The Banjo Database.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Banjo Database.

Greg Adams is as good an archivist as he is a player (and he's a pretty impressive player).
    Last edited by Old Cremona; 08-19-2007, 04:16 PM. Reason: gramerr.
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Carl Anderton[/FONT]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]"A very good idea of the old style of playing may be formed by referring to the [I]Briggs Banjo Instructor."[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][B]Albert Baur, Sgt., Co. A, 102nd Regiment, NY Volunteer Infantry.[/B][/FONT]

Re: The Banjo Database.

Carl -

It's a great site.

Do you think Greg or George want old banjo-related finds forwarded to them for evaluation and possible contribution to the database? We of the 'early banjo' community know how to contact them, but it seems there should be a link for contributions if they want the database to grow.

- Dan Wykes

Latest musical attempt "Ah, May the Red Rose Live Alway" S.C. Foster
    Last edited by Danny; 08-21-2007, 01:32 PM.
    Danny Wykes

Comment

Awesome site, Carl! Thanks for sharing the link. :)
      Anna Allen
      <a href="http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/">Star of the West Society</a>
      [COLOR="DarkRed"][B]The Cherry Bounce Girls Mess[/B][/COLOR] :p

[I]It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word.[/I]-Andrew Jackson

Comment

Thanks, Cousin Samuel :wink_smil for those wonderful images. I particularly love the tinted ambrotype of the young woman playing the banjo with that great big ring on her finger. She's a beauty. I enjoyed the chance to see the humble interiors in these pictures. What a nice collection.
        [FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"]Silvana R. Siddali[/SIZE][/FONT]
        [URL="http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/home"][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"]Star of the West Society[/SIZE][/FONT][/URL][B]
        [COLOR="DarkRed"]Cherry Bounce G'hal[/B][/COLOR]:wink_smil

Comment

Greg and I met with the NEH yesterday to look into future expansion and funding. We will meet again Monday to work on grant wording. We hope to add a scholars forum for comentary on images as well as an expanded search function.

I hope you will all support this efort. We have many more entries to make but time and money are always short!

If you find a banjo, please send it to us to a work-up! We hope that this will expand many times beyond its current humble parameters.
          [FONT="Book Antiqua"]George Wunderlich
          Executive Director
          National Museum of Civil War Medicine and
          The Letterman Institute [/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Silvana Siddali View Post
            I particularly love the tinted ambrotype of the young woman playing the banjo with that great big ring on her finger. She's a beauty.
            You talkin' about the African-American woman? Rare image that. And she is rather handsome, I should think. I dig her Boo-shay banjo. It looks exactly like my Wunder
            [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Carl Anderton[/FONT]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]"A very good idea of the old style of playing may be formed by referring to the [I]Briggs Banjo Instructor."[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
            [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][B]Albert Baur, Sgt., Co. A, 102nd Regiment, NY Volunteer Infantry.[/B][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
            X