Reproduction Civil War period guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reproduction Civil War period guitars

After reading some of the letters in this forum, it seems to me that guitar playing members seem to be having trouble finding reproduction guitars that are correct for Civil War period use. I am a part-time guitar builder, averaging five guitars per year, and now working on number 20. Last year I built a reproduction Martin 1854 style guitar and a "coffin" case for a lady who sings and writes Civil War era music. It is a high quality instrument made with Indian rosewood back and sides, spruce top, high quality Waverly tuners, ebony pyramid bridge, bone saddle and nut, and fancy wood inlay. The only plastic on the instrument is the buttons on the Waverly tuners, and these are high quality ivoroid which is an excellent reproduction of elephant ivory.

If anyone reading this would like to discuss the possibility of having this type of guitar built, I would be very happy to speak with you, or meet with you (I live near Valley Forge, PA). The price of a finished guitar with coffin case would be under $2000, and on a first come -first served basis, it would take an average of three to four months to build. I can be reached by email at johncvill@yahoo.com and we can discuss it privately so that none of the rules of this website will be violated.
    P.S. - since I am not an approved vendor and this is a one-time posting, I cleared this message with Paul Calloway prior to posting. Please do not post replies, just contact me privately at the above email address if you are interested in further discussion. Thank you).

Robert Johnston
Working...
X