Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minstrel Tab request

All,
    Does anyone have a .pdf or equivalent document file of the songs "Old King Crow" or "Dandy Jim" that they wouldn't mind forwarding my way? I have both of Weidlich's books on period instructors but these two songs seemed to have slipped through the cracks for the publications.

Any assistance is appreciated,
    Cody Mobley
    Cody Mobley

Texas Ground Hornets
    Texas State Troops

[HOUSTON] TRI-WEEKLY TELEGRAPH, October 28, 1863,

Wanted.

All ladies in Houston and surrounding counties who have cloth on hand, which they can spare, are requested to donate it to the ladies of Crockett for the purpose of making petticoats for the Minute Men of this county, who have "backed out" of the service. We think the petticoat more suitable for them in these times.

Re: Minstrel Tab request

If I get time before I leave for Chickamauga tonight, I'll copy and send both in pdf. Might send you a couple Steven Foster tunes I've tabbed from original sheet music. They're pretty easy to play, and most of his songs have nice melodies.
    Silas Tackitt,
    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Gentlemens,

Let's take it from the original source. Both of these tunes can be found in the Briggs Banjo Instructor of 1855.

Cody mentions "both" of the Weidlich books, ak-shully there are three, the other is the tab book for the Briggs Banjo Instructor.

'Course, with a tab book you have to trust the arranger to get it right. One more reason to learn to read notation, like James Buckley wants you to:D
      [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Carl Anderton[/FONT]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]"A very good idea of the old style of playing may be formed by referring to the [I]Briggs Banjo Instructor."[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
      [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][B]Albert Baur, Sgt., Co. A, 102nd Regiment, NY Volunteer Infantry.[/B][/FONT]

Comment

Carl,

You are correct. I'm being an enabler. I'll try harder in the future.

Being that I had already prepared the items before seeing Carl's post, Cody, send me your address via email to my mobile account of tackitt@zipcon.net It was easier for me to make photocopies and stuff them into an envelope than to pop them into pdf format. I'll bring them with me and mail 'em from Atlanta.
        Silas Tackitt,
        one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Cremona View Post
          ... One more reason to learn to read notation, like James Buckley wants you to:D
          And if'n you'd wanna learn that, here's all the song pages in book form* from Buckley's own 1868 Banjo Guide at

The subject pdf just below "Virginia Serenaders drawing."

- Dan Wykes

(*from raw page scans courtesy Mr. T at the Banjo Clubhouse)
          Last edited by Danny; 09-20-2007, 07:52 PM.
          Danny Wykes

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
            And if'n you'd wanna learn that, here's all the song pages in book form* from Buckley's own 1868 Banjo Guide at

The subject pdf just below "Virginia Serenaders drawing."

- Dan Wykes

(*from raw page scans courtesy Mr. T at the Banjo Clubhouse)
            I suppose you might do that, but how much better it would be to study the 1855 Briggs Banjo Instructor, the 1858 Phil. Rice Correct Banjo Method, and James Buckey's New Banjo Book of 1860. I suspect the 1868 Buckley was published after the war. Don't know why.:sarcastic

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]"A very good idea of the old style of playing may be formed by referring to the [I]Briggs Banjo Instructor."[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
            [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][B]Albert Baur, Sgt., Co. A, 102nd Regiment, NY Volunteer Infantry.[/B][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Old Cremona View Post
              I suppose you might do that, but how much better it would be to study the 1855 Briggs Banjo Instructor, the 1858 Phil. Rice Correct Banjo Method, and James Buckey's New Banjo Book of 1860. I suspect the 1868 Buckley was published after the war. Don't know why.:sarcastic
              Carl -

I didn't have those others in pdf book form to offer. The 1868 contains primarily antebellum-through-war-period-as-performed songs so I judged that still useful. No harm intended.

- Dan Wykes
              Danny Wykes

Comment

No harm intended I'm sure, it's just that this thread was about two songs from the Briggs tutor. Seems kind of odd to suggest a 1868 tutor that doesn't even have those two songs. Another thread, perhaps.

Comment

Working...
                X