Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drum major manual

Friends

Does anyone have knowledge of an in depth period drum major manual? The instructions in the standard drum manuals (BE, Howes, etc.) are a bit scanty.

I have seen this site : http://www.drummajor.net/1Manuals.htm

but the manuals don't seem of much help for our period

Thanks
    Alan W. Lloyd

Member of:
    1st Colorado Vol Inf.

Re: Drum major manual

You might want to contact Cooperman out of Connecticut.

www.cooperman.com

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Lloyd View Post
      Friends

Does anyone have knowledge of an in depth period drum major manual? The instructions in the standard drum manuals (BE, Howes, etc.) are a bit scanty.

I have seen this site : http://www.drummajor.net/1Manuals.htm

but the manuals don't seem of much help for our period

Thanks

Alan,

This might get you started. The attached article comes from the July 1894 number of "St. Nicholas Magazine." The article, of course, post-dates the Civil War by three decades, but I suspect most, if not all, of the moves shown had long been in use by the 1890's.

The following video is NOT related to Civil War drum-majoring, but it's features some impressive drum-majoring in the "Prussian style." The best part of the clip starts at 3:17. I suspect some ethnic German bands in the Federal Army may have adopted the thundering, "Janissary beat" as well.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Enjoy,

Mark Jaeger
      Attached Files
      Last edited by markj; 01-09-2008, 06:18 PM.
      Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Here is some other information from the 1911 U.S. Army Infantry Drill Regulations.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
        Attached Files
        Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

This is an extract from Emory Upton's revised 1874 tactical manual. However, I think the instructions listed are identical to those stated in Upton's original manual adopted in 1867.

Mark Jaeger
          Attached Files
          Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

I finally found a pdf version of Casey's Tactics. You will find the drum-major instructions therein as well.

Mark Jaeger
            Attached Files
            Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Mark

My Goodness! That's a lot of help. Thanks
              Alan W. Lloyd

Member of:
              1st Colorado Vol Inf.

Comment

Hi Alan,

Hope I didn't overload you. One interesting exercise might be to compare the different drum-major instructions in Casey, Upton, and the 1911 Drill Regulations to see how much (or little) they changed over a 50 year period.

What did you think of that military band video? Very impressive, wasn't it?

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
                Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Alan

Here are some other youtube videos below:

I do have some post civil war manuals on the drum major plus Joe Whitney did a in depth comparisons of CW staff signals.

As we discussed off forum, I will take some time at the National CW Field Music School at Pamplin Park to go over DM signals. I will make available the files I have on Drum Majoring during the Civil War.

Brass Bands at Remembrance Day 2007 in Gettysburg PAThe Federal City Brass Band

More Brass Bands at Remembrance Day 2007 in Gettysburg. The Federal City Brass Band marching and rendering honors to President Lincoln at the reviewing stand...

Best

Jari Villanueva

Comment

Working...
                  X