Drum and Bugle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drum and Bugle

Does anybody if drum and bugle would have been used together to often?
    Thanks,
    Andrew Turner
    Co.D 27th NCT
    Liberty Rifles

"Well, by God, I’ll take my men in and if they outflank me I’ll face my men about and cut my way out. Forward, men!” Gen. John R. Cooke at Bristoe Station,VA

Re: Drum and Bugle

Well, there must be a reason that bugle marches of the time were written in two, 8-bar phrases. One would assume they were used with drums and there is mention of bugle corps plus a Winslow drawing of a bugler and drummer playing together.
    The Miffin Guard uses bugles and drums (with great effect) and while the sound is unique to our ears today (after years of fifes and drums only), it was probably more common during the Civil War.

Jari Villanueva

Comment

I assume any 2/4 bugle call could be played with a 2/4 cadence?
      Andrew Turner
      Co.D 27th NCT
      Liberty Rifles

"Well, by God, I’ll take my men in and if they outflank me I’ll face my men about and cut my way out. Forward, men!” Gen. John R. Cooke at Bristoe Station,VA

Comment

Yes

Not Bugle Calls, but Bugle Marches. The marches can be found in the 1861 Drum Fife and Drum book by William Nevins. The 2/4 marches work with any 2/4 cadence and the 6/8 marches work equally as well.

Try it, you'll love it.

And....we'll do a lot of them over the weekend at (you guessed it) The National Field Music School which will be held June 13-15, 2008 at Pamplin Historical Park.

Best

Jari Villanueva

Comment

What bugle march was that at the end of the video you had on the link to the Field Music School?
          Andrew Turner
          Co.D 27th NCT
          Liberty Rifles

Comment

Andrew

The bugle march on the youtube video is called March for Review and is found in the Artillery CW manuals. This is off our first Federal City Brass CD called "Pride of the Regiment." As luck would have it this a selection that has three parts (A-A, B-B, C) to it as opposed to the 99% of the others that only have two sections. So we had to add an extra 8 bars of drums. :)

Jari

Comment

Originally posted by 27thNCdrummer View Post
              Does anybody if drum and bugle would have been used together to often?
              Thanks,
              Well, not TOO often, but sometimes as Jari alluded too. Ruffles and Flourishes of course.....and bugle marches. Interesting that the Mexican and Russian Bugle call systems also have a drum part.....every call has a drum part. the Russian system is very extensive.

Most other countries used bugler and drums on marches.....the British system had fifers and buglers alternating the AABB marches....and sometimes even playing first the fife and then the bugle themselves! The drummers simply battered away. Their are a number of excellent marches published in nearly every bugle system........and they just scream out for adding drums to it!

The Hanoverian system has calls and beats for evey signal, but they appear to me (have never tried to put them together, sounds like a project!) to be not played together. Their Reveille (which forms the basis for the beginning of Poinsett's Cavalry Reveille!) is in AA BC BC format. Really different.

Steve Zimmerman marched with the Western Brigade drummers at the ChickADusty in 1999.....they played a number of quicksteps....American Flag, the Infantry Quick Step, several of the Vaas numbers.....the drummers had NO problem beating/improvising along....and it sounded super......very military, very precise.

An excellent question....meet with your bugler and work it out!
              RJ Samp
              (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
              Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

If you get tired of Army 2-4 and Army 6-8, here is something we threw together one day with Brian Swidell of the Stonewall Brigade on bugle. I can't remember if it was No.4 or No.5, but the rhythm of these tunes works well with double drags.
                Will Chappell

Comment

Originally posted by 33rdaladrummer View Post
                  If you get tired of Army 2-4 and Army 6-8, here is something we threw together one day with Brian Swidell of the Stonewall Brigade on bugle. I can't remember if it was No.4 or No.5, but the rhythm of these tunes works well with double drags.
                  I like it, Nevins/Vaas would have been proud!
                  RJ Samp
                  (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
                  Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

Working...
                  X