The Vacant Chair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Vacant Chair

To my Chagrin, it seems the music to "The Vacant Chair", written in 1862 as a response to the Balls Bluff fiasco, is not sung today as it was written then -- it's as if the lower harmony part of the original has become the melody today. That is, a least, by recent popular CW bands or individual artists on CD.

That leaves me stuck with the more modern version for a Vet's Day soldier grave re-dedication this weekend. It's either that for now or no one will be able to follow it.

- Dan Wykes
    Danny Wykes

Re: The Vacant Chair

That seems odd. Unfortunately I am not too familiar with that one (to my knowledge). Is it perhaps this song, off of the Library of Congress? Hope this site helps.

David Green

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
      To my Chagrin, it seems the music to "The Vacant Chair", written in 1862 as a response to the Balls Bluff fiasco, is not sung today as it was written then
      Made me look. :)

Having learned The Vacant Chair from unknown tapes and sing-alongs over the years, I was curious, so looked at the version here, copyright 1861 (though very late in 1861, I'd imagine) http://levy-test.dkc.jhu.edu/levy-cg...es=4;range=0-3

The only differences I noted from the way I've usually heard it and the sheet music were *very* minor. Like the "and" of "and our hopes in ruin lie" being a B flat rather than an E flat. I'm guessing that's not what you're talking about.

In the chorus of that sheet music, I've always heard the "air" as the primary tune.

So I'm curious--what's the "wrong" version going around? Is there really another way that most people sing it?

By the way, a good way to drive yourself and everyone else crazy at winter reenactments is to sing Jingle Bells to the period tune. :D

Hank Trent
      hanktrent@voyager.net
      Hank Trent

Comment

I don't know if this answers your question, but in a lot of early-mid 19th cent. vocal music the melody is in the tenor line. That is where it is intended to be. I don't see evidence of this in Hank's sheet music, which is arranged for instruments. If on the other hand you got ahold of a vocal piece, I would expect the melody to be in the third line down if four parts are printed. Does that help any?
        Terre Schill

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SongToTheLamb/"]SongToTheLamb[/URL]
        [URL="http://www.shapenote.net/"]Sacred Harp.mus[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Hank Trent View Post
          ...Having learned The Vacant Chair from unknown tapes and sing-alongs over the years, I was curious, so looked at the version here, copyright 1861...the only differences I noted from the way I've usually heard it and the sheet music were *very* minor...Is there really another way that most people sing it?...
          By the way, a good way to drive yourself and everyone else crazy at winter reenactments is to sing Jingle Bells to the period tune. :D...Hank Trenthanktrent@voyager.net
          Hank, Terre -

Yes that's the sheet music to which I refer. Notice especially the notes rising at the end of phrases "we shall miss him, ...one vacant chair, and golden cord is severed" and compare that to, for instance, 2nd S. Carolina's and Kathy Mattea's versions on their late CW CD collections.

I guess I could have been listening to the wrong sources, and there are no real trained singers in my unit to sort it out. I wish there were so I could just back them up on guitar and banjo. Without that, I'd really like to hear a recording per the original melody -- and before Sat. if possible.

And Hank, you're right about the period Jingle Bells as written - the refrain especially - it's not worth trying to re-establish when I lead period sings. Folks will have it in the tradition they know, and it's not as if it sounds better either way.

- Dan Wykes
          Danny Wykes

Comment

The Vacant Chair was published in 1861, not 1862, by Root & Cady of Chicago, according to an original copy I have of the piano score, words and melody line (on the top line in treble clef). The publisher, Ebenezer Root, was the brother of the author, George Frederick Root.

If you want to hear the melody and piano score, go here and click on the midi file:

Joe Whitney
            2nd SC String Band
            Md Line Field Music

Comment

Ah, Root! I actually have a good period Root tune, too, called Shining Shore. In case anyone has the Melody Assistant plug-in, here it is:

Terre Schill

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SongToTheLamb/"]SongToTheLamb[/URL]
              [URL="http://www.shapenote.net/"]Sacred Harp.mus[/URL]

Comment

Working...
              X