Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ed kellog?

Friends

Does anyone know for whom the tune Ed Kellogg's March is named?
    Alan W. Lloyd

Member of:
    1st Colorado Vol Inf.

Re: ed kellog?

KELLOGG'S QUICKSTEP. AKA "Ed Kellogg's Quickstep." American, March (2/4 time). USA, southwestern Pa. D Major. Standard. AABB. A fifer's march. Sources for notated versions: The Hoge MS. and George Fisher (Somerset County, Pa., 1962; both of whom had it from fifer Charles F. Cook, Somerset County, Pa.) [Bayard]. American Veteran Fifer, No. 26 (appears as "Ed Kellogg's Quickstep"). Bayard (Dance to the Fiddle), 1981; No. 198A‑B, pg. 155.

I don't know if the above information will help you. It's from http://www.ibiblio.org/fiddlers/index.html
    William Lee Vanderburg
    26th NCT

Robert S. Bowers / 4th NC
    Calvin Spry / 57th NC

Comment

Samuel Bayard heard the tune being played in SW Pennsylvania and put it in his collection, March to the Fife, Dance to the Fiddle. The Hoge manuscript was a fifer's handwritten tunebook. Hoge was one of the fifers that supplied many tunes for Bayard's book. The only other place Bayard could find the tune was in the AVF. This makes it highly unlikely that it would be found anywhere else, even in a different form, since Bayard had studied mostly all of the old music collections. We'll probably never know who Ed Kellogg was, unless someone finds a musician named E. Kellogg listed on a muster roll, but we don't even know if Kellogg was a fifer. It might help to know that Ed Kellogg was donated to the AVF by Theo. B. Jobi, Bugler, Co.M 8th O.V.C. The tune might be named after a member of the 8th Ohio. "Jobe" might be mispelled as "Jobi". I doubt have my AVF handy. I'm looking at the one at www.drumband.org
      Will Chappell

Comment

I've done some more searching, and there was according to what I found a Company D and Company M reference to a Pvt Thomas B. Jobe, Bugler in the 8th Ohio Cavalry. There was a Pvt. Edwin C. Kellog in the 13th Ohio, Companies G and H. There were no listings for a Kellog in the 8th infantry or cavalry or even the 44th Ohio, which the 8th OVC was organized from.
        William Lee Vanderburg
        26th NCT

Robert S. Bowers / 4th NC
        Calvin Spry / 57th NC

Comment

Originally posted by Army30th View Post
          I've done some more searching, and there was according to what I found a Company D and Company M reference to a Pvt Thomas B. Jobe, Bugler in the 8th Ohio Cavalry. There was a Pvt. Edwin C. Kellog in the 13th Ohio, Companies G and H. There were no listings for a Kellog in the 8th infantry or cavalry or even the 44th Ohio, which the 8th OVC was organized from.
          There are two Jobes in the AVF. The elder Jobe, Thomas, was once president of the Nat'l Association of Civil War Musicians and father of Theo. If the 13th and the 8th saw action together, it is possible that Jobe and Kellogg could have known each other during the war. They could have also met before or after the war.
          Will Chappell

Comment

The following information was passed on to me by Bill Bynum, principal musician, Carolina Legion Field Music, who by the way, just put out a new cd packed with great tunes. Many thanks to Bill!

"As for Ed Kellogg's Q.S. ...There was an Edward Kellogg (1790-1858) who was a businessman and economist. He wrote books about the monetary system that stayed in print after his death and later inspired the Greenback and Populist parties. It's possible that the AVF tune was named for him. But the tune itself is a version of "Pinkell's Strathspey," which is found in the second edition of A New and Complete Preceptor for the Fife (Utica: William Williams, 1826) and in the first edition of Howe's Musician's Omnibus (1863). The AVF version doesn't have the distinctive "Scotch snap" rhythm of the strathspey dance, but the melody is recognizably similar."

"I'm wondering if some fifer half-forgot the name "Pinkell's" and substituted "Kellogg's"-- the two names share a syllable. Bayard has examples of similar changes like "Grand March o' Normal" instead of "Grand March in Norma." "

Also for those that were interested in the previous AVF discussion, well, some of us think that the AVF is a good record of what Union musicians were playing, since Union vets donated the tunes, but many of them are common tunes played both north and south, and show up in many other sources such as Howe's books, who was a big publisher of music of his time, not only during the war.

Bill also passed more proof that the tunes in the AVF, in this example, Off to Charleston, were played by Confederates as well:

"It's actually Charlestown in AVF, but Charleston in an 1861 newspaper reference and in a postwar reference--the United Confederate Veterans magazine quoted the song in an article about their convention in Charleston."

An aparent sign that the AVF has Confederate tunes is the fact that Dixie and Bonnie Blue are in there. I know that Union musicians played Dixie, but Bonnie Blue surprises me a little.

In Echoes of the Blue and the Gray you can hear former UNION veteran fifers and drummers playing Turkey in the Straw and a former CONFEDERATE playing the same tune on the fiddle. Fiddlers and fifers have always shared a common reprotoire. What evidence do we have that the reprotoire of northen and southern musicians was much different, anyway?
            Will Chappell

Comment

Here we go again - starting w/ Ed Kellog & now talkinga about Bonnie Blue Flag....when will we get to bass drums?

Being Federals, we normally refer to BBF as "Irish Jaunting Car." Do we know how popular that tune was among fifers north of the M-D line?

Jim Moffet
              Co. A, Minnesota First

Comment

And on a completely unrelated note, if you...

1. Type in www.google.com

2. Then click: more>Books

3. Then type in "Arkansas Traveller's Songster"

A complete scanned copy of the 1864 "Arkansas Traveller's Songster" will appear as the first hit. This includes fiddle notation for the "AT" as well as lyrics for various novelty and comedic tunes.

Check it out,

Mark Jaeger
                Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

"Here we go again - starting w/ Ed Kellog & now talkinga about Bonnie Blue Flag....when will we get to bass drums?

As guess that happens when you have members on the forum who get paid to surf the internet all day.....wait, I have to get back to work.

"Being Federals, we normally refer to BBF as "Irish Jaunting Car." Do we know how popular that tune was among fifers north of the M-D line?"

Isn't there an account where a yankee was talking about how an asthmatic Confederate fifer and rheumatic drummer played Bonnie Blue for every single duty call? At least one yankee didn't care for that tune.
                  Will Chappell

Comment

Friends

Thanks for all the information
                    Alan W. Lloyd

Member of:
                    1st Colorado Vol Inf.

Comment

Working...
                    X