Playing the Bones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing the Bones

I recently took up playing the bones. I am having a little problem with the grip as the "movable" bone tends to slide as I am playing. If I grip too hard I can't get a click, when I get clicks the bone tends to slide. Also, is there a different "period" grip? I learned my grip from the various internet rhythm bones sites and then I ran across a illustration of a bones player. It could just be the artists rendition, but it apears as if his grip is somehow different. Does anyone have any hints for an aspiring "Mr. Bones."

I have included attachments of the grip I am using and the illustration I have found.

Thanks!!
    Last edited by Jefferson Guards; 02-26-2007, 08:41 PM.
    Brian Koenig
    SGLHA
    Hedgesville Blues

Re: Playing the Bones

Originally posted by Jefferson Guards
    I recently took up playing the bones. I am having a little problem with the grip as the "movable" bone tends to slide as I am playing. If I grip too hard I can't get a click, when I get clicks the bone tends to slide. Also, is there a different "period" grip? I learned my grip from the various internet rhythm bones sites and then I ran across a illustration of a bones player. It could just be the artists rendition, but it apears as if his grip is somehow different. Does anyone have any hints for an aspiring "Mr. Bones."

I have included attachments of the grip I am using and the illustration I have found.

Thanks!!
    Brian,

Rub some beeswax on the bones. That will help keep them from sliding. I use a beeswax candle. There is a wonderful video by Percy Danforth called "Mr. Bones: How to Play the Bones" You can find it at Lark in the Morning http://larkinthemorning.com//Default.asp?&

They also sell donkey jawbones. Jawbones were sometimes used in minstrel bands. If you get one and need to know how to play it I would be happy to explain it to you. crownby@cox.net
    I use one in the Living History program that I do and it is always a hit.

The line drawing that shows how to play the bones, looks like it was copied from William Sydney Mount's 1856 oil painting "The Bone's Player". It is a very detailed painting and I am sure that you can find it on the net.

Good Luck,
    Chris Ownby

Comment

Working...
    X