Snare D-ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snare D-ring

In efforts it improve my impression, I have searched for the proper way to hang the drum. I have read that there is no evidence that Drings were used. Is this true? Can someone post a picture of the proper way and equipment?

Thanks,
    Scott Davis
    [I][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="2"][FONT="Garamond"]Scott Davis
    Lost Drummer and Fifer[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/I]

Re: Snare D-ring

Attach your sling to the drum rope or tie a short rope between two of the ropes and attach the sling there.
    Paul Herring

Liberty Hall Fifes and Drums
    Stonewall Brigade

Comment

I use the method that Paul mentioned by slipping a piece of rope under where the tensioning rope feeds through two adjacent holes in the counterhoop. If you zoom in on some period photos you will see this method being used by some drummers. B&E say that "the belt should pass round the neck, and come down over the left breast, with the fastening attached to the cord at the upper hoop." If you choose to do this, do not clip around the doubled-over rope, as this will cause the drum to hang at too extreme an angle. Just clip around the single strand of rope. See attachment for another method.
      Will Chappell

Comment

Thanks for the info. I will rig something up. Wonder if any actually drilled a hole in the hoop to attach a cord?
        [I][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="2"][FONT="Garamond"]Scott Davis
        Lost Drummer and Fifer[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/I]

Comment

Has anybody found any evidence that a D-ring was used? Some photos are to hard to tell how it is being hanged.
          Andrew Turner
          Co.D 27th NCT
          Liberty Rifles

"Well, by God, I’ll take my men in and if they outflank me I’ll face my men about and cut my way out. Forward, men!” Gen. John R. Cooke at Bristoe Station,VA

Comment

I have never seen a d-ring on an original Civil War drum. Today you can buy such an item for less than a dollar, but 150 years ago it was not worth the additional expense for a drum manufacturer when a drummer could just use rope. Taking into account the fact that many drums did not even have snare strainers(to cut down on cost), one can see why d-rings were not used. As is the case with anything in our hobby, the best bet is to look at original artifacts rather than "reproductions".
            Will Chappell

Comment

CRRC 2 pg. 192

"3) As suggested by the specs, drums lacked a purpose-built hook to attach the drum sling. To play the drum, the drum sling was hooked around one of the drum cords."
              [FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="3"]John R. Legg[/SIZE][/FONT]

[email]Johnlegg90@gmail.com[/email]

"Alright, Legg, what did you screw up now?" - C. Henderson
              Ft.Blakeley LH - May 25-27
              Maryland, My Maryland. - September 7-9
              6th Wisconsin Antietam LH - September 15-17
              150th Perryville - October 5-7
              Valley Forge - January 18-20, 2013

Comment

Working...
              X