Minstrel banjo youtube video.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minstrel banjo youtube video.

I beg your indulgence for a little youtube video I made...

2 early banjo tunes. Harper's Jig is from the New Banjo Book of 1860, and Mrs. McCloud's Reel is from Phil. Rice's 1858 Method for the Banjo.For more great ...

[youtube]6HOKwRiBc8s[/youtube]

Thanks,
    Last edited by paulcalloway; 08-27-2007, 05:46 PM. Reason: embedding video
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Carl Anderton[/FONT]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]"A very good idea of the old style of playing may be formed by referring to the [I]Briggs Banjo Instructor."[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][B]Albert Baur, Sgt., Co. A, 102nd Regiment, NY Volunteer Infantry.[/B][/FONT]

Re: Minstrel banjo youtube video.

Carl:

Certainly not an indulgence. It was beautiful. You made my day!

Eric Marten
    Eric Marten

Comment

Great job! I enjoyed that.
      Paul Calloway
      Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
      Proud Member of the GHTI
      Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
      Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Very well done.
        Randy Allen

Comment

Mr. Anderson,

Thought you did a lovely jorb. Thanks for sharing. And what I smile at the end too! :p

I remain,
          Jason C. Spellman
          Skillygalee Mess

"Those fine fellows in Virginia are pouring out their heart's blood like water. Virginia will be heroic dust--the army of glorious youth that has been buried there."--Mary Chesnut

Comment

Bravo!!! I love to hear a good banjo and fiddle! I envy anyone who can play an instrument. I may take up playing, if I can ever find time for lessons! I have an affliction to make a gourd banjo, maybe sometime this winter! Is your banjo an original?

The Mad Mick!!!
            Jeremy G. Richardson

Preserving History by Recreating the Past!

Comment

I need all my mornings to begin that way. Carl is that you playing?
              Matt Woodburn
              Retired Big Bug
              WIG/GHTI
              Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
              "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

All I can say is, youRock, and thanks for the little trip back in time.

- Dan Wykes
                Danny Wykes

Comment

Awesome, Carl! I always enjoy hearing you play your banjo. :) You know I think I have a couple videos from a few past events of you and some of the boys playing. Only I think it ended up that you could really only hear Frank and his bones. haha. I'll have to look for those videos again.
                  Anna Allen
                  <a href="http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/">Star of the West Society</a>
                  [COLOR="DarkRed"][B]The Cherry Bounce Girls Mess[/B][/COLOR] :p

[I]It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word.[/I]-Andrew Jackson

Comment

That's great, Carl! Wonderful playing, and I love the tune, too. Thanks for sharing this.
                    [FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"]Silvana R. Siddali[/SIZE][/FONT]
                    [URL="http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/home"][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"]Star of the West Society[/SIZE][/FONT][/URL][B]
                    [COLOR="DarkRed"]Cherry Bounce G'hal[/B][/COLOR]:wink_smil

Comment

Great video and you sound great.

Does anyone know of a site (youtube, ect.) that has videos of minsteral shows (for example the one at Perryville last year)? I looked all over youtube and did not find any.
                      Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
                      Civil War Digital Digest
                      Sally Port Mess

Comment

Carl,

Most excellent. You are truly one of our hobby's finest resources for period minstrel music. I've thoroughly enjoyed all of your video clips on Youtube. Thank you for your fine accomplishments.
                        [B]Joseph Hodges[/B]

[FONT=Book Antiqua]“… and know that it was in California we learned the art of making long journeys with safety, to endure privations with cheerfulness, and to thrive under the most adverse circumstances, and these have enabled us to make strides in war which may seem gigantic to the uninitiated.”[/FONT]
                        [SIZE=1](excerpt from a letter from Gen. W. T. Sherman to Governor Frederick Low of California, dated Goldsborough, N.C. March 24, 1865)[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by jgr1974 View Post
                          Bravo!!! Is your banjo an original?

The Mad Mick!!!
                          Jeremy,

The banjo is a James Hartel 1852 Ashborn reproduction. He had it on display at last years Antietam Early Banjo Gathering hosted by George Wunderlich. It sounded so good I just had to buy it. The wife was thrilled about that!:wink_smil

Thanks for all the kind responses. This type of music don't exactly "be illin" so it's nice to share it with the few people who can understand and enjoy it.
                          Last edited by Old Cremona; 08-29-2007, 03:59 PM. Reason: my ability to use rap jargon is weak

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]"A very good idea of the old style of playing may be formed by referring to the [I]Briggs Banjo Instructor."[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
                          [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][B]Albert Baur, Sgt., Co. A, 102nd Regiment, NY Volunteer Infantry.[/B][/FONT]

Comment

Mr.Anderton,
                            Wonderful music! Is the Banjo Gathering open to fiddlers to?
                            I would love to fond some music to both tunes. Do you know where to find some?
                            Andrew Turner
                            Co.D 27th NCT
                            Liberty Rifles

"Well, by God, I’ll take my men in and if they outflank me I’ll face my men about and cut my way out. Forward, men!” Gen. John R. Cooke at Bristoe Station,VA

Comment

Originally posted by 27thNCdrummer View Post
                              Mr.Anderton,
                              Wonderful music! Is the Banjo Gathering open to fiddlers to?
                              I would love to fond some music to both tunes. Do you know where to find some?

I'm glad you brought that up, Andrew. Firstly, the Antietam Early Banjo Gathering is open to fiddlers, bones player, tambourinists(?), and all people who love and/or play popular mid-nineteenth music. 'Course, the focus is mainly on the banjo, but by all means, join us. For information, see the earlier thread by George Wunderlich.

As to the music, you can order the early banjo tutor reprints from places like Elderly Instruments. 'Course, early fiddle tutors like Howe's and others are a fiddle players most important resource, but familiarizing yourself with the banjo music is a good idea, too. Last year at the Banjo gathering we had a guy named Chuck Krepley gave a talk on playing authentic mid 19th cen. style fiddle music, and he encouraged us to do it the same way we learn the banjo- by studying period tutors. You can listen to his presentation here- http://www.milfordmusic.com/Banjo%20Audio.htm

Comment

Working...
                              X