Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mandolin ID

Pards,
    Bought myself an old pear backed mandolin, but I need help IDing it. someone told me it might be a 1920s period mandolin, but it looks plenty period to bring to events. The only label I can find on the inside says "America Conservator"

Any info would be appreciated.

sidedrummer@lycos.com
    Attached Files
    Last edited by rebyank; 08-17-2004, 09:10 AM.

Re: Mandolin ID

Originally posted by rebyank
    Pards,
    Bought myself an old pear backed mandolin, but I need help IDing it. someone told me it might be a 1920s period mandolin, but it looks plenty period to bring to events. The only label I can find on the inside says "America Conservator"

Any info would be appreciated.

sidedrummer@lycos.com
    Might be a Lyon & Healy. Check out that manufacturer. If so, might be worth something! They had a American Conservatory model and it was a Mandolinetto. Bigger than the standard mandolin size. Hope that's a start.
    Regards,
    Rob McFarland
    2MD Fifes and Drums

Comment

I did a search on the lyon & Healy lead, but came up with nill. the closest thing I can find is a Martin 1909 Mandola, It looks strikingly similar to mine, and the materials are the same.
      here's the link to it.

Comment

It is 1920's, I have two in my shop for repair. It is an import and was sold under several names. Different music houses imported them into New York and there they were labled for sale. Lyon and Healy, Martin both sold instruments like this as did Bay State, Fairbanks and many others.

It is not, however, corrent for ACW use. These were as rare as hen's teeth until after 1880. I would refrain for using it unless you are in the Garabaldi Guard.
        [FONT="Book Antiqua"]George Wunderlich
        Executive Director
        National Museum of Civil War Medicine and
        The Letterman Institute [/FONT]

Comment

Working...
        X