Don't mess with Musicians....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't mess with Musicians....

OFFICIAL RECORDS: Series 1, Vol 26, Part 1 (Port Hudson)

SPECIAL ORDERS,
    HDQRS. DEPARTMENT OF THE GULF,

No. 309.
    New Orleans, La., December 11, 1863.

X. A military commission, to consist of Major General F. J. Herron, U. S. Volunteers; Colonel H. B. Sergeant, First Massachusetts Cavalry; Captain Stephen Hoyt, commissary of subsistence, and Major G. Norman Lieber, will assemble at Fort Jackson, La., to-morrow at 7 a.m., or as soon thereafter as practicable, to examine into and report upon the disturbance said to have occurred in the garrison of Fort Jackson on the 9th instant. The commission will investigate the cause, the course, and the termination of the disturbance, particularly the conduct of the commanding officer, officers and men of the garrison, and will sit without regard to days or hours, reporting to these headquarters by telegraph should it be deemed advisable. Major G. Norman Lieber, judge-advocate of the Department, will act as judge-advocate of the commission.

Commission’s examination of Colonel CHARLES W. DREW, Fourth Regiment Infantry, Corps d'Afrique.

Question: "What troops composed the garrison at Fort Saint Philip and Fort Jackson on the 9th instant?"

Answer. "The garrison at Fort Jackson was composed of the Fourth Infantry, Corps d'Afrique, 500 men. The garrison at Fort Saint Philip was composed of that portion of the Fourth Regiment Infantry, Corps d'Afrique, which had just been turned over to the Fifth Infantry, Corps d'Afrique, about 300 men, and Company A, First Regiment Artillery, Corp d'Afrique."

Commission’s examination of First Lieutenant GEORGE H. KIMBALL, regimental adjutant, Fourth Regiment Infantry.

Question: "Do you know what the cause of the disturbance was?"

Answer: "It was Lieutenant-Colonel Benedict's whipping two music boys. "

Question: "What offense had the two boys to whom you refer committed? "

Answer: "The immediate offense was going to a sentinel, and telling him the sergeant of the guard had permitted them to go out, and going out on that pretense. "

Commission’s examination of Quartermaster's Sergt. George McFaul

Question: "Did you ever see him (LTC Benedict) maltreat any man; if so, when and where?"

Answer: "I saw him whip Harry Williams, a drummer boy, on the evening of the 9th instant. I have never seen him whip anybody else, but I have seen him handle men very roughly at guard-mount; shaking them. He struck Harry Williams from fifteen to twenty times with an army wagoner's whip or an artillery driver's whip. The boy had his coat off. I do not know what offense the boy had committed. "

Commission’s examination of Captain JAMES MILLER, Fourth Infantry.

Question: "Please state what unusual transactions, if any, took place at Fort Jackson on that day. "

Answer: "Everything passed off very quietly until 5.30 p.m., when Lieutenant-Colonel Benedict did take two acting musicians and flog them. During the time that he was flogging them, there was a crowd of unarmed men assembled at the sally-port. After flogging the men, Lieutenant-Colonel Benedict dispersed the men, and they went to their quarters, and appeared to be very quiet; they went to their quarters, and plotted among themselves for a general insurrection. At 6.45 they rose up in arms, and went to the center of the parade, and commenced firing into the air. They were about half the regiment. During the time I went to fall in my guard, they would not take part against their comrades, and from 5 to 8 of the guard joined the insurrections. The insurrections then scattered over the parade, and discharged their guns into the air and at the officers' quarters, crying out, "We know what General Grant told us," meaning Adjutant-General Thomas. They then went to the guard-house and released the prisoners, 3 or 4 in number. Even those who did not join the insurrections would not obey orders. They then went outside the fort, and returned in greater force. Colonel Drew made his appearance upon the parade, and ordered the well-disposed to fall in, the company officers to march the companies on the parade in close column, then to form square…….They were brought back to duty to [by] coaxing. The reason that the men were displeased with Lieutenant-Colonel Benedict was because he whip[ped] two musicians on the 9th. He whipped them severely with what I took to be a rawhide. I was stationed at Fort Saint Philip when Lieutenant-Colonel Benedict was in command there, and there was a great deal of discontent among the men there on account of his severe treatment. The men were very much enraged on the 9th, and would undoubtedly have killed Lieutenant-Colonel Benedict if they had caught him. "

At the conclusion of their investigation the commission sentenced many of the mutinous men to death by musketry; others were sentenced to several years of hard labor. Some were returned to duty. Lieutenant Colonel Benedict lost his commission and was subsequently discharged from the army. The moral of the story…don’t mess with musicians…
    [B][FONT=Georgia]Eric P. Emde[/FONT][/B]
    [URL="http://www.2ndmaryland.org"]www.2ndmaryland.org[/URL]

Re: Don't mess with Musicians....

[QUOTE=Smokey Toes;78588]OFFICIAL RECORDS: Series 1, Vol 26, Part 1 (Port Hudson)

SPECIAL ORDERS,

No. 309.

Colonel Drew made his appearance upon the parade, and ordered the well-disposed to fall in, the company officers to march the companies on the parade in close column, then to form square…….QUOTE]

I know we've covered this issue before in at least one previous thread...I thought the concensus was that "form square" was not a maneuver pertinant to the ACW...yet here dated 1863, is an order given to do such...any idea where this maneuver may be mentioned in an American Drill manual? Or would we have to assume they were using some contemporary European manual?

Paul
    Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
    (Loblolly Mess)
    [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

[QUOTE=Smokey Toes;78588]OFFICIAL RECORDS: Series 1, Vol 26, Part 1 (Port Hudson)

SPECIAL ORDERS,

No. 309.

Colonel Drew made his appearance upon the parade, and ordered the well-disposed to fall in, the company officers to march the companies on the parade in close column, then to form square…….[QUOTE]

I know we've covered this issue before in at least one previous thread...I thought the concensus was that "form square" was not a maneuver pertinant to the ACW...yet here dated 1863, is an order given to do such...any idea where this maneuver may be mentioned in an American Drill manual? Or would we have to assume they were using some contemporary European manual?

Paul
      Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
      (Loblolly Mess)
      [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
      [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
      [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
      [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

[QUOTE=Stonewall_Greyfox;78598][QUOTE=Smokey Toes;78588]OFFICIAL RECORDS: Series 1, Vol 26, Part 1 (Port Hudson)

SPECIAL ORDERS,

No. 309.

Colonel Drew made his appearance upon the parade, and ordered the well-disposed to fall in, the company officers to march the companies on the parade in close column, then to form square…….

Paul
        Forming Square is laid out in all of the major US ACW Infantry manuals.

The Bugle Calls for Forming Squares/ovals are plainly spelled out (specifically Rally on the Battalion).

There are some 9 recorded instances of units forming square during combat under duress/threat.

There's a photo of a NY Zouave unit in a formed square during a drill.

Hollow Squares/3 sided squares were normal for witnessing executions (the empty side allowed for bullets carrying downrange to not strike the innocent....)

Not a common deal, but certainly not extinct/nonexistent.
        RJ Samp
        (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
        Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

Hmmm -- so the guards refuse to try to stop the "insurrection," no one apparently lays a hand on the officer who essentially beats up a couple of musicians (ages not noted) for a somewhat minor infraction of trying to sneak out of camp, but we read

" … sentenced many of the mutinous men to death by musketry; others were sentenced to several years of hard labor."

Doesn't seem "fair" to me. Did they really follow through on making the men execute their comrades for firing weapons in the air because they were p-o'ed over what they considered an injustice?

I guess they were at war after all and should keep a military bearing in the possible face of the enemy but punishment IMHO didn't seem to fit the crime.

Paul Hadley
          Paul Hadley

Comment

ON BOARD STEAMER SUFFOLK,

Mississippi River, December 13, 1863.

The commission met pursuant to adjournment. Present, all the members. The examination of the witnesses was then closed.

The commission, having maturely considered the evidence adduced, finds and reports as follows:

The proceedings, findings, and sentences in the cases of Musician Edward B. Smith, Company B; Corporal Lewis Cady, Company K; Privates Charles Taylor, Company K; Abram Singleton, Company F; Willis Curtis, Company D, and Julius Boudro, Company D, Fourth Infantry, Corps d'Afrique, are approved. The sentences will be carried into execution at Fort Jefferson, Fla. The provost-marshal-general, Department of the Gulf, is charged with their execution.

The proceedings, findings, and sentences in the cases of Private Frank Williams, Company I, Fourth Infantry, Corps d'Afrique, and Private Abraham Victoria, Company D, Fourth Infantry, Corps d'Afrique, are approved; but the execution of the sentences is suspended until further orders, and they will be turned over to the provost-marshal-general, Department of the Gulf, to be sent to Fort Jefferson, Fla., there to be kept in close confinement.

The proceedings and findings in the cases of Corporal Henry Green, Company G; Private Jacob Kennedy, Company D; Private Volser Verrett, Company D, and Private James Hagan, Company B, all of the Fourth Regiment of Infantry, Corps d'Afrique, are approved. They will be released from confinement, and returned to duty.

In the case of Private James H. Moore, No. 2, Company F, Fourth Infantry, Corps d'Afrique, the proceedings are disapproved, the evidence being conflicting and unsatisfactory. He will be released from confinement, and returned to duty.

In the case of Lieutenant Colonel Augustus W. Benedict, the proceedings, findings, and sentence are confirmed. He ceased from this date to be an officer in the military service of the United States.
            [B][FONT=Georgia]Eric P. Emde[/FONT][/B]
            [URL="http://www.2ndmaryland.org"]www.2ndmaryland.org[/URL]

Comment

Working...
            X