Nice drummer photo - EBay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice drummer photo - EBay

Super photo of a drummer. The seller says he's "kept it locked away" for a long time: given that he's crazy enough to ask $2600+ for the image, he can lock it back up as far as I'm concerned.

Enjoy anyway,

Mark Jaeger

P.S. Here's another nice image ID'd to a drummer in the 7th Rhode Island. Needless to say, the seller for this one also wants a sizeable chunk of change:

Attached Files
    Last edited by markj; 01-17-2008, 08:41 PM.
    Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Re: Nice drummer photo - EBay

I for one am very suspicious of both the picture case as well as of the photo itself.

Both look to be in virtual near mint, if not mint condition, and I feel I should doubt their authenticity.

Comment

Hi Bryan,

I'd think again: I, for one, have owned plenty of authentic images that were near-pristine (one, a c.1856 relievo ambrotype, is sitting in front of me as I type this). Period images, and the individuals depicted in them, have a certain "look" that is very difficult, albeit not impossible, to fake. Conversely, many list members will testify to seeing images that "couldn't possibly be period"...but are. I've posted some of these types of images on the forum in past years

From all appearances, both drummer photographs are the real deals. Unfortunately, the vendors want more than I, and most other folks, would be willing to pay for them. Quelle horror!

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
      Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Thanks, Mark...I appreciate the notes. I have no doubt about the second photo's legitamacy, however, the first, which was my only doubt, still strikes me as suspicious. I am in no way saying you're wrong, but I have seen my fair share of reproductions, specifically those that are of original 19th century photographs, attemptively being passed off as authentic when they are not.

Having worked in museums' research and development departments, photography falsities do tend to rank high among the list of forgeries. There are some real good duplicators out there. Whether it's paintings, furniture, or even photographs, you have to know what you're looking for, or else being fooled could catch even the wisest of purchasers by suprise.

In the end, I suppose a pair of white gloves, a high profile light, and some professional grade lenses would make determination easier.

If it is indeed the real deal, then I would hope that in time it finds its way to a museum or to a local GAR hall, because it is a real treasure.

Comment

Originally posted by markj View Post
          Hi Bryan,

I'd think again: I, for one, have owned plenty of authentic images that were near-pristine (one, a c.1856 relievo ambrotype, is sitting in front of me as I type this). Period images, and the individuals depicted in them, have a certain "look" that is very difficult, albeit not impossible, to fake. Conversely, many list members will testify to seeing images that "couldn't possibly be period"...but are. I've posted some of these types of images on the forum in past years

From all appearances, both drummer photographs are the real deals. Unfortunately, the vendors want more than I, and most other folks, would be willing to pay for them. Quelle horror!

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
          Mark: I agree. I have seen some ambros and tins that are so clear and perfect they will take your breath away. Some of these I was looking at in the 1970s before the technology for reproducing them was reinvented. Others were still in possession of the famlies. They do exist and most are not traded on e-bay. And yes, they bring preimum prices.

As for the CDV, I would not buy any CDV from e-bay unless there was a return policy (which btw, the drummer dealer doesn't have). CDVs are easily faked.
          Jim Mayo
          Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
          http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Working...
          X