Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banjo keys

Banjo players,

I'm curious as to what pitch most of us are tuning our banjos to. As we know, most of the sources available state that by 1860, the 'natural playing key of the banjo had been established as A major'.

For myself, I love the sound of the A tuning on my banjo, but find it very difficult to sing alot of the standard minstrel songs in A or E. For that reason, I use the G tuning.
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Carl Anderton[/FONT]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]"A very good idea of the old style of playing may be formed by referring to the [I]Briggs Banjo Instructor."[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][B]Albert Baur, Sgt., Co. A, 102nd Regiment, NY Volunteer Infantry.[/B][/FONT]

Re: Banjo keys

I currently use the G-tuning as well. I not only play minstrel stroke, but clawhammer/frailing/old time as well. (Not at events, but for entertainment). Keeping it all in one key makes it simpler.

I can drop it to C-tuning for some songs, but I hate trying to get gut/nylon/nylagut strings back in order with friction tuners after a change.
    Ben Thomas
    14th Alabama Volunteer Infantry, Co. G
    "The Hilliby True Blues"

The Possum Skinners Mess

"Non gratis anus opossum"

Comment

"A", really?!

I don't have any sources to cite. But I thought the now regular banjo tunings of G and G-capo2-to-A and double-C and double-C-capo2-to-D were enabled by steel strings and stronger reinforced necks. I thought tunings with gut strings were lower ....like around D.

I think Bob Flesher's book says something about this...I will check when I get home.

Mike

Comment

I think we also have to take into consideration what pitch A (A above C) was. At various times in the history of music the pitch of A changed (currently A=440). It seems that during our period A was pitched higher than it is today. A good study of the history of musical pitch can be found here:

Brian Koenig
        SGLHA
        Hedgesville Blues

Comment

Hi Carl,

I stay with Mr Briggs D/G tuning. Here is something else to think about. Next week, I should be getting those two original flutinas [1840's and 1850's] that I told you about. I believe that they are tuned to something close to C. That means that when the flutina was used in a minstrel band [usually in place of the fiddle], the banjo player would have to tune down even further. "tings ain't as dey used to was"

Chris Ownby

Comment

I've always liked Double C

Regards,

Hampton Cokeley

Private for life

Unattached
            The Citadel, The Military College of South Carolina

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

I usually play in D (open like a modern G tuning). I'm afraid if I tuned to G it would eventually pop the head. Since I sing baritone/bass, D is the best fit. The banjo player in the movie Andersonville had his tuned to Dm, I think. That surely is a nice one.
              Chaplain, Camp #171, SCV, CWPT, MOS&B

"The past is not really dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Comment

Originally posted by michael01612
                "A", really?!

I don't have any sources to cite. But I thought the now regular banjo tunings of G and G-capo2-to-A and double-C and double-C-capo2-to-D were enabled by steel strings and stronger reinforced necks. I thought tunings with gut strings were lower ....like around D.
                The "A" tuning shouldn't be thought of as today's more common tuning, but "Minstrel A/E", ie eAEG#B, 2 frets below todays modern G/C tuning. The "Minstrel D/G" tuning was dGDF#A, 5 frets below todays G/C tuning.

I play mostly in A/E, becuase I like my strings a bit tighter than D/G. I can't sing worth a hill of beans, so tuning to D/G isn't really an issue for me...

Originally posted by modelf85
                I've always liked Double C
                I thought Double C was a more "modern" tuning, not around during the time of the war.

Weidich has some pretty good information on the history of the minstrel banjo and the development of the style and tunings in his new book. I just got my copy on Wednesday and all I can say is...

"Oh lud gals!"
                Matt Adair

Comment

[QUOTE=mladair]The "A" tuning shouldn't be thought of as today's more common tuning, but "Minstrel A/E", ie eAEG#B, 2 frets below todays modern G/C tuning. The "Minstrel D/G" tuning was dGDF#A, 5 frets below todays G/C tuning.

Thanks, Matt.

I used the term 'G' tuning 'cause almost all the tunes in the Briggs 1855 book are in G. In the Rice 1858 book, and the Buckley 1860 method, the tunes are written mostly in A. So, it is possibly more correct to tune our banjoes up to A(E) for Civil War events. But, dang it's hard to sing up there! Especially when you're trying to get that 'darkey' sound.
                  [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Carl Anderton[/FONT]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]"A very good idea of the old style of playing may be formed by referring to the [I]Briggs Banjo Instructor."[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
                  [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][B]Albert Baur, Sgt., Co. A, 102nd Regiment, NY Volunteer Infantry.[/B][/FONT]

Comment

Hey Carl,

When is your CD going to be finished?

Chris Ownby

Comment

Working...
                    X