Conundrums.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conundrums.

Those of you who do Civil War-era music presentations for the general public might like to salt your between-song patter with some original conundrums, so here are a few I've collected. If anyone else collect's these please share. I've got more but I prefer a quid pro quo kind of deal.

(from Unsworth's Burnt Cork Lyrics, 1858)

What is the difference between a flat surface and the leaden image of Satan?
    One is dead level and the other a lead devil.

What is the difference between a physician and a magician?
    One is a cup-per and the other a sorcer-er.

What is the difference between a hen and a ship.
    A hen lays one egg, and a ship lays to.

Why is an unwelcome visitor like a shady tree?
    Because we are glad when he leaves.

(from Christy's New Songster, 1863)

What tree represent's a person who persists in incurring debt?
    A willow.

At what time by a clock is a pun most effective?
    When it strikes one.

Why will the proprietors of the stump-tail cows be oblidged to sell them wholesale?
    Because it's impossible to re-tail them.

Why is the sun like a loaf of bread?
    Because they both rise in the y-east.
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Carl Anderton[/FONT]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]"A very good idea of the old style of playing may be formed by referring to the [I]Briggs Banjo Instructor."[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][B]Albert Baur, Sgt., Co. A, 102nd Regiment, NY Volunteer Infantry.[/B][/FONT]

Re: Conundrums.

Very nice Carl! I may just have to use those.
    Andrew Turner
    Co.D 27th NCT
    Liberty Rifles

"Well, by God, I’ll take my men in and if they outflank me I’ll face my men about and cut my way out. Forward, men!” Gen. John R. Cooke at Bristoe Station,VA

Comment

Thanks Carl!

Love that period wit LOL!
      Regards,
      Scott Dallimore
      14th SCVI Co. I "McCalla's Rifles"
      Reedy River Mess - 16th S.C. The Greenville Rg't
      -------------------------------------

Comment

OK, those are pretty good but I don't get a couple of them. Perhaps they can be explained to me. How is a willow tree representative of someone that incurs debt? Willow - no matter how I pronounce it or think about it I don't get a connection.

Difference between sorcerer and physician. That one's lost on me too.

It is interesting to look at period newspapers etc and see what was passing for humor at the time. Some of it - well, I guess you just had to be there huh?
        Michael Comer
        one of the moderator guys

Comment

Michael,
          I didn't get those either. I also didn't get the one about the clock pun.
          Andrew Turner
          Co.D 27th NCT
          Liberty Rifles

"Well, by God, I’ll take my men in and if they outflank me I’ll face my men about and cut my way out. Forward, men!” Gen. John R. Cooke at Bristoe Station,VA

Comment

OK, those are pretty good but I don't get a couple of them. Perhaps they can be explained to me.
            How is a willow tree representative of someone that incurs debt? Willow - no matter how I pronounce it or think about it I don't get a connection.
            "Will Owe"

Difference between sorcerer and physician. That one's lost on me too.
            Cup-per (reference to the medical practice of cupping, ie "one who cups") and Sorcer-er (one who practices magic). It is play on "cup and saucer"
            Brian Koenig
            SGLHA
            Hedgesville Blues

Comment

Hello All. Here are a few more conundrums I found in a book circa 1829 (The Boy's Own Book, by William Clarke):

Why is a peach stone like a regiment?
              Because it has a kernel (colonel).

Why do we all go to bed?
              Because the bed will not come to us.

Why is a pack of cards like a garden?
              There are spades in it.

What burns to keep a secret?
              Sealing wax.
              Sincerely,
              William H. Chapman
              Liberty Rifles

"They are very ignorant, but very desperate and very able." -Harper's Weekly on the Confederate Army, December 14, 1861

Comment

Very cool Carl if i had a band i'd use some of em lol are yall goona use them in your act? and where do you find those kind of things?
                Kyle (Cuffie) Pretzl
                The Tater Mess

Comment

I figured out the "will owe" part this afternoon while driving down the road and mulling things over.

The other one about the cupper and sorcerer, I got the references to but it still just seems like a really bad conundrum - the 1860's version of the ultimate groaner I guess.
                  Michael Comer
                  one of the moderator guys

Comment

Originally posted by tater_cuffie View Post
                    Very cool Carl if i had a band i'd use some of em lol are yall goona use them in your act? and where do you find those kind of things?
                    Conundrums were a popular humour form of the day--so much so that the common soldier would have had access whenever the mail ran--and so can you. Open up most any Harper's Weekly reprint, and within the first or second page of the issue is a column call "Humors of the Day" . Then, as now, the pun relied upon pronunciation and common cultural references to make a joke that often produced groans---a fact acknowledged with each of the items below.

Delivery is, of course, as important as the root of the joke--and I find that if I am reading a conumdrum and do not 'get it', reading it aloud with proper pauses will normally enlighten me.

From the March 2, 1861 issue:

What's the difference between a Man with a sore throat and a Manilla cheroot?------Why, the one is a Man ill and the other is a Man iller.
                    [Don't frown, reader, please. The cold weather has really frozen up our flow of wit and this is the first symptom of its having begun to thaw]

At the root of many conumdrums there is often a pun. From the same issue, but not quite in normal conumdrum form:

If you saw that dear boy Walter going to pull the trigger of his rifle, and you said so, what Shakespearian quotation would you use ?----"Wat's in an aim".
                    [Contributor discharged uncured]

Now, I can't say that I normally spend a Sunday evening perusing the Harper's--in this case, I was cutting up a reprint, in order to reline bandboxes and trunks for the spring before packing my clothing inside them.
                    Terre Hood Biederman
                    Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                    Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

I've never heard Conundrums before... those are funny.
                      Rick Bailey
                      Melodian Banjoist from Allendale and Founder of Waffle Schnapps.

Comment

Mellodians!!

And when I really don't get a conundrum, I try to think of how it would sound in Rick Musselman's voice. Or most any other Mellodian. Except that one with the orange and purple hat :p
                        Terre Hood Biederman
                        Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                        Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Do You Give It Up? A Collection of the Most Amusing Conundrums, Riddles, Etc. Of The Day, 1861.

From the above book:

Why is a laundress the greatest traveller in the world?
                          Because she is constantly crossing the line, and going from pole to pole.

Hank Trent
                          hanktrent@voyager.net
                          Last edited by Hank Trent; 03-30-2008, 10:08 PM. Reason: fix html
                          Hank Trent

Comment

Originally posted by Hank Trent View Post
                            Do You Give It Up? A Collection of the Most Amusing Conundrums, Riddles, Etc. Of The Day, 1861.

From the above book:

Why is a laundress the greatest traveller in the world?
                            Because she is constantly crossing the line, and going from pole to pole.

Hank Trent
                            hanktrent@voyager.net
                            I am in your debt for that excellent link, Hank. S'pose there's any other period comedy books in thar?
                            [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Carl Anderton[/FONT]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]"A very good idea of the old style of playing may be formed by referring to the [I]Briggs Banjo Instructor."[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
                            [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][B]Albert Baur, Sgt., Co. A, 102nd Regiment, NY Volunteer Infantry.[/B][/FONT]

Comment

If not funny, at least documented...

Why is a pretty foot and ankle like one of Shakespare's comedies? Because its "all well that ends well."

Miss Simpleton recently fainted upon being told that her betrothed had several engagements since the war began.

Mrs. Partington wants to know if it were not intended that women should drive their husbands, why are they put through the bridle ceremony?

Why are henpecked husbands like crinoline? Because they are continually under petticoat rule!

What sort of capital punishment do most men suffer daily? The want of funds.

What's the difference between a suit of clothes and a law suit? One provides us with pockets, the other empties them.

Why was Adam an actor? Because he was the leading man.

What did Adam and Eve do when they were expelled from Eden? They raised Cain.

"One rod makes an acher," as the boy said when the schoolmaster dusted his back.

What sort of drums are the most stirring? Kettle drums. What sort are the most indelicate? Bass drums. What sort are the most boorish? Humdrums. What sort are the most amusing? Con-un-drums.

-excerpts from The Camp Jester, or, Amusement for the Mess, 71 p., Augusta, Ga.
                              Published by Blackmar & Brother 1864

Dan Wykes

"Squad! attention!" Paddy stood erect, but looked indignant. "Squad! front!" He fronted, but being no longer able to smother his rage, exclaimed: "Look here, mister, my name's Pat Mahoney, and by the mother of Moses, I won't be called "Squad" by any man."
                              Last edited by Danny; 05-25-2008, 11:51 PM.
                              Danny Wykes

Comment

Working...
                              X