Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to start playing the fife

Greetings,

I rescently decided to begin learning to play the fife. Only one problem: the absence of a fife and "manual".
    Henceforth I'd like to ask for your help and guidance in finding an authentic looking "beginners" fife. I'm practically a novice and need to learn everything from scratch.

Would a Cooperman Persimmon Fife in Bb, be a good start (found it at www.fifeanddrum.com)

Also i need to mention I live abroad (Europe).

Thank you..
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]Pvt. Christian Steincke
    16th Tenn Vol[/FONT]
    [FONT=Century Gothic]"War does not determine who is right - only who is left."[/FONT]

Re: Want to start playing the fife

Pvt. Steincke,

I would heartily recommend that you obtain a black plastic Cooperman fife, which is available online for five or six dollars. The plastic Coopermans are inexpensive, easy to play, and sound surprisingly good. This fife, I believe, also is one of the best and least expensive ways for you to determine if the fife is for you. If you like playing the instrument and develop a level of competence on the plastic fife, most likely you will want to move up relatively quickly to a quality reproduction fife (see other debates on this board). Quite frankly I see no need for you to bother with a maple or persimmon Cooperman. They are no easier to play than the plastic -- and in some cases are noticeably more difficult to play -- are more expensive, and will give you no better feedback on whether or not you would like to continue with the instrument. I have obtained the maple and persimmon Cooperman in my travels, and I never play them anymore. After you were to obtain a quality reproduction fife, I doubt if you would, either. The black plastic, on the other hand, is easy to carry around with you, is virtually indestructible, and can be available for you to help entice other fifers into the hobby.

John Keller, fifer
    6th NHVI

Originally posted by reb1912
    Greetings,

I rescently decided to begin learning to play the fife. Only one problem: the absence of a fife and "manual".
    Henceforth I'd like to ask for your help and guidance in finding an authentic looking "beginners" fife. I'm practically a novice and need to learn everything from scratch.

Would a Cooperman Persimmon Fife in Bb, be a good start (found it at www.fifeanddrum.com)

Also i need to mention I live abroad (Europe).

Thank you..

Comment

Mr. Keller,

Thank you for your sound advice. I will try to obtain such a fife as you mentioned. I'll practice at home, and when i fell comfortable playing the instrument, I'll buy a more period looking fife, as I'd rather not bring anything plastic with me on campaigns ;o).

Do you happen to know anywhere on the net, where I can by me such a fife besides www.fifeanddrum.com?

Thank you once again.
      [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]Pvt. Christian Steincke
      16th Tenn Vol[/FONT]
      [FONT=Century Gothic]"War does not determine who is right - only who is left."[/FONT]

Comment

You'll never find a better deal than the Cooperman Plastic Fife for $6.00 on fifeanddrum.com so why look anywhere else? That and The Fifer's Delight book by Ralph Sweet will get you started. Play the $6.00 fife until you get good. Don't waste your money on maple or persimmon fifes. Then, when you get to be proficient, buy a Model F with brass ferrules or Peeler's Firth & Pond reproduction. They are each around $100.00.

Jack Doyle

Comment

beafifer.com also sells a plastic fife, but it's $7.95, so buy the one at fifeanddrum.com. The manual to get is Bruce & Emmett, and I bought mine at fifeanddrum.com for $20. If you haven't played a fife or similar instrument (like a flute) before, try to get some lessons from a flute teacher to help you get an embrouchure.

Andrew Plett
          Oregon Fife and Drum Corps

Comment

This post is not to be considered an endorsement or a criticism but is for informational purposes only.

Plastic beginner's fife
            fifeanddrum.com: $6.00 fife + $7.00 shipping
            beafifer.com: $7.95 fife + $4.00 shipping

Jack Doyle

Comment

Working...
            X