Authentic Fife and Whistle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Authentic Fife and Whistle

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First, is there an honest source for original CW fifes for sale? Also wondering what the most authentic repro. fife on the market is. What was the most commonly used key of the period. Also an authentic tin whistle for period folk music in camp. I heard shaw was one, Irish made I think. What key for the tin whistle? Eb? Thanks very much. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Jonny

PS: Moderator, sorry posted this thread in the Authentic Impression fourm as well. Opps.

Jonny,

Forum rules require you to sign your FULL name to your posts. You promised to read/acknowledge/abide our rules when you applied to our forum.

http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1034

Please consider this your First Warning.

Scott McKay, moderator
    Authentic Campaigner Forums

Re: Authentic Fife and Whistle

Originally posted by 1stMinn
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First, is there an honest source for original CW fifes for sale? Also wondering what the most authentic repro. fife on the market is. What was the most commonly used key of the period. Also an authentic tin whistle for period folk music in camp. I heard shaw was one, Irish made I think. What key for the tin whistle? Eb? Thanks very much. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Jonny

PS: Moderator, sorry posted this thread in the Authentic Impression fourm as well. Opps.

As far as originals go prices vary, quality varies and there's a fair amount of sellers trying to ,intentionally or not, sell or pass post war fifes as the real deal.You got know your stuff about fifes to make sure you get the reall mccoy

As far as repros, there is a gentleman in Conn who makes copies of both a Firth and Pond B Flat and Firth and Pond C fife.. These are copied from certified originals..he does good work and he's the only person I know of making exact replica's of this design. For awhile both keys were being used, C and BFlat, however Bflat seemed to have won out and is the fife key of choice to this very day. The makers name is Ron Peeler.
    Whistles? Clarke Tinwhistle has been making whistles since 1843 what key?
    D perhaps, a common key good to use with other instruments like fiddles etc

feel free to ask more especially about the fifes I highly recommend the repro its shame that someone will go to great lengths to put together a good musician impression with all the right gear and then top it off with a fife whose style and design was essentially developed in the 1880's and refined through out the 20th century..arrgh
    send a note off line if you need more info

all the best
    Joe Korber
    Principal Musician
    119th NY
    Joe Korber

oh so many things,
    way to much to list
    have a good one
    :wink_smil

Comment

Greetings 1st Minn,
      First off before the moderators give you a holler you need to remember to post your full name on the posts. Just giving you the heads up.
      Secondly, I really cannot help you with the fifes as I am not a field musician, but I am a camp musician and could give some help on the Tin Whistle/Penny Whistle. The most common key on the Whistle is "D", this seems to be the general key and make. The "D" whistle will allow any basic player to play in the key of "G" and "D". A good whistle player can achieve (through halving holes etc.) other notes and accidentals and other keys. There are of course whistles made in every key; "Eb" etc. Personally, I would purchase these for performing "modern" sessions or gigs of Trad. music. It gives the whistle player an easier job and versatility in sound. As for Civil War era whistling I would stick to the "D" whistle. You don't need to be lugging 10 different whistles with you in the field. It will also test yur musicality. You will also find that most people you will perform with will be playing tunes in "G" "D" "Em" etc., but do not hold yourself to those keys.
      As for whistles. I use a Clarke whistle. It's a good starter. Unfortuntely I have the one with the gold lettering on it ( ehhh), but it sounds pretty good. I believe Clarke makes a plain silver/tin colored one, and a simple black one. I have a brass whistle here at home too (maker unknown at present time),but it is a "D" tuning slightly sharp so it screws with things

it's a good place to start looking. Also check the search forum here, this tpic mahave been discused before. You'll never know what you'll find.

I hope this was helpfull and continue playing those trad tunes. Keep the music going. :)

Cheers,
      Your Obedient,

Matthew B. Bursig
      52nd New York Regt. "German Rangers",
      & The Daybreak B'hoys Mess

Researching the Life and Times of the 20th NYSV Regt. The "United Turner Rifles"

"Bahn Frei!!"

Comment

The firm to whom Joe Korber is likely referring is "Peeler Fifes":

Peeler Fifes reportedly makes excellent repros of 1860's Firth, Pond, & Co. fifes and its prices are competitive. I plan to purchase one myself in the near future (my Cooperman has about shot its wad).

Yours, &c.,

Mark Jaeger
        Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Gentlemen,

Thanks so much for all the information, I appreciate it. Knowledge is never-ending. Unlike life. Thanks again.

Jonathan Gillis
          1st Minn. Co. D

Comment

Working...
          X