Learing Before 1862

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learing Before 1862

I understand that the drummers and fifers of the Civil War used the B&E Drummers and Fifers Guide after it was released around 1862 but what did they learn from before then? I really didn't do enough research but that is why I'm here. Also did they have training camps for musicians when the war started? Thank you for any of your help.

-Garett Vaisman
    drummer, strike up, and let us march away- Shakespeare, [I]Henry VI[/I]

88th PA Vols.

Re: Learing Before 1862

Garett,
    Theres an informative book by Kenneth E. Olson titled "Music and Musket, Bands and Bandsmen of the American Civil War." First published in 1981. You and some others may find it to be a good read from the musical perspective of the War. It covers Brass and F&D Field Music, training and more. As far as Pre B&E, Yes! believe it or not there are a few other manuals published and used by the US Army. Go to beafifer.com and see some of the reprinted earlier manuals he has. My Corp is going through Ashworth's for 1812 now. Those traditions and many tunes such as Charming Molly carried to the Civil War Manuals.
    Enjoy,
    Tim Ertel
    SGLHA

Comment

Tim,
      Wow thanks for all your help. It is much appreciated.
      -Garett Vaisman

88th PA Vols.

Comment

There were various self-instruction manuals for the fife published before the war. Included among these were "Howe's School for the Fife." I own an original copy, dated 1843, and it includes variations of standard fife calls encountered in "Scott's," "Hardee's," and "Casey's" tactical manuals.

Here is a short (and far from complete) bibliography:

Howe's 1,000 jigs and reels :
        clog dances, contra dances, fancy dances, hornpipes, strathspeys, breakdowns, Irish dances, Scotch dances, &c., for the violin, flute, clarinet, fife, flageolet, or any treble instrument.
        Elias Howe

1860-1866?
        English Musical Score : Printed music : 104 p. : music ; 22 x 29 cm.
        Boston : Elias Howe,

Howe's school for the fife :
        containing new and complete instructions for the fife, with a large collection of favorite marches, quick-steps, waltzes, hornpipes, contra dances, songs, and six setts of cotillions, arranged with figures, containing over 150 pieces of music /
        Elias Howe

1851 (there were also at least two other editions published in 1843 and 1850)
        Musical Score : Printed music : Multiple forms 56 p. of music ; 16 x 25 cm.
        Boston : E. Howe,

A new and complete preceptor for the fife:
        together with a collection of airs, marches, dances, &c. &c. ...

English Book 24 p. 22 x 28 cm.
        Albany, [N.Y.] Oliver Steele

There were also antebellum instructional manuals for drummers:

Rules and beats for the drum.
        B H Beach

English Book 1 sheet ([1] p.) : ill. ; 27 x 20 cm.
        New Haven, Conn. : Patten's Job Press,

Col. H.C. Hart's New and improved instructor for the drum.
        H C Hart, Colonel.

1860s Abridged ed.
        English Book 19 p. 24mo.
        New York, Hall

I'm pretty sure "Howe" also published a self-instruction manual for drummers--he definitely brought out manuals for a variety of musical instruments. Many of the above works have already been microfilmed and you may be able to obtain them through interlibrary loan.

In my opinion, it wouldn't have been unusual to note significant differences in the sound and quality of field music between individual regiments. They may have even used different versions of the same tunes, depending on the music to which they had access. As might be expected, some field music was quite good, some was hideous, and the rest was "good enough."

By the way, be careful when reading Kenneth Olson's book. He does present some good information but some of his conclusions are, how shall we say, "questionable" based on his use of sources.

Regards,

Mark D. Jaeger
        "Plays fife wisely...but not too well."
        Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Mark,
          Thanks for help. This is really useful stuff! Thanks again.
          -Garett Vaisman

88th PA Vols.

Comment

Originally posted by SnareGnome
            Mark,
            Thanks for help. This is really useful stuff! Thanks again.
            -Garett Vaisman
            Very important to keep in mind too, Garett,before the war, the US had a pretty extensive Militia system and alot of these local militia's employed field musicians. These militia experienced field musicians were the experienced musicans on both sides come 1861 (not everyone was a beginner in 1861)
            The manuals they used or the repitiore played often depended on the part of the country they came from. Of course there were tunes common to all, just look in the back of a Gilhams or a Casey's, but I have seen at least three versions of the a simple tune like the three camps.
            If you read "drum taps in dixie" By D. S Miller, Miller, a drummer in the 2nd NY heavies talks of a sort battle of the bands if you will between his field music and a field music from a New England Regiment and he describes a difference in their respective styles ( a difference that some would argue still exists today in civilian fife and drum corpsbetween the mid atlantic and new england regions).
            in Customs of Service for Non-Coms and enlisted personnel the author states something to the effect that the music was often governed more so by tradition than by regulation. (gotta love that sentiment)
            this is obvious in the plethora of "official" manuals and tutors that popped around 1861 on forward .. all having the same basic information but with a great variety of repitiore differences and alternatives

Me I like Col Hart's but I am starting to look at Ashworth's if for no other reason to see the roots of what came later.
            Elias Howe(not the sewing machine guy) published a bunch of books ( he was like the mel bay of the 19th century)
            I have copies of two of them one from the early 1850's and on from 1861
            the 1850's book has a little militia type music and instruction and then alot songs for fife that could be used at dances and such (just the sort of thing a part time militia musician would need ) the 1861 claims to be the regulation standard for army and navy fife and drum and is much more focused on camp duties and calls etc., more down to the business at hand and definitely something a New England field music might have used for a guide
            there was life before and after the B&E
            Pick a manual any manual and just go with it
            the company of fifers museum website has a list of the period manuals it has copies of and they say if you ask nice they'll make copies for ya for the cost of postage (but it takes a little time since its all volunteer staff)

take a look and enjoy

cheers
            Joe Korber
            119th NY
            Joe Korber

oh so many things,
            way to much to list
            have a good one
            :wink_smil

Comment

Joe,
              I now see what you mean. I didn't even think of militias. Thanks for the help!
              -Garett Vaisman

88th PA Vols.

Comment

Working...
              X