Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mockingbird Quick Step

Hey Folks;

Does anybody know were I can the find the music/sheet music to "Mockingbird Quick Step" like it was played in the movie "The Alamo"? It sounds great on the fiddle and I was hoping to learn it. I have the music "Listen too the Mockingbird" and it does not sound the same.

Thanks,

Greg Papierz

Re: Mockingbird Quick Step

I would be very wary of emulating any of the music from the movie "The Alamo". It was definitely 20th century style music arrangements and style, played on 20th century fiddle, with steel strings. Very entertaining, very "Hollywood", but not of the style or instrument of the early or mid 19th century.

Eric Marten
    Eric Marten

Comment

There are several original versions here.

Paul Herring

Liberty Hall Fifes and Drums
      Stonewall Brigade

Comment

Originally posted by Pappy View Post
        Hey Folks;

Does anybody know were I can the find the music/sheet music to "Mockingbird Quick Step" like it was played in the movie "The Alamo"? It sounds great on the fiddle and I was hoping to learn it. I have the music "Listen too the Mockingbird" and it does not sound the same.

Thanks,

Greg Papierz
        I should hope not. "Listen to the Mockingbird" wasn't published by Septimus Winner until 1855, by which time Messrs. Bowie, Travis, and Crockett had already been worm food for 19 years.

Very truly yours, &c.,

Mark Jaeger
        Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Per a quick search on the Mockingbird Quickstep which is linked to the Alamo movie, "Crockett plays the 'Mockingbird Quick Step' on his fiddle. The song is a version of "Listen to the Mockingbird". It was composed in 1855 and later used by The Three Stooges as a theme song."

The song as used in the movie was arranged by Craig Eastman. Although not the same arrangement, here's a version of the Mockingbird Quickstep as composed by Hosea Ripley as found on an album of 19th Century music being sold by Amazon. This is a link to a snippet of this particular arrangement of tune :

Sounds like the inclusion of Mockingbird Quickstep in a movie about the Alamo would be like playing John Henry at a CW reenactment. Good tunes, wrong time periods.
          Silas Tackitt,
          one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Hi Greg,

I know you asked about this weeks ago, but here is a version of what I think you were asking for:
            http://scriptorium.lib.duke.edu/shee...9-7-72dpi.html

(ETA: Thanks to Dan Woolpert of the 1st Brigade Band for helping me to find this!)
            Last edited by CC sewing; 10-24-2007, 11:50 AM. Reason: added info
            Celeste A. Kostyniuk

Comment

I should have probably posted the link to the info page on this piece, which shows the publication date of this arrangement:
              http://scriptorium.lib.duke.edu/dyna...in+%3Cc01%3E#X
              Celeste A. Kostyniuk

Comment

Working...
              X