Glendy Burk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glendy Burk

Any of you great banjo players in here have tab to this song or know where I can find it? I have looked for days on the web. I very hard song to find beginner tab for. Thanks in advance for your time.
    John Barr
    2nd Delaware

Re: Glendy Burk

The absolute best version available of this song for someone specifically trying to re-create this song as it sounded during the "waw" would be one written and published at that time. As it happens, James Buckley's "New Banjo Book" of 1860 has an arrangement of the Glendy Burke, as an accompaniment to a vocalist. This particular arrangement is especially interesting because it shows us how a banjoist of the period might approach ensemble playing.

Google Elderly Instruments in Lansing, Michigan, I think they sell a reprint of Buckley's New Banjo Book.
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Carl Anderton[/FONT]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]"A very good idea of the old style of playing may be formed by referring to the [I]Briggs Banjo Instructor."[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][B]Albert Baur, Sgt., Co. A, 102nd Regiment, NY Volunteer Infantry.[/B][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Old Cremona View Post
      The absolute best version available of this song for someone specifically trying to re-create this song as it sounded during the "waw" would be one written and published at that time. As it happens, James Buckley's "New Banjo Book" of 1860 has an arrangement of the Glendy Burke, as an accompaniment to a vocalist. This particular arrangement is especially interesting because it shows us how a banjoist of the period might approach ensemble playing.

Google Elderly Instruments in Lansing, Michigan, I think they sell a reprint of Buckley's New Banjo Book.
      Thank you Sir, I will look there.
      John Barr
      2nd Delaware

Comment

Very good, John; I checked and they still have them in stock. It is a reprint done by Joe Ayers, who is a brilliant period-style musician.

Of course, it's in notation, not tab, but don't let that stop you. With a little application, banjo notation becomes a snap. There's just not that many notes used the the minstrel banjo style:embaresse. And once you get it down you have another period skill under your belt.
        [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Carl Anderton[/FONT]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]"A very good idea of the old style of playing may be formed by referring to the [I]Briggs Banjo Instructor."[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
        [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][B]Albert Baur, Sgt., Co. A, 102nd Regiment, NY Volunteer Infantry.[/B][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
        X