Lady with accordion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lady with accordion

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this, but I thought it was an interesting image. I've always thought it'd be cool to play the accordion. :D

If the link doesn't work, the item number is 190145489928
    Anna Allen
    <a href="http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/">Star of the West Society</a>
    [COLOR="DarkRed"][B]The Cherry Bounce Girls Mess[/B][/COLOR] :p

[I]It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word.[/I]-Andrew Jackson

Re: Lady with accordion

Anna -

Nice parlor photo - I attached it here for continuing reference. She's holding what appears to be a long rectangle-shaped squeeze box. I can't see any keyboard though, only buttons, so is it an accordion? Someone here will know. Perhaps it's just a weird-shaped concertina.

With your knowledge of period clothing, hair style, etc. can you advise what decade this photo was taken? CW vintage seems reasonable given the gutta percha frame box.

Dan Wykes
    Last edited by Danny; 05-25-2008, 11:54 PM.
    Danny Wykes

Comment

Miss Allen,

My best guess is that this image will sell for big bucks, it's most likely not an accordian, but an instrument popular during the 1840-60s called a flutina accordeon. Here is a link to see an open flutina....

A good friend in San Diego knows more than I do about these instruments, but they are great to look at, and fun to play. We saw one for sale at a nearby shop.:D
      Mfr,
      Judith Peebles.
      No Wooden Nutmegs Sold Here.
      [B]Books![B][/B][/B] The Original Search Engine.

Comment

Oh, cool! You're probably right about the instrument she's holding. I really have no musical knowledge whatsoever! But now I want to play one of those. haha. That'd be sweet. I'd date this image somewhere in the 1850s.
        Anna Allen
        <a href="http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/">Star of the West Society</a>

[I]It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word.[/I]-Andrew Jackson

Comment

Originally posted by Anna Allen View Post
          I've always thought it'd be cool to play the accordion. :D
          Only on a CW reenacting board would the words "cool" and "accordian" be used in the same sentance:D

Actually, you're right, it would be cool if you played the accordian. When you do, let me know, I'll fire all the hacks in my band (except Frank) and hire you, and we'll embark on a world tour. Silvana will be the manager.

Chris Ownby is the flutina expert around here, hopefully he'll chime in soon. He owns 2 originals.
          [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Carl Anderton[/FONT]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]"A very good idea of the old style of playing may be formed by referring to the [I]Briggs Banjo Instructor."[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
          [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][B]Albert Baur, Sgt., Co. A, 102nd Regiment, NY Volunteer Infantry.[/B][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Old Cremona View Post
            Only on a CW reenacting board would the words "cool" and "accordian" be used in the same sentance:D
            Yeah, my friends think I'm nuts. But whatever. Accordions frickin' RAWK. :D

Actually, you're right, it would be cool if you played the accordian. When you do, let me know, I'll fire all the hacks in my band (except Frank) and hire you, and we'll embark on a world tour. Silvana will be the manager.
            This is why I love you so much, Carl. It's what makes me love the hobby as much as I do. We're gonna have the greatest 1850s rock band ever!

But seriously, it would be neat to learn how to play a period accordion someday. (Stress the "someday.") If anyone DOES play the accordion, I'd love to find more info about it. I wonder how easy it is to acquire a period instrument. Anyone know if they're making reproductions??

VERY cool. ;)
            Anna Allen

Comment

I have a little tidbit of Flutina performance info, from banjoist Frank Converse's series of articles published in The Cadenza around the turn of the last century. In Part XIII, pub. June 1902, Converse is bemoaning the passing of so many of the old-time minstrels.

..."a few still linger, but they have gone 'way back and sat down; their ancient jokes and witticisms have paled and amuse no more, their voices as silent as their departed brothers, forgotton, crowded off the stage by a fickle, capricious, ever-changing fashion, "has beens," dead to the present generation;-alas! poor Yoricks, only to be recalled by their obituaries! Certainly death has been busy of late..."

..."And last, though he was not a minstrel comedian, yet one most prominently identified with minstrels' palmy days, round whose name clusters the memories of the past, genial Neil Bryant, last of the Bryant brothers- Dan, Jerry and Neil- and reminiscent of the now long silent Bryant's Minstrels, who for about ten years held sway as the most popular minstrel company in New York, and whose cosey little hall at 472 Broadway was a veritable mint. Often their yearly profits reached $40,000; but the brothers were high livers, and so their estates were easily administered."

"Neil's speciality was the flutina, and how he could play it! His solo on that instrument was always a most pleasing feature of the bill. (In later years) he appeared on several vaudeville stages, finally abandoning his professional life in 1883. His later years were spent in a clerkship in the Coast Survey Department. He died in St. Mary's Hospital, Brooklyn, after a very protracted illness."

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]"A very good idea of the old style of playing may be formed by referring to the [I]Briggs Banjo Instructor."[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
              [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][B]Albert Baur, Sgt., Co. A, 102nd Regiment, NY Volunteer Infantry.[/B][/FONT]

Comment

I've got an old accordion for sale if anyone is interested. :)
                Michael Comer
                one of the moderator guys

Comment

Chris Ownby is the flutina expert around here, hopefully he'll chime in soon. He owns 2 originals.[/QUOTE]

Yep, I own 2 orginal flutinas but, unfortunately, I am not an expert. If you are able to find a flutina, it will probably need to be repaired to make it playable. Finding someone to do that is rather difficult. George Wunderlick told me that some of the folks at the Hohner Harmonica Company might be able to repair them. I have not yet had the flutinas repaired for they seem rather fragile and I don't want to ruin an original 1840's and 1850's flutina by playing them.

I would suggest that you look for a new or used concertina with two rows of buttons. I don't know of any reproduction flutinas.

Good Luck,
                  Chris Ownby

PS: Carl, can I play de ole jawbone on de world tour

Comment

Originally posted by El Dorado View Post

PS: Carl, can I play de ole jawbone on de world tour
                    Heck yeah, you're on. As long as you also play "Ben Bolt" on the flutina (we'll build our own authentic repro with our considerable proceeds).

Comment

If you are already acquainted with keyboard instruments, you'll do well with an accordion. For ease of playing, carrying, and just plain 19th century musical fun, I'd recommend a concertina. Look into anglos, if you want to play melodies. I liked to play chords whilst singing, so the English was preferable for me.

Finding an original instrument in playing condition could prove difficult. Often they are museum pieces only. The method and construction has not changed much in the last 150 years. While you can get cheap "pearlized" instruments with lots of plastic, beautifully toned new and used concertinas with carved wood ends with leather bellows are readily available.

Everything you ever wanted to know about concertinas can be gleaned from the good folks at concertina.net.

Happy playing!

Comment

Hello again, music lovers!

Along with my friend Mr. Chris Ownby, I too own unplayable "Flutinas," three of them in my case.

I also live in San Diego, so maybe there is something about our location.

Actually one of them is "almost playable," even.

I understand that these were "the" accordeon, from sometime in the 1830s until the early 1870s, which certainly covers the time period of the ACW.
                        They are certainly the most common type in earlier images, and the earlier method books.

They are the instruments featured in "The Complete Preceptor ...Accordeon," Elias Howe, 1843, and "Ethiopian Accordeon Instructor, ... for the French Accordeon" by Cumbo Chaff, of 1848 (also Elias Howe).

Note the spelling, which is still used in some European sources.

Musurgia, a New York Instrument dealer in Musical items, has not only some great early images, but also very informative notes on the instrument, which would certainly be enjoyed by anyone with an interest in the area.
                        Here is a link to a great 1856 (dated) dag, which includes a nice essay on the instrument:

Be sure to look around, as they have a number of fine images of period musicians!

I believe that the "keyboard" or piano accordeon is a 20th century invention, for the American market.
                        There are a couple of key board accordeons/accordions in an Italian collection which are dated to c.1855 and c.1860 by their catalogue, but they do not look "right" to me.
                        Quien sabe?

And they don't show up in Sear's catalogues until the teens or twenties (early 20th century).

Yours,
                        David Swarens

Comment

Thank you for all that great information, Dave, and the link. Your presence around here is refreshing.

Comment

This slipped my mind on my earlier post...

Another lovely lady with instrument (daguerreotype c. 1857) can be found at http://www.concertina.com/atlas/ladi...mary-baker.htm. (Sorry, I don't think the actual photo will attach, yet - I'm still a recruit!)

Comment

Originally posted by The Knittin' Kitten View Post
                              ... Sorry, I don't think the actual photo will attach, yet - I'm still a recruit!...
                              Dear lady, allow me -- that photo attached here.

My regular musical pard plays concertina (Anglo) to great effect.

But in that regard, for concertinists new to playing with we of the stringed creed, particularly banjoists, to please keep time by tapping your foot and practice with a metronome. Apparently there is a natural tendency for concertinists to want to flourish the note artistically, especially on a push or draw. Since banjoists are actually as much about percussion / rythm as they are about melody they need a warning that a flourish is about to take place, and whether it will be a full or some odd fraction of a measure.

- Dan Wykes
                              Last edited by Danny; 05-25-2008, 11:54 PM.
                              Danny Wykes

Comment

Working...
                              X