Remebrance Day Jam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remebrance Day Jam

Thanks to all the musicians who made it down to Gettysburg this weekend for Remembrance Day, and the jam session at O’Rourke’s. To me, the jam seems to get better every year...and longer. This year, it seemed to get a second wind that took it late into the evening.

As for the music itself, there was something about the quality of the playing and the acoustics of the setting that combined to create some of the best martial music I’ve ever heard in my 35 years of playing. Tourists and reenactors would walk up and watch transfixed, and their response as the last note would fade into silence showed they realized they were hearing something rare and exceptional.

Being sandwiched between two walls with the both ends open and the ceiling open to the sky, the sound was fuller and louder than open field playing, but never became too deafening, as it does at some indoor jams.

The ratio of fifers to drummers was balanced enough that you could actually hear most of the fife playing on some of the hardest pieces ever written.

The tempo of the playing was excellent, with quicksteps actually played pretty quick. There also seemed to be a much better blend of authentic period music and some modern muster gems, with little of the confusion from differing drum beats as is typically found whenever reenactors and Ancients come together to play.

It was also nice to see so many young musicians present, and hear some of them playing as proficiently as the old timers. With new blood like that, one need not worry about the demise of the hobby any time soon, or that interest in the old martial tunes the troops marched to might fade away like the old soldiers themselves.

Can’t wait for next year!

Joe Whitney
    2nd SC String Band
    Md. Line Field Music

Re: Remebrance Day Jam

Joe

I was there. I had the Dress Uniform on. I played right next to you.
    My wrists are from that

Adam Ward
    Sykes Regulars
    Adam Ward

Liberty Hall Fifes and Drums
    Sykes Regulars 2nd & 4th U.S. Infantry
    The Shocker Mess
    The Hedgesville Blues

Comment

I didn't play, but I watched, and it was absolutely amazing! thank you to everyone.
      Patrick Rooney

Comment

There seemed to be a lot more musicians this year... which made for a real good time .

Hey Joe...can you send me that link to the 5th NY memoir you mentioned whenever you get some free time...?

Thanks.
        [B][FONT=Georgia]Eric P. Emde[/FONT][/B]
        [URL="http://www.2ndmaryland.org"]www.2ndmaryland.org[/URL]

Comment

Re: Remembrance Day Jam

5th NY or 114th Pa? I think it was "Music on the March" we were talking about:

That's part one. To get the other two, change 01.txt to 02 and 03.

The reference to a drummer naming a tune "Hell On the Rappahannock" and its popularity among the troops is interesting, since that's one of the names Bayard found for "Hell on the Wabash".

Joe Whitney
          2nd SC String Band
          Md. Line Field Music

Comment

Yup, was there almost all day/night (with the exception of lunch and supper). Absolutely fun! Only two tunes I need to look at (list gets smaller every year...Albany Beef and No Party - both in B&E). The jam Sunday afternoon at Devil's Den was a lot of fun too (could have done without the cold and light rainy weather though). Looking forward to next year!
            Donald Heminitz

"It’s always nice to hear good music played well." — John C. Moon

Comment

Sorry to miss it guys...I had a little problem to take care of in that state up north! GO BUCKS!!!-Glad to hear everyone seemed to have a great time as usual though.
              _________
              Alex Kuhn
              CCFD
              TBDBITL
              Alex Kuhn
              Camp Chase Fifes & Drums

Comment

Working...
              X