Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some input on a drummer photo

Greetings,

Here is one of my latest acquisitions. I'm vexed a bit by it, so I'd like to invite your input.

The image is, from all appearances, a c.1890 cabinet card copy photo of an earlier tintype. This image was produced by a firm in Portland, Jay County, Indiana (about two hours due east of where I live and not far from the Ohio border). To my knowledge, the drummer is not ID'd, but, assuming he was from the Portland, IN area, then I've got a "spread" of units in which he likely served.

Aside from the drummer's top-of-the-line "rig," I'm trying to figure out his uniform and, especially, his shoulder straps. I do know that one or more Indiana color bearers were presented with officer uniforms to wear, in recognition of their services, but I've never heard of a field musician in any regiment being so recognized.

I've got my own theories about this image, but I'd like your comments as well.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
    Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Re: Need some input on a drummer photo

Mark,

I think I know where your going in your train of thought...some sort of ceremonial subaltern appointment?

In the British Army "a subaltern takes temporary command of proceedings during Trooping the Colour." (Wikipedia)

This was one of the daily roles for field music...though I doubt there is a connection between the British practice and ACW field music....but you never know. Battalion adjutants controled that ceremony in the US/CS Armies.

I'm not aware of musicians being awarded subaltern rank, as there is no such rank prescribed under law for musicians that I can find in the OR's, only drum majors.

Maybe someone else has seen something that can shed some light on it...

Interesting photo.
    Last edited by Smokey Toes; 02-01-2007, 06:53 PM.
    [B][FONT=Georgia]Eric P. Emde[/FONT][/B]
    [URL="http://www.2ndmaryland.org"]www.2ndmaryland.org[/URL]

Comment

Mark,

Sent a PM

YOS,

Mark
      Mark Boynton
      6th NHVI Co E

In memory of Louis Hooper killed May 12, 1864 Spotsylvania

Comment

There's almost nothing 'typical' about this drummer's uniform. The cap is a McDowell, the frock is officer all-the-way (and as was mentioned earlier, there were no positions for commissioned musicians), the drum sling is leather (rather than the usual webbing) and is quite unusual from my studies - I've never seen a belt arrangement like this one....Makes me wonder if it isn't a studio shot made up with available props rather than an image of a 'real' field musician. If it is 'real' - then it's quite unique.

Compare it to the photograph of the Principal Musician of the First Minnesota Volunteers, Henry Fifield.

showing him in an officer's frock, but with fairly normal PM stripes, rather than shoulder straps; a kepi with staff officer trim; trousers with serg't stripes; what appears to be an officer's sash....a fancier than normal uniform for a staff NCO, but nothing as bizarre as the image in discussion.

If you get more information on who, when, etc, I hope you post it here!

Jim Moffet
        Co. A, Minnesota First

Comment

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss this as a non-drummer. You can't really tell from the photo if those are officer's bars or some variation on epaulets. I've seen some pretty bizarre shoulder decorations, all authentic. I can't really tell from the photo if it's a McDowell or forage cap.

Likewise, the belt arrangement doesn't surprise me. Look at all the photos of drummer boys in "Too Young to Die". White cotton webbing slings are in the minority, lots of leather ones, and they're all differenty constructed. Also, judging from photos I've seen, wearing the stick holder on the waist belt was actually quite common, and putting the sling under the waist belt keeps the drum from flapping around, which also can be seen in "Too Young to Die".

At least he's holding the sticks right, unlike in many of the staged photos.

Joe Whitney
          2nd SC String Band
          Md Line Field Music

Comment

Friends

Take a look at the band on page 245 of Image of War Vol 2. The whole band appears to be wearing shoulder straps
            Alan W. Lloyd

Member of:
            1st Colorado Vol Inf.

Comment

Working...
            X