Photograph of four military drummers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photograph of four military drummers

Anyone want to try and explain this one?

PHOTOGRAPH OF FOUR MILITARY DRUMMERS. Large frame of military drummers. IMAGE SIZE: 16"x13". Seated are four young men in musicians coats with eagle sword belts and their four drums sitting in front of them. Reverse of photographs states, "GREAT GRANDFATHER QUIMBY WHO WAS A DRUMMER IN THE CIVIL WAR, 1862-1863". 4-50384 JS83 (750-1,500)
    Will Chappell

Re: Photograph of four military drummers

Sir-
    The hats they have on look almost like "pillbox hats" from the postwar period. It's interesting possibility that this COULD be just postwar, but one of the soldiers in the pictures is a veteran of the WBTS...?

I like the decorative straps on their soldiers especially of the 1st SGT... makes him look kinda like an officer except for his chevrons.

Just a theory- Johnny Lloyd
    Johnny Lloyd
    John "Johnny" Lloyd
    Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
    SCAR
    Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
    Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
    Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
    Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

What's the provenance for this image (i.e., who currently holds it)? And, there's also the possibility that one or more of the men shown are not actually drummers. The drums and sticks were simply placed in front of them for effect.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
      Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Great image Will! Where did you get it?
        Andrew Turner
        Co.D 27th NCT
        Liberty Rifles

"Well, by God, I’ll take my men in and if they outflank me I’ll face my men about and cut my way out. Forward, men!” Gen. John R. Cooke at Bristoe Station,VA

Comment

The photo was from the James D. Julia Auctioneers website. Maybe you're right about the drums being props, Mark. Nevertheless, the drums appear to be pre-1880, when drums started to get shorter. Based on their size, the drums look like they could be from the war. And given how old the men appear to be, it might be possible that they served in the same drum corps together during the war. Still curious...
          Will Chappell

Comment

Could be one of those city fife and drum corps.....these uniforms remind me of band uniforms......

Don't know of any ACW regiments where the Field Music's wore a different uniform than the soldier's...... probably are a few out of the x,000 regiment's.....but I don't know of any. Band's on the other hand often wore different uniform's....fancier....
            RJ Samp
            (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
            Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

Working...
            X