Recorded period music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recorded period music

I am an outsider peaking into this thread at the last minute, but I think I can somewhat echo my fellow colleague Mr. Marten's words. The point that we are all actively participating in keeping a music tradition alive is what matters!

However you want to participate in that style is a personal preference. The more authentic the better for this forum and our hobby, but if you are doing it for your own enjoyment, then play it as you will.

I play electric jigs and reels on a 12 string rickenbacker, but does that mean I would I do that for civil war living history? HECK NO!! Make the musical shifts and adjustments when necessary.

The important thing is that the tradition survives, and traditions need to grow as well. Keep your ears open as musicians and eyes wide as historians, and I think the musical aspect of this hobby will continue to thrive, grow, and most importantly survive for future generations.
    Last edited by MBBursig; 11-03-2007, 08:04 PM.
    Your Obedient,

Matthew B. Bursig
    52nd New York Regt. "German Rangers",
    & The Daybreak B'hoys Mess

Researching the Life and Times of the 20th NYSV Regt. The "United Turner Rifles"

"Bahn Frei!!"

Comment

Here are some well researched sources:

Library of Congress recordings on CD, _American Fiddle Tunes_ on Rounder, newer recordings from 1930s and 40s, but documenting earlier styles from around the U.S.:

The Rounder Library of Congress offerings are great, the liner notes are multi-page, historically focused, and fabulous. This is one I would get. Again, since this collection has a broader historical scope than just the mid-19th century, weed out ragtime, blues, and other subsequent influences. The signifiance of each tune and its playing technique is carefully discussed.

Valuable historical fiddle CD, repros, also from Rounder. Same caveat, but the extensive notes are a great guide to interpreting what you hear:

Alan Lomax discography. These are probably each a very mixed bag, but being as how its Rounder I would expect excellent notes to guide:

More early sound clips. Again, considering the provenance of what you hear is needful:

Sheldon Harris sheet music collection (Some Christy Minstrel and Ethiopian Serenaders on here, which you have probably already seen.):

more sheet music:

and of course:
      Midi music collection of Early 20th Century American Music from the early 1900s through the 1920s.

Listings of possibly useful sources:

Some recommended books:
      Traditional Music of America - Ira W. Ford
      The Devil's Box - Masters of Southern Fiddling by Charles Wolfe
      With Fiddle and Well-Rosined Bow - Joyce H. Cauthen

Banjo, Dr. Horsehair:

(Note: I know NOTHING at all about banjo, so do not take this for an endorsement. I just thought this article was interesting enough to mention, at least. Might turn the discussion toward banjo music!)

I can't find any of Cecil Sharp's U.S. recordings available online, but here is a journal article that sounds interesting:

more Sharp:

??:

For anyone with accesss to JSTOR, there are literally HUNDREDS of articles on all sorts of American historical music online there!
      Last edited by amity; 11-03-2007, 07:39 PM.
      Terre Schill

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SongToTheLamb/"]SongToTheLamb[/URL]
      [URL="http://www.shapenote.net/"]Sacred Harp.mus[/URL]

Comment

Perhaps not documentable, but I think worthy of consideration, is that music passed from one generation to the next in many ways, perhaps most influential being early childhood exposure. This adds considerably to the time frame in which a particular tune or method holds influence. For example in my own family, the average years-span between generations is 40 years... so, by the time a member of my family had their own children to influence, they effectively had 40-80 years worth of influence in their own lives of the traditions, including the tunes and manner of playing. My grandfather, who entered the world in 1868, was born to a father who already had his own 40+ years of experience, including the influence of his father's traditions, and not unlikely his own grandfather's as well. It is not at all a stretch to recognize that my mother, born after the turn of the century, still had roots that reached back into the CW period and before. Indeed, she told me stories that her mother and grandmother had told her. Music tradition is a heritage that, though influenced by, doesn't just depend on public performance or popularity.

Comment

"You can ALWAYS listen to Camptown Shakers!!! They have three CDs out now I believe.

Donald"

Yes, the Camptown Shakers now have 3 CDs out, and played yesterday at Fredericksburg. They do a great job leading dances and have a growing and enthusiastic following, and several of their tunes are on CDBaby.

Rich the former jawbones guy has gone over to the campground in the sky.

They're my pards, so I'm biased, but I know Dave, Rennie, and King have expended a lot of effort being as authentic as possible. They won't let me their bluegrass guitar picking buddy ever sit in on anything remotely "official," for reasons pointed out in several posts, but we have a blast sometimes in informal jams. Rennie is quite good in my personal opinion and has inspired me to want to learn the fiddle eventually. He also has a uniquely raw singing voice which I personally like.

Kevin Mulrooney
          Newark, Delaware

Comment

Working...
          X