Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

General or Field Grade Officers Tooting their own Bugle!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General or Field Grade Officers Tooting their own Bugle!

We know of 4:
    Major Blackburn, 5th AL Bttn, Rodes Division. Bugled often as skirmish/sharpshooter line commander.

MG Dan Butterfield: borrowed his brigade buglers bugle and sounded the charge. (OK so he only sounded the bugle once....)

BG August Willich, sounded the Prussian calls on a silver officer's bugle. His brigade known as "The Bugle Brigade" as they bugled themselves over hill and dale.

BG Starkweather, was Colonel of the 1st Wisconsin, then as brigadier his distinctive little bugle was heard over the shouts and din of the battlefield. Sounded a charge on the first day of Chickamauga. Set an ambush and ordered his men not to fire until they heard the bugle sound. After a successful assault during the Tullahoma Campaign he sounded the ASSEMBLY and the brigade formed up by company and Reg't. etc.

Anyone else?
    RJ Samp
    (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
    Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Re: General or Field Grade Officers Tooting their own Bugle!

Not that I know of, but it is in the 1863 Manual that all officers show know the calls and be able to sound them if needed.

Jason Simmons

Comment

Re: General or Field Grade Officers Tooting their own Bugle!

How could I forget.......CSA Cavalry commander (of Jackson's Cavalry) Turner Ashby tooted on an English Fox Hunting horn......

Yes, Officer's were supposed to be able to sound, if necessary, the calls on the bugle. What I'm interested in is those who actually did.
      RJ Samp
      (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
      Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

Working...
      X