Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiddler image - need some second opinions

Greetings,

Just won this image on EBay tonight. Amazingly, I was the only bidder for it.

The dealer states this is a large (half-plate) ferrotype/melainotype, which seems to be in fairly good shape. The image, from all appearances, is legitimate: it definitely has the right "look."

The man's general appearance strongly suggests late 1850's (e.g., the "dippity-do" hairstyle, "vest loops," and narrow-sleeved coat). Given that the ferrotype process was not patented until February 1856, the photo can't date any earlier than that, but (correct me if I'm wrong) the man's clothing and hair would have been pretty much passe by 1861. Therefore, I split the difference and assigned a c.1858-1860 dating. Also note that the fiddler slightly moved his hands during photography, slightly blurring his bow and instrument. The photo is apparently not ID'd, but the dealer is out of Michigan, so that's where the image may have originated.

It's also possible this item might be a later ferrotype copy photo, but I'd be very grateful for additional comments and opinions y'all may offer.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
    Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Re: Fiddler image - need some second opinions

Congratulations, Mark, you seem to have gotten that for a reasonable price. I can't help you on the dating, but you seem to have it just about nailed down. Too bad the fiddle is blurred. You can, however, make out that the G string is wound, while the others are presumably plain gut.
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Carl Anderton[/FONT]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]"A very good idea of the old style of playing may be formed by referring to the [I]Briggs Banjo Instructor."[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][B]Albert Baur, Sgt., Co. A, 102nd Regiment, NY Volunteer Infantry.[/B][/FONT]

Comment

Mark -

Can't say anything about the dating, but appreciate that the man couldn't quite hold still for the photographer - a real person photo. (In our much later age many musicians are presumed "Attention Deficit Disorder" )

See a copy of your photo attached for posterity here.

Dan Wykes
      Last edited by Danny; 05-25-2008, 11:54 PM.
      Danny Wykes

Comment

Nice image!

Kim Caudell

Comment

The fiddler is certainly 1850s, but I'd wager it's a later tintype copy of an earlier ambro or possibly very late dag. It doesn't have that crisp focus, and the tone looks really muddy to me.

Awesome snag, tho'!
          Jason R. Wickersty
          http://www.newblazingstarpress.com

Received. “How now about the fifth and sixth guns?”
          Sent. “The sixth gun is the bully boy.”
          Received. “Can you give it any directions to make it more bully?”
          Sent. “Last shot was little to the right.”
          Received. “Fearfully hot here. Several men sunstruck. Bullets whiz like fun. Have ceased firing for awhile, the guns are so hot."

- O.R.s, Series 1, Volume 26, Part 1, pg 86.

Comment

Originally posted by ThehosGendar View Post
            ...I'd wager it's a later tintype copy of an earlier ambro or possibly very late dag...
            We can suppose "ambro" is short for Ambrotype - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambrotype

"dag" short for Daguerreotype - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daguerreotype

- Dan Wykes
            Danny Wykes

Comment

Originally posted by ThehosGendar View Post
              The fiddler is certainly 1850s, but I'd wager it's a later tintype copy of an earlier ambro or possibly very late dag. It doesn't have that crisp focus, and the tone looks really muddy to me.

Awesome snag, tho'!
              Master and Commander Wickersty,

Yes indeed, great minds think alike. Until I can get my grubby little paws on this image, I'm inclined to think it's an 1860's or later ferrotype copy of an earlier ambrotype which, I sadly suspect, is now lost.

Time will tell!

Mark Jaeger
              Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Working...
              X