Unusual Instrument

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual Instrument

I have no idea what this instrument could be. It has a head about the size of a banjo head but the back is a big round gourd and the top is made of leather and it is put together like a drum. It has a neck and frets with strings. All the parts besides the leather and gourd are hand carved wood.

Any idea what this could be? I can email pictures to someone if they would like to try to figure it out. It could be some piece of tourist attraction junk, but I don't know.

Evelyn Rard

Re: Unusual Instrument

The music experts will be along in a bit, and with pictures can probably nail it down to quality, ethnic tradition and maybe the individual maker's style, but it sounds like a typical gourd banjo. Try a google search for gourd banjo to see some examples.

Hank Trent
    hanktrent@voyager.net
    Hank Trent

Comment

Thanks. I looked on some websites and it probably is supposed to be a gourd banjo as you say. However, if it is, someone took some liberties and put some extra parts on it. Also the string is lifted from the fingerboard several inches.

Thanks for your input.
      Evelyn

Comment

Without Pictures, it sounds like it may be a Thornburg made Gourd Banjo.
        Rick Bailey
        Melodian Banjoist from Allendale and Founder of Waffle Schnapps.

Comment

I can't figure out how to add the pictures. I have to go to work now and will try again tonight.
          Evelyn

Comment

As a guord instrument, more appropriate for revolutionary war (southern campaign only) or if you stretch it, the French/Indian War or perhaps War of 1812.

Yes, some slaves likely made and used guord banjos in the CW timeframe, but not so much stage musicians and not likely soldier field musicians. If this is an authentic campaigner site then, we are to discourage the "could of happened" and pursue this thread no farther.

Sort of in the same vein that yes, cigarettes were available (from Europe) in the CW timeframe, but no, the AC doesen't accept it.

- Danny
            Danny Wykes

Comment

Working...
            X