question on reveille

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question on reveille

For this upcoming reenacting season, my buddy and I are wanting to do a more authentic impression of musicians during the war. Through my 8 years of reenacting, I have heard many variations of what songs were in the reveille. What were the songs that were considered part of reveille?

Doug Ranson
    14th NJ company H
    Doug Ranson

Button Hat Boys
    Jaunty Bunch
    Cumberland River Legion
    3rd Batt USV

Re: question on reveille

There are many variations on the reveille.

A good start would be:

The Three Camps
    Slow Scotch
    Austrian
    Hessian
    Dutch
    Quick Scotch

I've attached an example. It is not from Bruce and Emmett, although it is in the same notation. It is a simpler version, which is easier to learn. You may have the zoom in to get a clear picture. If you find this helpful, I can provide more, complete with sticking and fife parts. The manuals are sometimes hard to read and contain mistakes. Even the reveille contained in the Drummers' and Fifers' Guide has some errors, and is definitely not for beginners.
    Will Chappell

Comment

Thanks a lot
      I have plenty of period music books with these songs in it.

- I also heard that in soke instances musicians would just play their favorite songs and not the full reveille. Do you know if this is true or not?

Thanks,

Doug Ranson
      14 th NJ company H
      Doug Ranson

Button Hat Boys
      Jaunty Bunch
      Cumberland River Legion
      3rd Batt USV

Comment

The tunes mentioned by Will are what we play in the Liberty Hall Fife and Drum and that is what we play at events for the last 3 years.

Matt
        Matthew Thompson

Comment

Some groups sometimes only go through a few of the tunes like 3 camps and just stop. I don't know if soldiers played the whole reville all the time, but I think they would of.

Matt
          Matthew Thompson

Comment

Look in the back of Hardee's or Casey's or Gilham's (which ever you drill with)
            and use the tunes listed there...

jk
            Joe Korber

oh so many things,
            way to much to list
            have a good one
            :wink_smil

Comment

Thanks for all your help. I will use put all your help to good use.

Thanks again,

Doug Ranson
              14th NJ company H
              Doug Ranson

Button Hat Boys
              Jaunty Bunch
              Cumberland River Legion
              3rd Batt USV

Comment

Mr Chappell

I would really appreciate it if you could post the music for the rest of the Camp duty if you have it. The Hessian is a very nice version and easy to read

Thanks
                Alan W. Lloyd

Member of:
                1st Colorado Vol Inf.

Comment

Okay, it's a little complicated if you want the sources.

Fife --

Three Camps -- AVF, Howe, Keach-Burditt-Cassidy
                  Slow Scotch -- all CW versions are basically the same as Ashworth 1812
                  Austrian -- all CW versions are basically the same as Ashworth 1812
                  Hessian -- all CW versions are basically the same as Ashworth 1812
                  Dutch -- two versions representing Howe, Keach-Burditt-Cassidy, AVF, Nevins, Strube. One version is also the same as Ashworth
                  Quick Scotch -- one of two CW versions, the other version has an extra note or two
                  Dawning of the Day -- the fancier version from the CW. Hart, Nevins, Strube have this one.

Drum -- most have 7's instead of the 9's that are in B&E

Three Camps -- the 9 stroke roll version. The CW versions are all a little different, but some have 9's. Hart's has 5's, 7's, 8's, 9's, and 10's, believe it or not.

Slow Scotch -- Ashworth, B&E, and Strube. Other CW versions are dumbed-down versions of Ashworth.

Austrian -- All CW versions are about the same as Ashworth

Hessian -- All CW versions are about the same as Ashworth. This one is a very similar version from Strube.

Dutch -- This one came from Strube -- not very different from B&E. The other CW versions are pretty much junk in my opinion.

Quick Scotch -- This one comes from Ashworth and B&E, which are different by a note or two, but very close, as is Strube. Other CW versions are not very interesting.

Dawning of the Day -- Strube and B&E are very close. Other CW versions are pretty much junk, but some drummers may have played it that way.

Some of this stuff I can't attach now. I'll have to dig them up. Notice that the fife part for the 3 camps is different from B&E by a couple notes.

The beat for the Quick Scotch is the same as the Slow Scotch, only faster.

All of the different versions of the reveille will be in the fife and drum book I'm almost finished putting together. Send me a PM if anyone's interested -- over a hundred tunes with authentic beats are included.
                  Last edited by 33rdaladrummer; 03-31-2009, 02:05 PM.
                  Will Chappell

Comment

I think this fills in what was missing. I never noticed before that the bpm were given in Nevins'. That's definitely useful.
                    Will Chappell

Comment

Some of you might find the following items intriguing and amusing. I have not yet been able to identify "W. F. Robinson," but, from all appearances, he served as a fifer in a Regular Army regiment between roughly 1845-1855. Ditto for "Capt. LOVELL" although I strongly suspect, being the commander of a NYSM company, he likely mustered in with one of the NY regiments raised when the war began.

If anyone knows more about these guys, by all means let me know!

New York Times, 20 July 1860, p. 1

(Description of a public drill exhibition, by Colonel Elmer Ellsworth’s United States Zouave Cadets, of Chicago, at the New York Academy of Music on the evening of 19 July 1860.)

[After the Colonel Ellsworth’s United States Zouave Cadets finished their drill routine…]

THE DRUMMER AND FIFER

then favored us with a squeak and a noise, which a military gentleman kindly informed us was the way in which the “United States Army performed the Reveille,” and which information was gratefully received, as without it no mortal man could have told what under the sun the two little men were trying to do.
                      After this the

TAP DRILL

was gone through with. This consists simply of the exercises of the Manual, the same being performed at the tap of the drum, instead of by word of command—hence the name.***

New York Times, 24 July 1860, p. 2.

Correction—Note from an Injured Fifer.

BOSTON, Saturday, July 21, 1860.

To the Editor of the New-York Times:

In your report of the United States Zouaves drill at the Academy of Music, I think you noticed the drum and fife in a curious light. The drummer and myself played on that occasion by the request of many of your citizens and military, who were present, and as it was a military exhibition, was thought proper for the entertainment; and as near as I can remember, having served ten years in the United States Army, and three years in the Mexican War, I beg leave to say that it was the genuine reveille. I refer you to Capt. LOVELL, of your City, who belonged to the same regiment as myself, and hundreds of others who were present on that evening. Trusting that you will do me justice for the wide reputation I have earned as a fifer, I remain, yours respectfully,

W. F. ROBINSON,
                      Now with the Zouaves.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
                      Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Working...
                      X