Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minstrel Grave in Greenwood Cemetery, Brooklyn.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minstrel Grave in Greenwood Cemetery, Brooklyn.

Yesterday, I was in Greenwood Cemetery in Brooklyn, New York for Modern Art Foundry's annual maintenance of the Civil War monument there. Upon driving around the cemetery we discovered the grave of William H. West, a minstrel.

Though apparently popular in the post-Civil War years, I thought it of interest to post. His grave is adorned with a bronze banjo, tambourine, and even bones, along with his bust. I have to admit it is one of the coolest looking music related graves I've seen.

Musician. He was known as the Progressive Minstrel, and was the sole producer of The Richest and Costliest Minstrel Organization in Existence. He produced West's Big Minstrel Jubilee, which featured some of the leading performers of the day, always ending with the cast, in Black-Face, singing songs of the period....

For all of you banjo pickers and tambo shakers, I think its worth investigating. Sadly, my camera was out of film so if anyone can dig up any better shots that would be great.

For now, rely on "thefindagrave" link.
    Your Obedient,

Matthew B. Bursig
    52nd New York Regt. "German Rangers",
    & The Daybreak B'hoys Mess

Researching the Life and Times of the 20th NYSV Regt. The "United Turner Rifles"

"Bahn Frei!!"

Re: Minstrel Grave in Greenwood Cemetery, Brooklyn.

Some photos of the grave site doing a web search:
    Your Obedient,

Matthew B. Bursig
    52nd New York Regt. "German Rangers",
    & The Daybreak B'hoys Mess

Researching the Life and Times of the 20th NYSV Regt. The "United Turner Rifles"

"Bahn Frei!!"

Comment

That is pretty cool. Thanks for posting it!
      Paul Herring

Liberty Hall Fifes and Drums
      Stonewall Brigade

Comment

Missed our target date by about 30 or 40 years, but a very groovy headstone nonetheless. I think I want to be buried with a banjo on my headstone.
        [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Carl Anderton[/FONT]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]"A very good idea of the old style of playing may be formed by referring to the [I]Briggs Banjo Instructor."[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
        [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][B]Albert Baur, Sgt., Co. A, 102nd Regiment, NY Volunteer Infantry.[/B][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
        X