Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drum muffler

Drummers

What is the feeling about mufflers under your drumhead? Any evidence that they were used during the ACW?
    Alan W. Lloyd

Member of:
    1st Colorado Vol Inf.

Re: drum muffler

Short answer: yes.

On a lark, I searched through the NY Times between 1851 and 1871 and got nearly two dozen hits for articles mentioning "muffled drums." Without exception, they all referred to use of muffled drums during either executions or funeral processions.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
    Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

I think the mention of "under the drumhead" referred to the modern practice of putting a stirp of cloth, usually cotton webbing, under the batter head, and not the centuries-old practice of covering the drums with black crepe and/or putting cloth under the snares.

The results differ greatly betwen the two practices. The batter head muffler stops the drum from continuing to vibate, but still allows the snares to rattle, giving it the rat-a-tat sound almost everyone prefers today. Muffling the drums as for a funeral eliminates the rattle of the snares effectively making the drum into a tom tom for a low, mournful sound.

While it's impossible to say for sure that batter heads were not muffled, every drum of the period I've seen or heard of had no muffler under the batter head. This seems to be a 20th century practice. But it is aurally pleasing to most ears today that drums that not continue to hum with the vibration of both heads, so I expect the practice to never vanish, no matter what the evidence says.

Joe Whitney
      2nd SC String Band
      Md Line Field Music

Comment

Originally posted by joewhitney View Post
        While it's impossible to say for sure that batter heads were not muffled, every drum of the period I've seen or heard of had no muffler under the batter head. This seems to be a 20th century practice. But it is aurally pleasing to most ears today that drums that not continue to hum with the vibration of both heads, so I expect the practice to never vanish, no matter what the evidence says.
        George Carroll told me that when he was a drummer in the Royal Canadian Navy in the late 1940's or early 1950's they used unmuffled brass drums. Being metal-shelled, their ring was especially prominent, so they tried to figure out how to cut down on the ring, but the idea of putting a strip of cloth under the batter head never occured to them. Someone came up with the idea in the 1950's and aparently it caught on.

The famous drummer and drum-maker Gus Moeller, who was one of the people responsible for reviving rudimental drumming said "no good drum needs one of these" when talking about strip mufflers or "rags" in drums.

Some of the drummers from Liberty Hall did an experiment at Gettysburg a couple of weeks ago, playing on unmuffled then muffled drums at a distance of about 15 yards or so. We asked a couple of members of the Stonewall Brigade which sound they preferred and the response was "selection A".

If more musicians use authentic drums, then more people will get used to the sound of unmuffled drums. Most people don't like the sound of an authentic drum because it sounds different than what their ears are used to hearing at a reenactment, which is not only a muffled drum, but one with plastic heads.

The full sound of an unmuffled drum with skin heads is not only is the true sound heard in the Civil War (and WWI and WWII for that matter), but also makes more sense in the field, because the sound carries farther. Soldiers appreciate a cadence they can hear on the march more (and perhaps the sound of drummers beating the reveille on an unmuffled drum less!).

There is really no question about whether mufflers were used in the CW. The fact that none of the unrestored original drums have them is evidence enough. Even if a documented example were found, it would be one drum out of thousands. If we used that as evidence for authenticity then many of us could be wearing leopard-skin trousers.

What drummers and fifers often forget is that "martial music was instituted entirely for the use and benefit of the soldier". They were soldiers first, and musicians second. Their "music" had a practical purpose before it had an intrinsic musicial value.
        Will Chappell

Comment

Well said Will!
          [I][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="2"][FONT="Garamond"]Scott Davis
          Lost Drummer and Fifer[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/I]

Comment

speaking strictly as a fifer, I have grown to really like the sound of an unicumbered snare drum equip with calf skin heads, I think the sound is more effective in "field" conditions and suits the fife better. I see way too many plastic heads and I suspect some of the owners either don't know how to or would rather not have to work with and maintain calfskin.. a pity

joe korber
            Joe Korber

oh so many things,
            way to much to list
            have a good one
            :wink_smil

Comment

Perhaps a revival is in the works. At the Leeburg Muster, Dave Noell told me his group is trying out the wide-open sound of unmuffled drums. Unfortunately, reenactors have now had decades of exposure to the mufflers, and getting them to accept the original authentic unmuffled sound won't be easy.

Joe Whitney
              2nd SC String Band
              Md Line Field Music

Comment

Originally posted by joewhitney View Post
                Perhaps a revival is in the works. At the Leeburg Muster, Dave Noell told me his group is trying out the wide-open sound of unmuffled drums. Unfortunately, reenactors have now had decades of exposure to the mufflers, and getting them to accept the original authentic unmuffled sound won't be easy.

Joe Whitney
                2nd SC String Band
                Md Line Field Music
                I don't think it's the men in the ranks that are opposed to it. It's the musicians. The ring of unmuffled drums isn't that bad unless you're right next to them. Also if you add one unmuffled drum with skin heads to 3 or 4 super-taut plastic-headed Coopermans, the authentic drum sticks out like a sore thumb. The varying tones produced by a group of drummers with authentic drums actually complement each other (especially if you add a unmuffled bass with skins), but they don't have that uniform crisp tone that most drummers prefer. After playing on an unmuffled drum for several years now, the ring doesn't really bother me. I have to admit when I first took the rag out I was unsure about my decision, but after a couple of events I started to like the full sound. I've also learned not to put as much tension on the drum -- just enough to have sufficient bounce to get a good roll. The tighter the drum the sharper the ring
                Will Chappell

Comment

The Liberty Hall Fifes and Drums have been working towards no muffles.

Joe, if you remember two of our drums were muffled on the top of the head for the muster...LOL We did not want to disturb the Ancients. On another note... Muffled drums and drums with no rags do not mix well. It has to be one way or the other.

Currenly we have 5 drums ready to go with skins and no rags. All we need to do is change the heads on our bass and rip out the rag and we will be ready to go.

The Liberty Hall Fifes and Drums will be performing at September Storm with no muffels at all. This is going to be our official field test for no rags.

We ran a test at Gettysburg a few weeks ago for a few members of our Brigade and they liked the sound....

First of all ringing that comes from drums with no muffels can not be heard when standing 20 feet away. It is a pretty nice sound from that distance....

I think the sound is going to be pretty good. We are going to run some more tests this weekend at Fort McHenry.

I was going to save this info for closer to the event, but with this thread I figured now is as good of time as ever.

So if you you here us roaring away at Sept. Storm be sure to let us know what you think of our drums..... More than likley you have never heard such a sound, and a true CW sound it will be.

If any other CW group has played with out rags I would like to know about it.

Thanks,
                  Paul Herring

Liberty Hall Fifes and Drums
                  Stonewall Brigade

Comment

Hello All,

Seven of us from the Camp Chase Fifes and Drums were at the "Down the Valley" event not too long ago. Three out of the four drummers we had in our mess were playing on unmuffled drums. I prefer the sound of the unmuffled drums with fifes. When people use those plastic heads and crank them up as high as they can go, they begin to drowned out the sound of the fifes. When the drums are tuned a little lower, you can hear the whole ensemble much better. I am going to Gettysburg on the Fourth of July weekend to play and jam at O'Rourkes. I will be using an unmuffled drum, much to the shegrin (spelling?) of many who are in attendance.

Patrick Jones
                    Camp Chase Fifes and Drums

Comment

Patrick,

Authentic drums are great outdoors, but inside O'Rourkes is another thing entirely! I wonder if there are any accounts of drummers playing indoors. If I want to be quiet I just throw my wallet on top, but you might want to remove your cash and valuables from your wallet if you are in a bar.
                      Will Chappell

Comment

Will,

We don't actually play inside the bar, we play outside in a little area next to the bar. It is still kind of boomy though. We will also be playing outside of the Dobbin House for most of the weekend. For anyone passing through, stop by and request a song.

Patrick Jones
                        CCFD

Comment

Patrick,

I wish we could meet up at G-burg. We have a performance at Fort McHenry this weekend.

I hope you have a good time at G-burg. Hopefully we will meet up soon.
                          Paul Herring

Liberty Hall Fifes and Drums
                          Stonewall Brigade

Comment

Paul and Will,
                            Going through the sallyport at Fort McHenry playng C Fifes and Skinheads is the way to go. Almost breaks the window panes and shakes the bricks. I look forward to hearing your unmuffled drums this weekend. I sense a revival of the true authentic sound. Playing field music at the birthplace of our national anthem is not only a great thrill but an honor.
                            See you at the Fort.
                            Tim Ertel
                            Fort McHenry Guard Field Music
                            SGLHA

Comment

Working...
                            X