Sheet music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sheet music

I'm looking for sheet music for "Minstrel Boy," "Frog in the Well," and "Battle Cry of Freedom." If someone could set me in the right direction I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

John Barlow

Re: Sheet music

One great source of original sheet music is the Lester Levy Sheet Music Collection. Also, try the Library Of Congress American Memory, and Duke University online collections.

I think using facimilies of original music is better than Mel Bay collections and the like. The voicings are often different in the original edition. Nineteenth Century composers used a style of harmonizing that was very lilting and evocative.

The same goes for performers in the modern style. Bobby Horton and the 97th Reg. string band kick some serious ass with tempo's and modern harmonies, but they don't have much lilt. IMHO.
    Last edited by Old Cremona; 09-12-2004, 02:13 PM.
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Carl Anderton[/FONT]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]"A very good idea of the old style of playing may be formed by referring to the [I]Briggs Banjo Instructor."[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][B]Albert Baur, Sgt., Co. A, 102nd Regiment, NY Volunteer Infantry.[/B][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
    X