Jaw Bone in Camp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jaw Bone in Camp

I have introduced a cow jawbone, for rhythm, to my personna as an untutored soldier banjo player in the field. As an instrument used by professional Minstrels on stage at the time, and as an item that would be found on forage by a soldier, I feel this a probable scenario.

For living history I have found this to be a conversation starter, and of interest even to (otherwise) glaze-eyed teens. If I didn't have to pack in very far, I would bring it to more campaign style-events. (I justify taking the banjo to the field because with an artillery unit, I would have access to strap the instrument onto a wagon). I'm not sure how infantry justifies having a banjo in camp - unless it's a winter camp portrayal.

So I have a short straight bone in my right hand, the jawbone hanging down from my left hand, because that's the only hint I've gotten on how to play the thing. Apparently if the teeth are loose enough to rattle that makes it ready to play, although there are a number of other percussive sounds to make depending on where the straight bone hits.

Opinions? Marginal for authentic experience? and, most of all, please describe best way to play the jawbone.

- Dan Wykes
    Danny Wykes

Re: Jaw Bone in Camp

Dan,
    Glad to hear that there is another jawbone player out there. We use one in the Allendale Melodians and it can be a good addition to the rhythm section. We have found that the best way to get a good sound out of it is to rake a wooden stick across the teeth. We have tried rattling it and it really doesn't sound like much. I think that by running something over it is also what they are referring to in "Angelina Baker" when they say to "beat on the ole jawbone". Funny story about jawbones, we were trying to find the jawbone of an ass to use, and my wife called Lark of the Morning. They claim to have every instrument known to man. They had no clue what she was talking about and basically wrote her off. Next catalog comes out and there is the Jawbone of a Peruvian Ass advertised. Go figure. Enjoy playing it!

Rick Musselman
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS]Rick Musselman[/FONT]
    Director of Education, Carriage Hill Farm, Dayton, Ohio
    President, Midwest Open-Air Museums Coordinating Council (MOMCC)
    Palestine #158, F. & A.M.

Comment

Rick,

Lark in the Morning calls them Donkey Jaw Bone Rattles. I have been buying jawbones from them for the past six years. Try holding dat ole jawbone by de chin and hitting it wit de side ob de hand. Dats de way to beat on de ole jawbone. Don't hit it to hard or you will be buying a new jawbone every few month.

When you rake across the teeth, a stick works good. So does a piece of bone like a turkey drumstick. I really like to use a piece of bamboo.

Kind regards,
      Chris Ownby

Comment

Lark in the Morning Jawbone was dozens of dollars plus ship, an eBay cow jawbone just $6 plus ship. Not finding much period first source evidence that that Minstrels used Donkey jaws in particular, I opted for the cow jaw - about 14" long. (I can't imagine why the seller thought anybody would want an old cow jaw - in her wildest dreams not as it ended up!).

Thanks for the playing tips. I was attempting to play the two knobby ends of the straight bone (about "8 long) held at a center swivel point to obtain double time, as well as raking it across the teeth.

btw one kid I let try it came up with an astounding natural sense about how to handle the thing.

- Dan Wykes
        Danny Wykes

Comment

Working...
        X