This image is about as good as they come:

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
    Attached Files
    Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Re: Fiddlin' and Drinkin' image

Mark:
    Thank you for that beautiful photo image.
    Now, a plea to all re-enactor fiddlers and would be fiddlers. Please examine this image, enlarge it and notice the details. Notice the lack of chin-rest, and the rather thick (gut) E string. Wouldn't it be nice if all of us adhered to these details. Nothing can be more frustrating as to be at an event, playing on a period instrument, and then have some other musician sits down with you and begin jamming on an entirely inappropriate instrument. You try to be nice and not insult anyone, but it sort of ruins the moment. I remember at an event at Gettysberg this happened, and an "fiddler" sat down with his steel strings, and amongst his slurred speech blurted out "You know, steel strings were invented in 1859!" Actually , nothing could be further from the truth. They were developed in the 20th century. This is not just the appearance that matters, though that is important. The sound is so totally different, and naturally, the steel strings ring out so loud as compared to the gut, that they dominate the sound. Also, some fiddler comes up with a story like, "I read that Hans Gribbelschnipper was documented to have used a chin rest once in upper Hohenspausen in Germany in 1865", and then use that as reason for playing on a fiddle with a modern chin rest at an event, military, living history, civilian, or whatever. The truth is that Louis Spohr's invention of a small block of wood above the center of the tail-piece simply did not catch on until the late 19th century in Europe, and even later in America. Don't look for the most odd, outrageous shred of "proof" and then use that to justify not going all the way in your fiddler impression. (or other instruments, for that matter) Try the gut strings - they are so mellow and the sound will really transport you and your listeners to another time . As for the "dis-comfort" of not using a chin rest, it is well documented that it was customary, to those who wished, to place a small cushion, or rolled up handkerchief on your shoulder BENEATH your shirt or vest, to add a little support. (Francois Baillot, 1835; Ferdinand David 1845, etc.)
    So, Mark, again, thanks for the image, and everyone: examine other photos, drawings, paintings and written descriptions for the proper impressions. Especially valuable are the many paintings of William Sidney Mount of Stony Brook , Long Island, (`1807-1868) . many images of fiddlers, and his famous painting "The Banjo Player" with a great view of a fretless banjo with gut strings.
    Thanks for letting me get this off my chest.

Eric Marten
    Eric Marten

Comment

Working...
    X