Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Old King Crow in the Trans Miss.

Carl,
    Absolutely wonderful!!!!! Do you think you could persuade young master Pretzl to join us next March when we go "Into The Piney Woods"??? The two of you would make the event even more special. Please, I beg of you, keep the music coming. It brings everything just that much closer for those of us on the far side of the Atlantic.
    Many thanks,
    Patrick Reardon,
    The Lazy Jack Mess, UK

Comment

Mr Anderton...

Thanks for squaring me away on that. I acquired a period banjo that after some restoration..turned out pretty nice. It really rings out with the new natural head..though I have no exp with using it in the elements.

I will get a copy of Brigg's asap..for certain sure. I have been pick'n out tunes from Marty's Play Dat Banjar and Forgotten Times Forgotten Music but being a manic neurotic accuracy hound I was worried that being so Virginny in nature I would farb it up playing them in the deep South or too far removed from the Ol' Dominion.

Being a long time guitar picker I really enjoy a new approach and my new 5 string friend.

Great work keep it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarheel View Post
        Carl,
        Absolutely wonderful!!!!! Do you think you could persuade young master Pretzl to join us next March when we go "Into The Piney Woods"??? The two of you would make the event even more special. Please, I beg of you, keep the music coming. It brings everything just that much closer for those of us on the far side of the Atlantic.
        Many thanks,
        Patrick Reardon,
        The Lazy Jack Mess, UK
        Patrick,

You are very kind. I'm sure that L'Infant terrible would love attending an event the quality of IPW. Your kind entreaties make it hard to resist.
        [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Carl Anderton[/FONT]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]"A very good idea of the old style of playing may be formed by referring to the [I]Briggs Banjo Instructor."[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
        [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][B]Albert Baur, Sgt., Co. A, 102nd Regiment, NY Volunteer Infantry.[/B][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by OldKingCrow View Post
          Mr Anderton...

Thanks for squaring me away on that. I acquired a period banjo that after some restoration..turned out pretty nice. It really rings out with the new natural head..though I have no exp with using it in the elements.

I will get a copy of Brigg's asap..for certain sure. I have been pick'n out tunes from Marty's Play Dat Banjar and Forgotten Times Forgotten Music but being a manic neurotic accuracy hound I was worried that being so Virginny in nature I would farb it up playing them in the deep South or too far removed from the Ol' Dominion.

Being a long time guitar picker I really enjoy a new approach and a new friend.

Great work keep it up.
          Christopher,

Sounds like you're serious about learning early banjo music. If I can be of any help please don't hesitate to ask. Are you aware of the Early Banjo Gathering that George Wunderlich puts on at the Pry House barn in early September? It's the place to be for minstrel banjo enthusiasts.

I met Marty a few years ago at Franklin. He's a super nice guy. I would hesitate forming your style around his method books, though. Like the research standards we have for everything else in this hobby, authentic music should be based on primary source materials. The Briggs tutor, as well as the Phil Rice method of 1858 and James Buckley's New Banjo Book from 1860 has enough material to keep anyone busy for a good long time.

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]"A very good idea of the old style of playing may be formed by referring to the [I]Briggs Banjo Instructor."[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
          [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][B]Albert Baur, Sgt., Co. A, 102nd Regiment, NY Volunteer Infantry.[/B][/FONT]

Comment

Carl, what's the first song on that clip provided by Mrs. Lawson? I recognize Grapevine Twist as the second song of the second video posted here. I don't recognize the first.

Oh, yeah. That boy really shakes dem bones. As a birthday present from Mrs. Silas, I got a new pair ob bone bones.
            Silas Tackitt,
            one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Originally posted by Silas View Post
              Carl, what's the first song on that clip.
              Briggs Breakdown.

Comment

Awesome!! I love the new videos. And nice beard, Frank. If you're reading this Frank, I hope you keep it for this weekend. Unless your wife already made you shave.

Carl, I recognize that red shawl you're wearing around your neck. :) Glad you could put it to some use. Heard you guys FROZE out there. Can't wait to see the gang next month!
                Anna Allen
                <a href="http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/">Star of the West Society</a>
                [COLOR="DarkRed"][B]The Cherry Bounce Girls Mess[/B][/COLOR] :p

[I]It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word.[/I]-Andrew Jackson

Comment

Originally posted by Anna Allen View Post
                  Can't wait to see the gang next month!
                  I've got a George Wunderlich banjo all set up for you to practice on at the Boone Village, Anna.

Comment

I loved the vid of Old King Crow that started this but it seems to be gone. Any chance of it coming back? The mix of music including the use of shoes what great.
                    Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
                    Civil War Digital Digest
                    Sally Port Mess

Comment

They are awesome.
                      Mark G. Lewis

Formerly with the "State's Rights Guard" & the 10th Texas @ Pickett's Mill

"I was told that even if a regiment was clothed in proper uniform by the Government, it would be parti-colored again in a week, as the soldiers preferred wearing the coarse home-spun jackets and trousers made by their mothers and sisters at home. The Generals very wisely allow them to please themselves in this respect"~Freemantle~

Comment

Originally posted by pvt_jb View Post
                        I loved the vid of Old King Crow that started this but it seems to be gone. Any chance of it coming back? The mix of music including the use of shoes what great.
                        It is still there. Just search on "Old King Crow" on YouTube and it will be among the first hits.
                        John Wickett
                        Former Carpetbagger
                        Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Working...
                        X