Charles C. Converse, Guitarist.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charles C. Converse, Guitarist.

The Converse family of New York was certaintly gifted musically (and hard-working!). Franklin Buchannan Converse is well-known to banjo enthusiasts for his invaluable early method books. His older brother Charles Crozat Converse was equally dedicated to disseminating musical techniques as evidenced by his New Method For Guitar published in 1855. I have a picture of the cover, courtesy of a poster on the Briggs Banjo Google Forum. I wish I could find a copy of the whole thing.

Charles Converse studied music at the Leipzig Conservatory in the mid-1850's and made the acquaintence of Franz Liszt and Louis Spohr. Upon returning to the States he studied at Albany University and gave up the profession of music for one in Law. He kept composing at least on a part time basis, however, and wrote the music for "What a Friend We Have in Jesus" (1868) and the charming "Welcome Home" (1866), a response to the plaintive "Do They Miss Me at Home."
    Attached Files
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Carl Anderton[/FONT]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]"A very good idea of the old style of playing may be formed by referring to the [I]Briggs Banjo Instructor."[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][B]Albert Baur, Sgt., Co. A, 102nd Regiment, NY Volunteer Infantry.[/B][/FONT]

Re: Charles C. Converse, Guitarist.

Originally posted by Old Cremona View Post
    ...Charles Crozat Converse was equally dedicated to disseminating musical techniques as evidenced by his New Method For Guitar published in 1855. I have a picture of the cover, courtesy of a poster on the Briggs Banjo Google Forum. I wish I could find a copy of the whole thing...
    Carl -

The cover of the "New Method For Guitar" I found in Gura's book about Martin guitars. I grabbed the image to forward to the Briggs site (thanks Carol!). I assume Mr. Gura has a source for that tutor if you wanted to contact him about where to get the rest of the pages.

The other page you posted "The Old Fifer" I grabbed from a companion music collection that mentions "New Method For The Guitar" on its cover. It's a set of patriotic songs adapted by Charles C. Converse in 1856: "Sunbeams Melodies".

I place the cover and the other pages of 'Sunbeams' here, because they are after all patriotic standards known by soldiers both sides in the CW in a period transcription for guitar.

Hope this helps.

Dan Wykes
    Last edited by Danny; 05-25-2008, 11:51 PM.
    Danny Wykes

Comment

****I'm deleting this post in an attempt to get over my dislike of Mr. Danny. Not that I'm getting over it but I've got to quit making jabs at him with my posts. Will, thanks for getting the thread back on track.****
      Last edited by Old Cremona; 02-29-2008, 09:35 PM. Reason: I'm a baaad boy.
      [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Carl Anderton[/FONT]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]"A very good idea of the old style of playing may be formed by referring to the [I]Briggs Banjo Instructor."[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
      [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][B]Albert Baur, Sgt., Co. A, 102nd Regiment, NY Volunteer Infantry.[/B][/FONT]

Comment

Fife and drum sheet music for "Do They Miss Me at Home" from Col. H.C. Hart's manual:

Almost easy enough for a fifer with a deviated septum, yet a great tune, with the much neglected double drag drumbeat.
        Will Chappell

Comment

Working...
        X