Early banjo gathering radio coverage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early banjo gathering radio coverage

this is coverage from this past weekend at the Pry House. It was a great gathering and a great time was had by all.

I hope you will all consider coming out next year!
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]George Wunderlich
    Executive Director
    National Museum of Civil War Medicine and
    The Letterman Institute [/FONT]

Re: Early banjo gathering radio coverage

George -

Everybody in this Civil War Music forum can learn from this radio clip.

Your thoughtful explanation of the setting of the early banjo was both concise and informative. Particularly interesting was your overview of the setting for banjo during the Civil War, and your note that Army doctors apparently utilized musicians (even banjo players) to play for recuperating soldiers to aid in their recovery.

You also reviewed the significance of the battle of Antietam, in context with 9/11 and other historical U.S. disasters. That was a plus, as was your careful explanation of the role of African-Americans in bringing the proto-banjo to this country, where it became a uniquely American rhythm and melody instrument. The banjo was a significant part of the first popular American music, amalgated by the German, Irish, English etc. traditions, and "recorded" for the masses by the burgeoning sheet music industry.

The reporter, Jennifer Chang, referenced the Early Banjo Conference attendees as "Banjo Fanatics," but I think the term "Banjo Lovers" more apt.

Thanks for the open invite for next year's event - I might feel more comfortable to attend at that time.

- Dan Wykes

note: Because the WYPR link will "time-out" at some point I saved the clip also at the Minstrel Banjo supplemental site at http://groups.google.com/group/Albert-Baur/files?hl=en
    Last edited by Danny; 09-20-2007, 03:58 PM.
    Danny Wykes

Comment

Re: Early banjo gathering radio coverage

Does anyone have a used period banjo they want to part with? I would like to learn to play also any tips?
      Keith Pavulak

Comment

Working...
      X