in most of the sutler catologs) - while it has a decent tone, you really have to have a set of lungs to use it. Is this a decent Bugle to start with or would I do better to just hang it on the wall to catch dust? Would getting a better mouth piece help things?

Second, would an Infantry Bugler have carried a pistol or lugged his rifle along with the rest of the troops?

Third, I have seen Cavalry Buglers with the extra trim stripes across the front of their jackets - did INFANTRY Buglers do this or was this just limited to the Cavalry?

Lastly, any basic tips from other Buglers out there that would help or make things easier would be GREATLY appreciated. :wink_smil

Tks for the help.
      S!
      Well,
      First off I would say hang that bugle on the wall!
      I too started with a sutler bugle( a.k.a cheap reproduction of the 1855 british duty bugle) and I know how hard it is to play. get yourself an amati ( I have one I could sell you if you can afford $100.00) a new one will run you about $120.00 and any bugle that is cheaper than $100.00 usually isn't worth it. Also a good bugle to have is any french made clarion (almost identical to the kind used in the civil war) from around the turn of the century.

about the pistol, mounted buglers may have had them infantry definitly no. Take it from me you will not want to carry your rifle will you and your bugle after the first event ( very hard to juggle doing both at the same time).

The stripes on the coat of the cav. bugler you saw was musician piping, red for artillery, blue for infantry, yello for cav. In an early war senario you might have the piping but an authentic frock with authentic piping will run you about $500.00. after 1862 unless doing a garison even I would say no piping.

E-mail me off the board and I will give you some more info.
      and welcome to the music side of the hobby!

Comment

Thanks guys for the links and advice - BIG HELP in getting me started and MUCH appreciated.

Buglemann - have e-mailed you about the Bugle.

If we ever meet at a event it will be my pleasure to buy both of you gents a cup of coffee.

S!

Comment

I'm going to do something I've never done before and correct someone's spelling, but only because it is crucial if the young man wishes to look for a bugle on ebay: It's Clairon, not Clarion.

The Amati is a good bugle, I just got one for my son, who is taking it up.

I'd recommend that if you are not already a musician, it would not hurt to find one who can give you lessons to get you started. It will probably save you time and ease the pain.

Here is another website you may find useful.

Bill Watson
          Stroudsburg

Comment

Originally posted by billwatson
            I'm going to do something I've never done before and correct someone's spelling, but only because it is crucial if the young man wishes to look for a bugle on ebay: It's Clairon, not Clarion.

The Amati is a good bugle, I just got one for my son, who is taking it up.

I'd recommend that if you are not already a musician, it would not hurt to find one who can give you lessons to get you started. It will probably save you time and ease the pain.

Here is another website you may find useful.

http://www.grmouthpieces.com/
            Hello my friend,
            If you are interested I can offer you a french Clairon d'ordonance made by Couesnon for 100 plus shipping ( 15-30$ from Germany where I live, if you use paypal).
            It is better than the Amati because it has no modern stamp on it and it does not have the little distance rods between the tube like the Amati which the originals didn't have. Another source is a sutler here in Germany I can give you his email and webaddress if you are interested. He sells a VERY GOOD copy of the french bugle for 85€. You can pay him in US funds.
            Just let me know if I can be of further help.
            Regards
            J.H.Berger
            Hornist
            Jan H.Berger
            Hornist

German Mess
            http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

Buglemann - are you out there?

Did you get my e-mail? Your MSN spamblocker might have caught it. Please look and let me hear from you yea or nea.

Mr. Berger,
              Thank you for your offer - if things don't pan out with the Bugle Buglemann had for sale I may call on you. I would like to do some research on the Clairon first before I think about buying. Thanks again for the offer though.

S!
              Last edited by ; 07-09-2004, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Fraize
                Buglemann - are you out there?

Did you get my e-mail? Your MSN spamblocker might have caught it. Please look and let me hear from you yea or nea.

Mr. Berger,
                Thank you for your offer - if things don't pan out with the Bugle Buglemann had for sale I may call on you. I would like to do some research on the Clairon first before I think about buying. Thanks again for the offer though.

S!
                I don't know what is wrong with my e-mail but if you have responded to the e-mail I sent yesterday, I have not recieved it. Please send an e-mail to camjam@kinex.net you should be able to get through on that e-mail address.
                sorry for the inconvenience,
                Joseph

Comment

Buglermann,

E-Mail sent to address posted above - Title: "Civil War Bugleing"

Lets hope this one makes it through the pickett lines.

S!
                  Last edited by ; 07-11-2004, 01:16 AM.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, I was looking at bugles on the internet, and one website listed a Palatino bugle along with the Amati bugle (both were Bb, also). They were similar in measurement and look, but would the Palatino ones be correct for CW, as the Amati ones?

Thanks.
                    [FONT=Trebuchet MS]Joanna Norris Forbes[/FONT]

Comment

If you are still looking for a bugle, Jean Baptiste makes one that in my opinion looks more like a Clarion than the Amati. It has a spit valve that needs to be removed to be authentic, but besides that is makes a great sound.
                      Donald Lopuzzo
                      Bugler/ Acting Drum Major
                      7th Regiment Infantry N.J. Vols.

Comment

If you are still looking for a bugler, I would suggest one made by Jean Baptiste. It is the one I use, it looks a lot more like a Clairon than the Amati and makes a great sound. The only problem is that is has a spitvalve that would have to be removed.
                        Donald Lopuzzo
                        Bugler/ Acting Drum Major
                        7th Regiment Infantry N.J. Vols.

Comment

Working...
                        X