Cigar Box Fiddle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cigar Box Fiddle

I ran across something you folks might be interested in. I found a guy that is working on reproducing Civil War era cigar box fiddles. This is his website.

He builds other types of fiddles too. He is presently making a copy of a “dancing masters” fiddle from the 1780’s found in a Glasgow Museum for me. The thing that impresses me is he is very open to customer input and suggestions. He seems to want to get it right, if you want that level of authenticity. For example, he couldn’t get the proper mid 19th century style cigar boxes. After finding an original cigar box he’s making THOSE from scratch. Take a look at his sight. Maybe you have some suggestions for him. His contact information is:

Don Rickert, Ph.D., IDSA
    Guild of American Luthiers
    (770) 951-2520
    (404) 713-3750 (mobile)
    drickert@bellsouth.net

Larry Corn
    Larry Corn

Re: Cigar Box Fiddle

I had never heard of such a thing, so thanks for posting! Does anyone have detailed pictures of an original?
    Terre Schill

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SongToTheLamb/"]SongToTheLamb[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.shapenote.net/"]Sacred Harp.mus[/URL]

Comment

How about this image.

Sam Hayle
      Cigar Fiddle Mess
      Attached Files

Comment

I found this not so long ago too. I read their history on the "More on Old School Cigar Box Fiddles" link provided and was curious about one of their statements....

There are many photos of soldiers, Confederate and Union, playing cigar box fiddles.
        Perhaps I'm picky...but would it be fair to say "many"?? I'd be very interested in seeing some.
        Matthew Rector

Comment

Here's another version of the previously sumitted drawing by Edwin Forbes.

TITLE: Home, sweet home. A scene in winter camp
          CALL NUMBER: DRWG/US - Forbes, no. L24 (A size) [P&P]
          REPRODUCTION NUMBER: LC-USZ62-14188 (b&w film copy neg.)
          RIGHTS INFORMATION: No known restrictions on publication.
          MEDIUM: 1 drawing.
          CREATED/PUBLISHED: [ca. 1876]
          CREATOR: Forbes, Edwin, 1839-1895, artist.
          PART OF: Civil War drawing collection
          REPOSITORY: Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA
          Attached Files
          Matthew Rector

Comment

Just to start off with, I'd get rid of the chin rest and try using wooden fiddle tuning pegs (or hand carved pegs) instead of machine tuners.

There are many photos of soldiers, Confederate and Union, playing cigar box fiddles.
            Perhaps I'm picky...but would it be fair to say "many"?? I'd be very interested in seeing some.
            Me too.
            Last edited by Amtmann; 01-14-2008, 04:54 PM.
            Rick Bailey
            Melodian Banjoist from Allendale and Founder of Waffle Schnapps.

Comment

I have two very close friends that play the cigar box fiddles, If I am not mistaken, I even think that they may be orginials. They are "The Prairie County Avengers." I will see if I can get some photographs,however,I will post their website if they have in their possession photographs of the fiddle.

Last edited by Parault; 01-14-2008, 09:23 AM.
              [B][FONT="Georgia"][I]P. L. Parault[/I][/FONT][/B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][/FONT]

[I][B]"Three score and ten I can remember well, within the volume of which time I have seen hours dreadful and things strange: but this sore night hath trifled former knowings."

William Shakespeare[/B][/I]

Comment

I passed along your critiques to the maker. He sent the following.

“One of the replies you collected revealed a serious error on my part. It has to do with photos. The fact is, there is only one known drawing (not a photo) of a Union soldier actually playing a cigar box fiddle, only many reports of soldiers making and playing them…mea culpa. As far as the chin rest is concerned, it should not be in pictures of the instrument, as chin rests were not used in the mid 19th century. Now, when it comes to the machine heads, they would have definitely been an option available to the field builder of a cigar box fiddle as well as standard violin pegs. The first C.F. Martin guitars from 1833 had machine heads; albeit not the Grover type that we use, which are early 20th century vintage.”

“Anyway, please pass on my appreciation for pointing out my inaccurate statement and the misleading photo on our website of a chinrest installed.”

I pointed out the chinrest and pegs to him during one of our earlier conversations. I should have mentioned gut strings, but I probably forgot to. Personally I like Rick’s idea of the hand carved pegs. Like I said… he is easy to work with, and willing to adapt to personal preference.

Larry Corn
                Larry Corn

Comment

Working...
                X