Greetings,

Thought I'd share one of my latest Ebay acquisitions:

Enjoy,

Mark Jaeger
    Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Re: Ebay - Guitarist Image

Thanks Mark.

Here attached is that image. Perhaps this is later in century as seller claims but essentially no different than a CW period image for our purposes.

Dan Wykes
    Last edited by Danny; 05-25-2008, 11:54 PM.
    Danny Wykes

Comment

For a matching set, a banjo player, also from an eBay listing this past week. These are relevant here because many, if not most volunteer or draftee soldiers, likely clung to a view of themselves as civilians, not as soldiers. (Soldiering was a duty-bound distraction to their course in life). Goes to the psyche of the soldier in the field, and how we portray or immerse ourselves in the role.

Is this a valid observation?

Note that as a tintype, the image is flopped. This is a right-handed player and banjo.

-Dan Wykes
      see more at http://groups.google.com/group/Albert-Baur?hl=en
      Last edited by Danny; 05-25-2008, 11:54 PM.
      Danny Wykes

Comment

Great knitted sweater! Very fine wool, k2,p2 ribbed sleeves, striped k1p1 ribbing all around the neck and body, pockets, Really amazing detail.
        Regards,
        Deborah Hyland
        dance mistress

Comment

Here's the link to the auction mentioned above. The dealer obviously knows what he's got because the bidding has already hit $135 and it still hasn't reached Reserve.

Yours, &c.,

Mark Jaeger
          Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Originally posted by Deborah Hyland View Post
            Great knitted sweater! Very fine wool, k2,p2 ribbed sleeves, striped k1p1 ribbing all around the neck and body, pockets, Really amazing detail.
            Deborah -

In your estimation then, is this guy's sweater possibly correct for CW period? We want to know because if so, the banjo in the photo is more verifiably CW period. An alternate instrument pattern we could follow as a banjo-playing soldier. (For a time none other than a scroll-head Boucher style banjo was even considered for AC, though that attitude has loosened up a bit).

Perhaps you answer with a new thread on the Civilian forum, as this is marginal for the intent of this particular forum. I defer to the moderator.

Danny - Dan Wykes
            Last edited by Danny; 04-20-2007, 09:11 AM.
            Danny Wykes

Comment

This is a speculation on my part, but I have a feeling the photo is post war. Something about the hat and high collar and tight pants makes me lean that way, more than the sweater.

I have a number of images of civil war-period men in sweaters and they are all quite different from one another, although I am struck with each on how careless the maker seems about the front closures gaping. That's the case with this one, but again, my hunch is it's a post-war image.

Investigation into the photo style (tintype) and the other elements of his clothing might help date the photo a bit better.
              Regards,
              Deborah Hyland
              dance mistress

Comment

The banjo is almost a perfect copy of the I have (see earllier post). I am thinking more and more it is post war. As soon as I can get my digital camera back from my son I will post some photos of it.

Joe Walker

Comment

Working...
                X