Tenor drums in CW bands?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenor drums in CW bands?

My unit has recently come across what I believe is nowadays referred to as a "tenor" drum (no snare) which seems to be the right size, right construction (wood body, 100% skin heads), etc., for "conversion" to Civil War military use. BUT...we're not entirely certain whether such drums WERE known to be used in the Civil War military. Can anyone provide some guidance on this?

Dan Munson
    Dan Munson
    Co. F, 1st Calif. V.I.
    5th Wisc./10th Va.

Re: Tenor drums in CW bands?

I don't see why not. I would be anxious to see some sort of documentation on it. If there is such a thing. May have better luck finding the existance of Bigfoot. But I don't see why they wouldn't have sneaked they're way into large band formations. They were used in Rev war by the English. Can't see why they wouldn't have been used during the Civil War.
    Correct me if I'm wrong. But doesn't funeral marches call for tenors instead of snares?

Like I said anxious to see some sort of documentation. . .
    Regards,
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][I]J.L. Hurst[/I][/FONT]

[B][FONT="Arial Black"]Independant Rifles[/FONT][/B]

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Trebuchet MS"][I]Like vandals of old through our land they did ride
    With Hunger and Death always close by their side.
    Came Terror, his herald - but the wailing comes first . . .
    We know he is coming, That demon called Hurst[/I][/FONT].[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Trebuchet MS"][I] Who ate my Nutter Butter!?!? Said the angry yet still hungry fellow from Gulf Port[/I][/FONT].[/SIZE]

Comment

Funeral marches call for "muffled drums," by laying a strip of material across the snares, not to switch drums entirely.

Government issue drums were snare drums. A report of items purchased by the government and stored at the various depots during the fiscal year ending June 30, 1865 reported:

2,700 Drums, complete
      710 Batter heads
      2,281 Snare heads
      4,000 Drum snares, sets

So, the government was purchasing ALOT of snares and snare heads. Seems that there must have been trouble with snare heads instead of batter heads breaking!

Using a tenor drum wouldn't make much sense anyway. The snap of the snare allows the drum to be heard over a greater distance than the unsnared tenor. That dull pounding would easily be lost in the sound of gunfire.

Now, I have seen references to "tenor" drums, but it seemed like the author was making a distinction as to the size of the drum, as opposed to bass drums.
      Last edited by ThehosGendar; 03-27-2007, 11:23 AM.
      Jason R. Wickersty
      http://www.newblazingstarpress.com

Received. “How now about the fifth and sixth guns?”
      Sent. “The sixth gun is the bully boy.”
      Received. “Can you give it any directions to make it more bully?”
      Sent. “Last shot was little to the right.”
      Received. “Fearfully hot here. Several men sunstruck. Bullets whiz like fun. Have ceased firing for awhile, the guns are so hot."

- O.R.s, Series 1, Volume 26, Part 1, pg 86.

Comment

Odd about the snare heads.

Either some drummers weren't too concered with how they set they're snares down, or drum slings weren't that well constructed.

Good info though.
        Regards,

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Trebuchet MS"][I]Like vandals of old through our land they did ride

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Trebuchet MS"][I] Who ate my Nutter Butter!?!? Said the angry yet still hungry fellow from Gulf Port[/I][/FONT].[/SIZE]

Comment

Snare heads are usually much thinner than the batter heads. A thinner bottom head allows for the snares to be more resonant and produce a finer snare response. I'm sure the slunk used for bottom heads did not last long in the elements. Batter heads are much thicker due to the fact that they are being played on. It would make sense, then, for the bottom head to give out before the top. I also speak from personal experience.

I'm sure many drummers did not take care of the drums as well as they should have. I do believe that there are care and maintenance instructions for field music. These instructions include details on rain, among other elements, and how to keep the drum protected. I apologize, but I do not have a manual handy at the moment to give you more specific information.

Sincerely,

Patrick Jones
          Camp Chase Fifes and Drums

Comment

Thanks, Mr. Wickersty (and all), for your responses about tenor drums. I can understand what you mean about the relative pitch of snares and tenors -- the latter certainly do put out a lower, duller (?) sound than the high-pitched snares. And it would be hard to argue with your data showing the government stores of snare drums (and parts for same) at the close of the war. I'm sure the Army intended to have snare drums as its standard and probably achieved that by the end of the war. (A little voice keeps whispering to me that at the outset of the war musical instruments -- like many other items -- might not have so standardized, but I waive any argument on that point since I don't have any evidence, one way or the other.)

Does Cooperman or any other repro drum maker sell snare parts separately?

Dan Munson
            Dan Munson
            Co. F, 1st Calif. V.I.
            5th Wisc./10th Va.

Comment

Cooperman does. If you call and request a cataloge, make sure you request a parts cataloge as well. I think they'll hit you for $4.00 a book. But if you a percussionist it certienly pays off. You'll need to order it sooner or later.
              Regards,

Comment

Tell it to the Marines.

The Corps regularly requested such items in its wartime contract bid solicitations. Here's a sample notice dated 28 September 1861:

50 Swords for Musicians.
                50 Drums, (tenor,) complete.
                50 Drum Slings.
                200 Batter Drum Heads.
                50 Snare Drum Heads.
                100 Drum Cords.
                100 Sets of Drum Snares.
                100 Boxwood "B" Fifes.

By mid-war, 21 October 1863, the Corps was still requesting similar amounts of items:

50 Swords for Musicians.
                40 Drums, tenor, complete.
                40 Drum Slings.
                150 Batter Drum Heads.
                30 Snare Drum Heads.
                100 Drum Cords.
                50 sets of Drum Snares.
                30 Boxwood "B" Fifes.

Five years later, and with the war over, the Corps was still requesting as much, if not more, materiel. Here's a 20 October 1866 bid solicitation:

50 Swords for Musicians.
                40 Drums (tenor) complete.
                250 Batter drum-heads.
                50 Snare drum-heads.
                200 Drum Cords.
                75 sets drum snares.
                50 Boxwood "B" Fifes.
                75 Pairs drum sticks.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
                Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

I have been studying drums and playing, collecting and studying the fife for 45 years. I have examined many American made rope tension drums from the early 19th century on to the present. Even before the Civil War, side drums used by State militias and bands had snares. References to tenor drums from the early to mid-19th century, as previously stated, refer to size and to distinguish it from the bass drum.

Is there a link to the place where you found these tenor drums that may be suitable for converting to snare?

Jack Doyle

Comment

I definitely have to agree that side, snare, and tenor drums are all different names for the same thing. From the accounts I've read, tenor drum seems to be the most commonly used name for the snare drum.

Someone brought up muffled drums, and I recently found some additional information regarding how to muffle a drum. I picked up a copy of Delevan Miller's A Drum's Story and Other Tales, and in the first chapter he explains that a hankerchief was slipped under the snares to muffle a drum. We also know from Howe's 1862 manual (perhaps also Hart's if I recall correctly) that a black crepe or serge is draped over the batter head to muffle a drum. An illustration can be found here:

I am not sure if the cloth was draped over the top and a rag was tucked under the snares simultaneously, or if these were two different methods of muffling a drum. From personal experience (if anyone has documentation please enlighten us), I think muffled drums sound better when less tension is used and the drum is "tuned down." It definitely sounds better that way with a funeral dirge.

Some may find it ironic that almost all reenactors' drums are already muffled with the non-period method of putting a rag under the batter head. Because of this, most drums sound more like they would have during a funeral than they would have sounded when beating out a duty call on the parade ground or when playing a quickstep on the march.
                    Will Chappell

Comment

Thanks, everyone, for your input. Being new to drumming, it's clear I have a LOT to study just about the insturment itself (in its Civil War variants). The list of Marine Corps requisitions seems to establish that "tenor" and "snare" were not two terms for the same kind of drum. But if, as seems to be suggested, the "tenor" drums of the Civil War era were something of intermediate size between snares and basses, then the drum I have in hand is a "tenor" only because it currently lacks any snare hardware -- in size it is very comparable to the snares currently used by reenactors (in fact, from having hefted both, I can say this "what is it?" drum is within a few ounces of the weight of a Cooperman-made snare). So perhaps, if this drum cannot be adapted to accept correct snare hardware, it is really not usable as a period drum at all. (And thanks, I now have an inquiry in to Cooperman about their price list for parts.)

Dan Munson
                      Dan Munson
                      Co. F, 1st Calif. V.I.
                      5th Wisc./10th Va.

Comment

Snare drums and tenor drums are the same thing. Also, a real Civil War drum would weigh less than a Cooperman because the shells were typically made from 1/8" lumber instead of the 1/4" that Cooperman uses for its solid-shell model.
                        Will Chappell

Comment

Is this drum original? Cooperman use to sell drum "kits" without snares attached or even holes to attach the equipment onto. Is it possible that you may have one of these?
                          [I]Sam Horton[/I]
                          Musician
                          OFJ Staff

Comment

I don't think there is an experienced drummer on this board that will dispute the notion that the terms snare, side and tenor, as used in the mid 19th century, are simply different words for the same thing: i.e. what we would today call a snare drum.

The Marine report was submitted to illustrate that even though they refered to the drums as tenor drums they asked for additional snares and snare heads to go with the drums.

With respect to this drum are there snare gates on the bottom hoop? Is there a snare bed on the bottom bearing edge of the drum? If not, even if you buy snares, a snare strainer and a snare keeper, you'll have a hard time converting the drum, unless you know how to create the gates and beds. Also note the snare head cannot be interchanged with the batter head so you'll have to make sure you have one of each.

Posting a couple of pictures would enable those with experience to be the judge as to the drum's suitability. Also can you give the dimensions of the shell and tell us how many holes are drilled through the hoops?

Jack Doyle

Comment

All that is really needed for the conversion is a snare bed cut into the shell and some catgut. George Carroll told me that 6 snares was the most common quantity used per drum (the reenactor standard is 8). I own a c. 1890 French drum that has only 2. It is not necessary to cut gates into the counterhoop, as many original drums were made without snare strainers, with the snares wedged between the flesh hoop and the counter hoop. Of course, many original drums had strainers, so if money is not an issue, go for it. Howe states in his 1862 manual that the regulation drums had no strainers (I think he calls them fasteners). Although his manual is not a government document, I believe he spoke with authority since he owned a Boston firm that produced drums for the U.S. Army.

What are dimensions of the drum we are talking about? Although there was variation in size, the most common drum shell was about 16 inches in diameter and 12-13 inches tall.

I highly recommend Mr. Carroll as a supplier of skins, catgut, hoops, and other drum supplies. His cost is much lower than Cooperman, and the authenticity level is much better. He also does restorations and conversions. His website is www.ropedrum.com
                              Will Chappell

Comment

Working...
                              X