Trying to locate information on a particular song

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to locate information on a particular song

I've hit a brick wall looking for information on a song that was recorded by the Irish Tenors on the Ellis Island CD called Trasna Na Donta (?Sp--sorry I'm not sure of the Gaelic)--which I believe translates to Over the Waters, it's about Irish immigration to America.

I've been trying to determine: 1) if it's old enough to use at an event for possibly a homefront scenario and 2) to locate a copy of the music

If anyone has any information or ideas where I can hunt, I'd really appreciate it
    Kimberly Schwatka
    Independent Mess

Re: Trying to locate information on a particular song

The title is "Trasna Na Dtonnta (Over The Waves)." It reportedly is a sailor's song about returning safely HOME from a voyage.

You can find the complete Gaelic/English words as well as well as the MIDI tune here:

You can also find it here:

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
    Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

This is also a fife and drum tune, under its companion name "Westering Home." The fifes and drums of Colonial Williamsburg played it on their CD "Echoes of Revolution" and it's available in the white book of tunes by John C. Moon.

A lovely tune, perfect for a night piece.
      Jason R. Wickersty
      http://www.newblazingstarpress.com

Received. “How now about the fifth and sixth guns?”
      Sent. “The sixth gun is the bully boy.”
      Received. “Can you give it any directions to make it more bully?”
      Sent. “Last shot was little to the right.”
      Received. “Fearfully hot here. Several men sunstruck. Bullets whiz like fun. Have ceased firing for awhile, the guns are so hot."

- O.R.s, Series 1, Volume 26, Part 1, pg 86.

Comment

Thanks so much for the help guys. I've been beating my head against the wall trying to find information on the song. I had a hunch it had at least one other name and was finally able to find the music online under the name Westering Home.

Thanks again for your help, I really do appreciate it.
        Kimberly Schwatka
        Independent Mess

Comment

The tune, first published in 1725, is probably more recognizable under its other versions: O Lassie Art Thou Sleeping Yet, The Muckin' O' Geordie's Byre, The Highway to Edinburgh, The Lea Rig, The Jordie Jig, My Tocher's the Jewel, Lord Elcho's Favourite, and of course, Trasna Na Dtonnta.

Sir Hugh S. Roberton (1874-1952), conductor of the famous Orpheus Choir of Glasgow made many choral arrangements of Scots songs, and he wrote the song lyrics of 'Westering Home' to go with this tune, but switched the old melody's A strain and B strain around, and made a couple of other changes. By the way, he also wrote 'Mairi's Wedding' and the 'Mingulay Boat Song'.

Joe Whitney

Comment

Working...
          X