Old King Crow in the Trans Miss.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old King Crow in the Trans Miss.

Kyle Pretzl on the bones. This kid can really play!!
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Carl Anderton[/FONT]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]"A very good idea of the old style of playing may be formed by referring to the [I]Briggs Banjo Instructor."[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][B]Albert Baur, Sgt., Co. A, 102nd Regiment, NY Volunteer Infantry.[/B][/FONT]

Re: Old King Crow in the Trans Miss.

I met the man who sang that very song in the Ride with the Devil movie and he did serenade us with it. That was the best thing about the 140th Antietam. I am glad that others have picked up that minstrels tune.
    Thomas J. Alleman
    "If the choice be mine, I chose to march." LOR

Comment

Thanks Carl!

Another great song.
      Regards,
      Scott Dallimore
      14th SCVI Co. I "McCalla's Rifles"
      Reedy River Mess - 16th S.C. The Greenville Rg't
      -------------------------------------

Comment

All I could do was smile and tap my foot!

Thanks for posting!!!
        Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
        Civil War Digital Digest
        Sally Port Mess

Comment

Thanks for posting that one Carl. The family got a real kick out of it.
          Matthew S. Laird
          [email]CampMcCulloch@gmail.com[/email]
          [COLOR="DarkRed"]Rogers Lodge #460 F&AM

Cane Hill College Mess, Company H, McRae's Arkansas Infantry
          Auxiliary, New Madrid Guards Mess
          [/COLOR]
          [I]"An association of men who will not quarrel with one another is a thing which has never yet existed, from the greatest confederacy of nations down to a town meeting or a vestry. "[/I] Thomas Jefferson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Yeah that boy can throw down on dem bones.I really think that when we were playing around the fire was the highlight of my trip to Pea Ridge.I have been playing the bones for two years and he is way better!
            Thanks for posting this Carl and good to hang out with you at the event....enjoy the shirt!
            Kiev Thomason
            a.k.a. King Corn:baring_te
            WIG
            Armory Guards
            Forest Park Lodge #399
            Forest Park GA.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiev Thomason View Post
              Yeah that boy can throw down on dem bones.I really think that when we were playing around the fire was the highlight of my trip to Pea Ridge.I have been playing the bones for two years and he is way better!
              Thanks for posting this Carl and good to hang out with you at the event....enjoy the shirt!
              Kiev, it was a treat meeting you. I was gonna make a buddy of mine buy this overshirt 'cause he needs to improve, but I might not be able to let it go :wink_smil

Man, kids just learn so fast it's amazing. Kyle wants to learn banjo next, and he'll probably be kicking my butt before long.:cry_smile

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]"A very good idea of the old style of playing may be formed by referring to the [I]Briggs Banjo Instructor."[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
              [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][B]Albert Baur, Sgt., Co. A, 102nd Regiment, NY Volunteer Infantry.[/B][/FONT]

Comment

I do believe this clip showcases the aformentioned up and coming young bonesman even more. What a pleasure!! Thank y'all for making them available.
                Terre Hood Biederman
                Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Old King Crow was/is Virginia Minstrel tune and not a published well founded standard with national exposure.

How did such a tune make its way to the TM ?

From an accuracy standpoint is this akin to a TMD soldier wearing an RD ?

Mind you this is discussion and not a cheap shot at these lads who are are doing a fine job. Please know that.

OKC

Caw, Caw, Caw

Comment

Originally posted by OldKingCrow View Post
                    Old King Crow was/is Virginia Minstrel tune and not a published well founded standard with national exposure.

Well, it was at least published as sheet music in 1847 "as sung by the Virginia Minstrels"

Eastern minstrel performances were hitting California at least as early as 1848. History of California by Hubert Howe at http://books.google.com/books?id=UOoNAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA243 reports in 1847 "some of the New York volunteers gave minstrel entertainments at Santa Barbara and Monterey," and "The Virginia minstrels played with success during the winter, Star and Cal., Dec. 9, 1848."

I don't know if it was the actual Virginia minstrels, but with a name like that it's clear where they were getting their inspiration. I believe George Christy's Minstrels played in California in 1858. So there was a fair amount of cultural sharing coast-to-coast. I don't think it wouldn't be surprising to hear some of the same minstrel songs in the west as well as the east.

Hank Trent
                    hanktrent@voyager.net
                    Last edited by Hank Trent; 03-12-2008, 11:00 AM. Reason: fix italics and clarify
                    Hank Trent

Comment

Doh !!! I should have LOC'd before posting....I had docsouth searched it to no avail.

Excellent work. My question stems from discussions last month with Marty Liebschner (Banjoist in the devil rides movie) when I asked the similar question regarding regional minstrel tunes widely known across the CS armies. Seemingly the minstrel tunes are localized/sectional in nature we concluded they would not be as known as say a standard such as Lorena, Katie Wells, etc.....

Would say an AOT soldier neccessarily know the tunes Sweeney was pick'n out for Ole' Beauty to croon along to.

Thanks.
                      Last edited by OldKingCrow; 03-12-2008, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Thasa great! I sees de young massah is cooking up de ho cake by de fir whiles yous boys sings de tune. My belly be hongry for de ho cake!
                        Paul Herring

Liberty Hall Fifes and Drums
                        Stonewall Brigade

Comment

...regarding regional minstrel tunes widely known across the CS armies. Seemingly the minstrel tunes are localized/sectional in nature we concluded they would not be as known as say a standard such as Lorena, Katie Wells, etc...
                          It's quite clear from period literature that Minstrel music performances and the sheet music made popular from those were in no way "regional", in fact definitely the opposite. They were a significant cultural export, not only from the Northeast to the South, but to England and the continent, and as far as the Sandwich Islands (Hawaii etc) and Australia as well, and not uncommonly, and within months of the first stateside perfomances and publishing.

It is generally agreed by historians that Minstrelry was one of the first expressions of "pop" (popular) music the world had ever experienced, in part because of the telegraph and the many newspapers read by the first sizeable populations of literate people, but also because it was highly interesting and "exotic".

To follow the money alone tells the story, and there were many bunches of money made selling individual sheet music, collections, and tutors, including Old King Crow and others, a practice that would have quickly collapsed except for their being available everywhere, if only through the mails. Minstrel shows and sales of printed Minstrel tunes continued throughout the CW, including in the South.

Dan Wykes
                          Last edited by Danny; 03-12-2008, 04:56 PM.
                          Danny Wykes

Comment

hey thanks yall but the bones don't only make up the song lol it''s the whole band, cause without the other fellers playin all the other instryuments the sond wouldn't be the same

-Kyle Pretzl
                            Kyle (Cuffie) Pretzl
                            The Tater Mess

Comment

It's quite simple, really. Old King Crow was published, in standard notation, in the seminal Briggs Banjo Instructor.Not only does this excellent method book give us early banjo repertiore, but it gives us the style that was in popular usage at the time. It is the Briggs version that I'm playing.

Comment

Working...
                              X