Lilly Dale, a popular air.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lilly Dale, a popular air.

This song, from Briggs Banjo Instructor, was a popular air in the 1850's and 1860's. I play it dressed as a Confederate infantryman in honor of my great-great grandfather, Peter J. Anderton, and Charles H. Mattison, a Confederate soldier who took banjo lessons from the great Frank Converse before the war, and wrote of playing music while in military service.

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]Carl Anderton[/FONT]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]"A very good idea of the old style of playing may be formed by referring to the [I]Briggs Banjo Instructor."[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][B]Albert Baur, Sgt., Co. A, 102nd Regiment, NY Volunteer Infantry.[/B][/FONT]

Re: Lilly Dale, a popular air.

Awesome! I like this new one, Carl. Also, love the new avatar you've got there. You are so hardcoool. (just kiddin') Hope to see you soon! Next time will you show me a few lessons on the banjo? I know I'll probably suck, but would love to at least try it out.
    Anna Allen
    <a href="http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/">Star of the West Society</a>
    [COLOR="DarkRed"][B]The Cherry Bounce Girls Mess[/B][/COLOR] :p

[I]It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word.[/I]-Andrew Jackson

Comment

Very nice, Carl. I feel your great great G. would be well pleased, and a great tip of the hat to Soldier Mattison as well.

- Dan Wykes
      Danny Wykes

Comment

Thanks Carl!

Keep the great music coming! Like that CD jacket too...I need one of those.

Anna: Give it a go - you never know. You might be the next Banjo Hero!
        Regards,
        Scott Dallimore
        14th SCVI Co. I "McCalla's Rifles"
        Reedy River Mess - 16th S.C. The Greenville Rg't
        -------------------------------------

Comment

As usual, Mr. Anderton comes through with another outstanding performance.
          Rick Bailey
          Melodian Banjoist from Allendale and Founder of Waffle Schnapps.

Comment

Carl,
            Absolutely brilliant!!!!!! Will you be entertaining us as we retreat "Into The Piney Woods" in March '09???? We'll need something to easy the weary miles.
            Patrick Reardon.
            The Lazy Jack Mess, UK

Comment

Wonderful as always Carl...Keep up the good work.
              Travis Franklin
              "Patrick Fhailen"

The Missoura Shirkers
              4th Mo. Inf.

"The Northern onslaught upon slavery was no more than a piece of specious humbug designed to conceal its desire for economic control of the Southern states." Charles Dickens, 1862

Comment

Originally posted by Tarheel View Post
                Carl,
                Absolutely brilliant!!!!!! Will you be entertaining us as we retreat "Into The Piney Woods" in March '09???? We'll need something to easy the weary miles.
                Patrick Reardon.
                The Lazy Jack Mess, UK
                Thank you, Patrick. I will definitely see about arranging a pass of some sort for "ITPW."

I'm sorry I didn't attend BGR with you and all the Lazy Jacks. I felt bad letting down all my Ground Hornet buddies. Unfortunately, those longer events, requiring almost a week of personal vacation, place an enormous strain on my "domestic tranquility."
                Last edited by Old Cremona; 02-09-2008, 03:57 AM.

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]"A very good idea of the old style of playing may be formed by referring to the [I]Briggs Banjo Instructor."[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
                [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][B]Albert Baur, Sgt., Co. A, 102nd Regiment, NY Volunteer Infantry.[/B][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Anna Allen View Post
                  Awesome! I like this new one, Carl. Also, love the new avatar you've got there. You are so hardcoool. (just kiddin') Hope to see you soon! Next time will you show me a few lessons on the banjo? I know I'll probably suck, but would love to at least try it out.
                  Ready when you are, Anna. Here's a look at the impression we'll be going for...
                  Attached Files

Comment

Carl! Where on earth did you get that image?? Okay, that's it, I need to learn. What a cool impression. I would love to do that!
                    Anna Allen
                    <a href="http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/">Star of the West Society</a>
                    [COLOR="DarkRed"][B]The Cherry Bounce Girls Mess[/B][/COLOR] :p

[I]It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word.[/I]-Andrew Jackson

Comment

Working...
                    X